main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Fisto's Disco: The LACWAC Social Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by G-FETT, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
  2. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
  3. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
  4. Sgt Crowfield

Sgt Crowfield Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 27, 1999
    *sigh* Back to the old meds. Didn't want to take this stuff ever again, but ... well, at least the pangs are gone. Mostly. Which feels rather good after a four-weeks-long painfest :).

5. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    First draft completed, a whopping 11,357 words. It's going to take a little while to shave that down to within the 10% margin. But at least I have something.

6. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Reminds me of how a feel about sleep aids although I know its not the same thing as all. Glad you feel better.

Sgt Crowfield likes this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Now that, my friend, is a dissertation. Good luck with the trim; sometimes it's hard to know what to cut.

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy likes this.
  8. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    Thanks, I'm getting my parents to proofread it, since they offered.

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    My father proofread all my grad school papers. I'm pretty sure the one about same-sex couples in children's books made his eyes cross.

10. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    You must post that.

One proofreading done, dad said on the whole it was very well written and interesting. Looks like I could definitely shave off a couple hundred words.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL, it's 10 pages in Word, but the Cliff Notes version is this:

The paper was on book challenges and I focused on books that have been challenged due to the subject of homosexuality. Harry Potter has been challenged multiple times due to "witchcraft" but anyway...

And Tango Makes Three has been on the American Library Association's list of top ten most frequently challenged books since 2000, as two penguins hatched an adopted egg in the Central Park Zoo and conservatives couldn't handle the fact that the penguins were both dudes and had been trying to hatch a rock before the zookeepers found an abandoned egg and gave it to them. Tango was the chick that hatched from the egg. This book and its challenges were the focus of the paper but I also included Daddy's Roommate and Heather Has Two Mommies. Conservatives are of course arguing that the books "teach homosexuality to children" (mmmkay) and on the Tango book, "it isn't a true story because Silo was doing a girl penguin later" (so he's bi--is there a point somewhere?).

ALA policy is that once a book is on the shelf, there is no restricting access via labels ("contains homosexual content" or something) or outright removing the book for any reason other than "it's too damaged to check out anymore." Intellectual freedom is very important to the ALA which leads conservative groups to scream bloody murder about how leftist we are. Parents can, of course, not allow their children to check out the book.

My father is no bigot but bless his Southern-Baptist-raised Baby Boomer heart, he had no idea these books existed. I sent it to him with the subject heading "gay penguin paper," and my mother called and said, "You'd better tell him what that is so that he'll open it."

12. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    ........wow. If you want to protect your kid from thinking differently than you, you might as well prevent them from reading pretty much everything.

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Exactly. And you might be shocked at how many people really do think it's bad to expose children to viewpoints that are different from those of their parents.

14. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
  15. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Season finale of Archer is 10/10. Funniest two episode ever. Awesome Sealab crossover. Would you like the mustache on or off? Captain Murphy! Beat it with the wrench. Is this thing on? The golf cart thing. Murphy killed by off brand soda machine. Pod 6! Sealab explodes.

16. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I love how Ray losing control of his legs is basically a running gag now. [face_laugh] I never saw Sealab so I didn't get those references, just like I don't get any Frisky Dingo references, but whatever, I liked the episode a lot. Actually had some pretty heartwarming parts... before Archer went and blew everything up... again. :p

17. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    Back in Cardiff for summer term. Got a few things to do on dissertation later this evening before going along tomorrow to library to print it off and get it bound.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Looking at starting my PhD sooner rather than later if I can get accepted and get funding. Fall of 2014 would be nice but that might be a stretch. There has been some ugly stuff coming down the pipe with public education in North Carolina and public libraries here got badly defunded a couple of years ago. Even those of us whose jobs are safe for the time being are having our work loads and stress levels increased.

19. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    The Spartacus: War of the Damned series finale has to be the best series finale I've ever seen. The final battle at the end eclipses even the Battle of Blackwater in a Game of Thrones in terms of quality. Liam McIntyre has really grown as an actor and, I know this may sound blasphemous to many fans of the series, but I even like him better than Andy Whitfield. STARZ better make a Caesar spinoff. They've already left a few threads hanging, such as Crassus's budding relationship with Pompey at the end.

Hopefully, as time goes by, more and more people will discover the show and then it will get the recognition it truly deserves. As of now, its underrated, but it shouldn't be. I'd put the show on par with a Game of Thrones.

Sgt Crowfield likes this.
  20. Sgt Crowfield

Sgt Crowfield Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 27, 1999
  21. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Goodbye, Spartacus... We'll miss you and your excessive amount of gore...

[​IMG]

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Holy ****.

EW.

eht13 likes this.
  23. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Well University has been pretty good so far, our first assignment is to create a black and white poster and pamphlet for any event, which can be real or made up, so I was thinking of doing something related to Star Wars. The best one they've ever seen at that Uni was actually a Star Wars one.

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm at Carowinds and my children convinced me to ride the Scrambler. It's been years and I had forgotten how much fun it is, but damn, I think my stomach is in Australia somewhere. :p

25. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.