main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Fisto's Disco: The LACWAC Social Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by G-FETT, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    She doesn't do a whole lot. She just sits in my hands. And if I move my hands and disturb her, she'll slowly try to move away, such that I have to keep her treadmilling in my hands.

I'm not afraid of spiders outside. If I see one, it's no biggie. I am afraid of them in my house, or if one happens to get on me.

She is not an animal that I would have wanted to handle out of my own curiosity. One of the keepers is handling her to get her accustomed to it so that she could be used as an educational animal. So when she asked me if I would like to try holding her, I wasn't going to admit to being afraid and say no, I had to suck it up. But after a minute of holding her and just seeing how mellow she is and how she makes no effort to bite (and she doesn't move fast and doesn't jump or anything surprising like that), the fear passes.

I remember in my previous internship I was pretty much told to assist with moving a hellbender immediately after being shown a scar one of the keepers had from being bitten by it, and that was a similar experience of acting like I was not intimidated and just going for it. And pretty soon I just thought the hellbenders were so cool.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I interviewed for a summer job at a science museum when I was just out of college; one of the jobs would have been handling a snake, a boa or a python IIRC. I'm afraid of snakes too, although not quite as much as spiders, but I agreed to try it. Ended up getting a different job but I don't think the snake had anything to do with it. :p

TaradosGon likes this.
  3. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    I just watched Elysium, pretty good film with great effects. I'd give it a 7/10.

I also watched X-Men: First Class last week for the first time, and wow, it was amazing! It's my favourite X-Men film and I'd give it a 9/10.

And because I'm suddenly a huge X-Men fan, I'm currently watching the animated series X-Men: Evolution, which I'm really liking. I reckon most of the characters match the films so well and some of their voices even sound exactly the same. For an animated series made in 2000, it's actually really good.

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Elysium was great. I wasn't expecting any more than a lot of explosions and some good eye candy in the form of Matt Damon with a shaved head. The latter certainly delivered and I didn't care about the former--even better, the movie had an actual story, and it was a good one. I'd actually give it a 9 or 10/10.

I've never seen an X-Men movie; I've downloaded a couple of the comics to see if I like the franchise.

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I never watched Evolution, but I did watch a good amount of the 90s series. That and Spider-Man were my Marvel fix for the 90s.

6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The summer movies I planned to see but didn't are Oblivion and Pacific Rim. Oblivion is on Blu-Ray now so I'll be renting that one soon.

7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I think I saw all the movies I had wanted to see this summer. I'll probably finish off the season with The World's End sometime this week, after seeing both The Butler and Elysium last week.

I have to say, besides Pacific Rim, the best thing I saw this summer was the live RiffTrax showing of Starship Troopers. Those guys never get old! XD

8. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    I've watched nearly everything I've wanted to so far this year, but I still wanna watch Man of Steel and Jack the Giant Slayer, they both looked good, but I just never got round to watching them.

9. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    So, it looks like Bryan Cranston's gonna be cooking up some... krypto meth [face_laugh]

... you know, because Breaking Bad and... Man of... yeah, that was a bad joke.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  10. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    My group just finished our 6 week Star Wars marathon with ROTJ tonight. Luke unmasking Vader... Easily my favorite Star Wars moment.

In other news, my neighbors had one of their infamous parties. Thankfully nobody set the deck on fire this time.. Nothing to see here, move along, move along.

11. Ani501st

Ani501st Jedi Padawan star 3

Mar 18, 2013
    Yes it's on the DVD and Blu-Ray box set of season 5 and on the complete series too.
    It was a cool epilogue to the show because we know more about this Hurley/Ben team that Hurley talked about at the end of the finale during the flash sideways.
    In my opinion no show can do better than LOST did.

12. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I guess I've seen all of the movies I wanted to see in the theater so far this year (with the exception of Man of Steel, for which I changed my plan after hearing reviews). But the next Hobbit movie is one of the highlights of the year for me and my son, and it of course doesn't start until December.

13. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I've always been more of a DC guy, mostly because I grew up on Batman and Superman cartoons, which I preferred to X-Men and Spider-Man (but I liked them too). I liked the Burton Batman films and the first Christopher Reeve Superman film. And I liked Man of Steel and don't think it warranted a 50% Rotten Tomatoes rating (it was in that ball park when I went to see it). And I liked all of the Nolan Batman films, though Dark Knight Rises was definitely the weakest. Justice League and Justice League Unlimited I just started watching in the past year on Netflix and think that is a great show (I think DC has Marvel beat in the animation department, some of the Marvel shows/animated films are terrible, IMO).

And within the past 6 months or so, I've started reading comics, with a bias towards DC because I have generally liked them better in the past and because their comics are more reasonably priced for their titles in the "New 52" reboot than most titles in Marvel's "Marvel NOW" line, especially when buying digitally.

I didn't know of "Marvel Unlimited" until today, which is an even better deal than DC's. It's essentially Netflix for comics. $9.99/month to have unlimited access to many titles in Marvel's library, though apparently with a 6 month lag in the newer titles. Still an excellent bargain compared to what I could get for $9.99 at a comic book store or even with DC's discounted digital prices.

Conversely though, I'm blindly jumping around and reading random stories and story arcs. Like Amazing Spider-Man #20 (first appearance of Scorpion), reading select issues of Fantastic Four by J. Michael Straczynski (my favorite author at the moment), and arbitrarily jumped into the Nation X arc of the Uncanny X-Men.

I have to say that thus far my preference for DC is cemented... Marvel isn't bad, but I'm just way less interested in its universe so far, and the story arcs of DC - at least in my experience - tend to be written so that as long as you start an arc from the beginning, you can generally jump on in. Whereas even when I started the Nation X arc, there are just so many references to previous events that the story does not bring me - the reader - up to speed on. I feel like I either have to say "I don't care" and push on; wikipedia the hell out of characters and events that are mentioned; or keep reading backwards, rather than forward.

X-Men, Spider-Man and Fantastic Four are generally what I'm most interested in now. Though I figure I'll also look into Daredevil (especially since his comics are currently being received very well).

Is anyone here a comic reader that has suggestions for story arcs that they liked in any of these lines? I'd be open to any of Marvel's other heroes too. I did want to however pass on Days of Futures Past for the time being. I've been looking forward to the film and would be interested in reading it after I've seen the movie, and would rather go into the film knowing nothing about it at this point.

07jonesj and AkashKedavra_93 like this.
  14. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    I tend to read everything but Marvel and DC. Image, Vertigo (though owned by DC, it's pretty damn distinct), Dark Horse, etc., are the way to go.

The only DC stories I've read are classics (relatively speaking) like The Dark Knight Returns, The Killing Joke, Batman: Year One, and Watchmen. More recent ones I've read are Joker and Superman: Red Son.

As for Marvel, the only thing I've read is the collection of the first Spider-Man comics.

So I'm afraid I can't be of much help with the Big Two. Any of those others, however, are easy for me to make recommendations for.

It's funny, too. I'll be the first one to admit that DC falls flat in the movie department, despite my preference for DC over Marvel. Marvel has just had a way better track record. Except for the Donner Superman films, DC hasn't been able to sell anyone besides Batman on the big screen. But going back to TV, I'd say DC has Marvel beat, especially in the golden age of the DCAU. I did like Marvel's shows then too, but they paled in comparison to the awesomeness that was Batman The Animated Series, Justice League, etc. They're about even in terms of video games, though.

EDIT: Oh, and 5000th post! [face_party]

15. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I don't know if it's a matter of DC being unable to sell other heroes on the big screen, or if it's just a lack of trying.

There's no excuse in my mind for why they can't make a Flash, Aquaman or Wonder Woman film. I have never written a script in my life, yet if I were getting paid to sit down and write scripts, I would think that there's definitely enough decades worth of source material that even if I resorted to adapting an existing story line, with very little creative liberties, I could at the very least be able to write something decent. I would more expect this kind of difficulty for films based on characters like Hawkman (or Hawkgirl), Cyborg, or Martian Manhunter, since they tend to be less iconic (or at least charismatic) heroes that might work best in supporting roles like Hawkeye and Black Widow have filled, rather than having their own films.

Ever since the first X-Men film, it just seems like Marvel has had a steady stream of movies, with some duds (IMO) like Hulk, Incredible Hulk, Daredevil, Ghost Rider, Punisher and Fantastic Four, but enough successes with X-Men, X2, Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2, First Class, Iron Man, Captain America, The Amazing Spider-Man, Thor, and The Avengers to keep things rolling.

And now Fox is going to reboot Fantastic Four with a shared universe with X-Men (I don't know how that's going to work), and is looking at more obscure heroes like Guardians of the Galaxy, Black Panther, Doctor Strange, and Ant-Man.

Meanwhile DC is too scared to commit to anything that isn't Batman (and now Superman) to film, but instead keeps looking to television. Green Arrow exists on TV, they are apparently looking to use Arrow as a test bed for The Flash. There was talk of a Booster Gold show that apparently fell through (I haven't heard anything about it in a long time), there was a proposed Aquaman show that never went anywhere, a Wonder Woman show has been in development hell for forever.

Unless DC plans to pull the actors from these TV shows to star along side Cavill and Affleck on the big screen, I don't know how they plan to do their Justice League movie. Wikipedia makes reference to a possible Green Lantern sequel, though I thought Reynolds at one point said he wasn't interested in reprising the role. So they might have to reboot Hal Jordan's story again, unless they continue off the same continuity but go with someone like John Stewart or Guy Gardner instead.

DC's planning has been a mess and I found it odd that they are already planning a Justice League movie, when none of the constituent pieces seem to be in place.

Though I have to say that merely having Batman and Superman on screen together would be enough to make me giddy in a way that putting the likes of Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk, and Thor together failed to do. The only thing that Marvel could do that would come remotely close for me personally, would be to have an X-Men/Avengers crossover, the likelihood of which is pitifully low given that Fox has the rights to X-Men.

07jonesj and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    From the limited number of comics that I've read, I much prefer Marvel to DC and I prefer Dark Horse to either of them. I need to check out that Marvel Unlimited, I think I spend enough to make it worthwhile.

As far as TV, I just saw a preview for Agents of Shield. I'll definitely be setting my DVR.

17. Paparazzo

Paparazzo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Finished moving house after a fortnight of back and forth of between here & Stockholm (where we lived before). We now live in the city that I spent my toddler years in & was born in.

Didn't miss it one bit.

18. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    Had a phone interview today with a zoo back in Michigan. I felt it went well and am hoping for the best. Though I do love it where I am interning and the people I work with and had hoped something would become available. [face_praying]

In other news, that tarantula I posted a picture of and said kind things about turned around and bit a keeper unprovoked today. Does not make me want to handle her again, though I know that I have to suck it up and continue to handle her. We have no idea why she bit and she gave none of the signals that tarantulas apparently give (according to the internet) before biting.

A keeper was holding the tarantula and we were sitting at a table just talking, the spider sitting calmly in her hand for several minutes. I then see the fangs come out and calmly (I got made fun of after the fact for how emotionless my tone was) said something like "I think you're about to get bitten" while the spider simultaneously did just that.

The keeper, who kept pet tarantulas as a kid and had never been bitten by one before, had very unkind, not appropriate to re-state here, things about the tarantula after the fact :p

19. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    TaradosGon : Good luck on that position you interviewed for... and also for something opening up where you are if you prefer that.

So a question on the tarantula bite; are they not venomous? I thought that they were (I guess all spiders technically are, but usually not at levels dangerous to animals and people)... but maybe some species like this one are not dangerous to people? Either way, at that size it must hurt. Yikes.

20. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012

I do not like spiders. At all. There's Black Widows all around my backyard (and occasionally in my house!) I've been bit a few times.. Not fun.

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I had read that tarantula bites hurt like hell but aren't poisonous.

I'm pretty sure I told this story somewhere on the boards before but my oldest, when he was four or five, found a black widow in a gutter at a park. Of course his reaction to the black hourglass across the belly was "Look Mommy! Spider-Man!"

And the next several minutes, I'm sure, involved everyone in a 500-foot radius wondering why Mommy was going completely ape**** over a kid saying something about Spider-Man.

22. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003

They all have venom, but the venom of this particular species is about as potent as a wasp sting. It hurts, but is not fatal unless, like wasps or bees, someone just has an exceptionally bad allergic reaction. The bite did very little damage, the keeper was bit on the finger which swelled up a bit, but there were just two little pink dots where the fangs punctured the skin. I don't know much about tarantulas, but I was always intimidated by the size of their fangs, but apparently they inject only the very tips. I would have expected it to do more damage than it did.

Everything that I've read on them suggests that they pretty much won't bite unless threatened in some way and will give certain signs, like flicking hairs off their abdomen or raising up their front legs and bearing their fangs before biting. This was entirely unprovoked, she didn't give any sign and was not being threatened in any way. We've been working with her for a week (this was day 7) and she's been fine all 6 days. Our only theory was that we had just fed some frozen mice to the birds of prey and that perhaps the scent of mouse was still on her hands, but we have no idea.

The other keeper has been reading about spiders lately and she was rambling off random facts to me. I don't remember the total species of spiders known that she had said, but it was in the tens of thousands, and of those less than 100 are considered dangerous to humans. It was something like 60 out of 50,000. Tarantulas venom is not particularly potent, they are slow moving, and are considered to *usually* be a less aggressive group of spiders that rarely bites.

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    North Carolina has two poisonous spiders: the black widow and brown recluse. I have no idea about other places.

24. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003

Michigan has black widows, though I think they are a smaller and less venomous subspecies than those in the southern states. I think the jury is still out on the brown recluse. The Michigan DNR website shows how they can be identified and I think they are known in Ohio, but last I knew they were not believed to be established in Michigan.

Out here in Idaho there are "hobo spiders" (I can't get over how dumb their name is). I keep hearing about this species specifically, like they are significant in some way. Some sources say that they have a bite that causes necrotic lesions like a brown recluse bite, but I know I found a link to Orkin's website and a couple other sources that say this is misinformation and that necrotic bites attributed to hobo spiders were probably misidentified brown recluse bites.

Hobo spiders... never have known a hard day's work in their lives.

On a tangential note: I get to put on a wet suit and "teach" a baby jackass penguin to swim tomorrow. They instinctively know how to swim, so I think the whole getting in the water with a wet suit is more for the keepers' own enjoyment than anything else.

25. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Will you teach it to dance too?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.