main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Fisto's Disco: The LACWAC Social Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by G-FETT, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Looking forward to Catching Fire movie. Best book.

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  2. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Lol wow, I just watched Die Hard last night.

3. Sgt Crowfield

Sgt Crowfield Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 27, 1999
    Well, if you pissed me off somewhere along the road, I don't remember, so it can't have been too bad ;).
    Last night I dreamt that our company's management had decided to have us (the local administration team at HQ 1) offed instead of laying us off. They gave the mission to HQ 2 - folks from another town who have a knack for always messing up jobs. Naturally, the HQ 2 clowns botched up royally, so in the end it fell to us to organize our own execution.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011

What's interesting is I haven't watched it in a long time.

5. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I'm a fan of the GI Joe movies. They're not AWESOME, but they're good. They're action packed, but the action is lackluster far too often. They haven't really made full use of Ray Park, maybe Snake-Eyes should get a solo movie. I love The Rock so I was glad to see him take over, even though I like Tatum just fine.

Moreover, they have the same spirit as the original cartoon. Anyone who is very familiar with the original cartoon may notice plenty of subtle little nods along with the more overt ones. I love what they're doing with the villains. Like, all of them. They're all suitably cartoonishly villainous. I mean, Zartan is impersonating the President! There's a satellite superweapon! Cobra Commander wore the mask! Storm Shadow is flipping sides! I would have made a few visual tweaks with the Joes (particularly Lady Jaye and Flint, my favorite Joes since I was a kid), but overall I'm satisfied with the franchise. Whoever is making these movies really gets the franchise.

You guys know I hate everything all the time always so this was hard for me to admit.

6. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Well this is awkward. I haven't seen any movies lately. Not seen or read The Hunger Games. Not seen G.I. Joe although I've started watching 'Renegades'. Shouldn't come as a surprise to regulars here, so I'm just going to blab about anime. Been watching two series lately Sword Art Online and Mushishi.

I've made it the the 12th episode of Sword Art Onliine and am not sure if I'll get through the series. Its not a terrible series. It reminds me of TCW vaguely with the anthology/ snap shot style its got going on however its not in the best ways since its like a 26 episode series that needs to get moving, has this propensity for the characters to just stand and talk out the mysteries then explain what old man Creepers was doing after word like Scooby Doo. The actual action is pretty minimal with alot of key plot points within episodes themselves seeming to happen off the screen. Asuna is such an Asuka whanna be. I'm finding its just boring. Even the series opening is boring to watch which probably wasn't a good sign. I was hoping for better since I really like Hack//Sign and I thought since SAO is also about a bunch of kids trapped in a video game I might like it similarly.

Next we got Mushishi which I'm also about half way through. I picked this one for being applauded for the philosophical messages. I was looking for another Casshern Sins, an anime folks either love or hate (you'll remember that's the anime I was using to compare the the D-Squad arc, lol). Mushishi is absolutely beautifully animated and a work of art. Story wise, it doesn't have one. Its about a guy who can see a world of living beings to pure of most humans to see and he goes around dealing with them and its the same thing over each episode.

So that's two I'm not real thrilled with. I'm thinking next I'll start Fairy Tale which I've been putting off because its a long series and I'm afraid it will turn out to be another dud for me next to Tsubasa Chronicle. Oh well, atleast the Sailor Moon reboot should finally come out in Winter and is looking like its gonna be sticking close to the manga which will be awesome. I'm not as much of a manga snob with Sailor Moon as I am with Full Metal Alchemist but it'll be neat to see more of the manga realized on screen. Just please dear God don't let it have CLANNAD style animation.

7. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I've been catching up on Breaking Bad. I've been watching it on Netflix, so I'm not going to get to see the last 8 episodes until long after the fact. I love this show, though I was opposed to the rumors that Cranston was on board to play Luthor in the Superman sequel, though I think those rumors have since been shot down. I like Cranston, but I feel like Luthor needs to be close to Cavill's age.

I also started watching the American adaptation of Wilfred. I think it's hilarious.

Doctor (played by Robin Williams): Hey. It's not your fault. It's not your fault. It's. Not. Your. Fault.
    Ryan (strapped down to a table): Wait a second, that's from Good Will Hunting... Holy ****... You're Rob--
    Doctor: Nurse! Where's that god ****** sedative?!

[face_laugh]

Got to swim with a baby penguin twice, which was not nearly as enjoyable as I had hoped. Mostly because the water was 40 degrees and the wet suit provided was short sleeved, which I think largely defeats the purpose and does not help when the water is THAT cold. So I just felt like I shivered the whole time and counted the minutes til I could get out. We also have a baby guanaco (essentially the wild ancestor of the llama) that is a little over a week old. It is not shy and loves to come up to people and try to chew on their clothes. The parents would just as soon spit in your face if you tried to get close enough to touch them.

[​IMG]

Lastly, I saw a trailer for the film Blackfish which is a documentary about Tillikum, a killer whale that was involved in the deaths of three people (the last of which happened a couple years ago when he grabbed his trainer's hair and drowned her at Sea World). It had a limited theatrical release, but I really want to catch this when it is released on DVD.

Granted I think the trailer music is a bit too epic for a documentary. But the film has been rated very well.

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I've just gotten into Breaking Bad and I love it. Although I have to limit myself to weekend viewings as it's hard to stop after just one episode. The ride is that good.

Swimming with a baby penguin sounds really cool, and cute, but damn that's cold water.

TaradosGon likes this.
  9. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Never seen the Australian version of Wilfred but I love the America version. I loved the first two seasons particularly the ep with Robin Williams. I need to get caught up on season 3.

Are any of the Penguins named Tux?

10. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    I just watched The Losers, I can't believe I've never seen it before. It was a pretty good action film with quite a few funny parts throughout it and Chris Evans played the best role as usual. I'd give it a 7/10.

11. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003

No. Apparently a previous curator was adamant that animals be given names that reflect where they are located geographically. So these penguins are from Africa and are largely given African names, though animals born since that curator left have been given English names or even Japanese names as well. Off the top of my head, their names are:

Yuki
    Midori
    Udo
    Zola
    Tod
    Sandy
    Percy
    Elvis
    Jack
    Lahima
    Makina
    Holla
    Mr. Green (collar of his identification band)
    Mrs. Green
    Mrs. White
    Bahari
    Tanda
    Marge

And the name of the baby is still being finalized, but is usually called Jack Jr.

I think that's all of them.

Seerow likes this.
  12. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Cool.

[​IMG]

TaradosGon and Ani501st like this.
  13. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I didn't really like Wilfred when it was on SBS.
    As for Breaking Bad, after much urging by friends and my brother, I have now started. I am almost through the first season now.

14. Ani501st

Ani501st Jedi Padawan star 3

Mar 18, 2013
    I saw Gone Baby Gone yesterday night. It was better than expected but I would have prefered that Ben Affleck was in the movie instead of his brother Casey who has always the same bizarre face, not a good actor.

15. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
  16. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Regarding Breaking Bad, I've been getting all the requisite* recommendations from friends to watch it too... but I haven't felt like bothering with it yet. (* apparently there's a rule saying that if you watch Breaking Bad, you MUST recommend it to everyone that you know or even just random people that you see. :p )

I have just started watching Sherlock on Netflix, though. This is the BBC one starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman that is set in contemporary London. Really good.

17. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I discovered Sherlock about last year or so. Suffice to say I loved every minute of it and can't wait for series 3.

JackG da **** is a postcard number? I want to sign that petition, but I can't read Australian. Is that my mailing/home address, or something else??? Either way, I'm all for preserving the Great Barrier Reef. A few years ago there was a movement to put up a whole slew of wind turbines in Nantucket Sound, which is no GBR, but it's still a natural wonder and thriving yet fragile ecosystem.

18. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003

I put a zip in -- it seemed to accept it I guess.[face_dunno]

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'll see if I can sign when I get home. I'll try my ZIP and see if it works.

20. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    Why would they ever want to mine in the Great Barrier Reef? That's just stupid, I'll sign the petition.

21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah, zip worked, but that leads me to suspect that any random set of numbers would work as well. [face_dunno]

22. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    Zip = postcode.
    Money, my friend. Money and short-sightedness.

23. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I've never been to Australia or the Great Barrier Reef, but just seeing the diversity of people at Yellowstone here in /the U.S. (it seemed like 50% of the people spoke foreign languages and were likely coming from around the world to see the place), I would have thought that the Great Barrier Reef would be just as lucrative as a tourist destination, if not more so. That is idiotic.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  24. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    I went snorkeling in the reefs in Mexico years ago. Those were great fun to see, along with all the fish around them, so I'd imagine Australia's reefs could also get some great visitation by sightseers.

25. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Zoe Saldana, as Bernie Mac used to say, "Nuff said."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.