main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Fisto's Disco: The LACWAC Social Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by G-FETT, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paparazzo

Paparazzo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2011
    My body has a similar habit of waking up 15-20 minutes before my alarm goes off, but because I've woken up my half-asleep mind says "you're awake, may aswell turn the alarm off". Then I fall asleep and wake up late. Tragedy. :(

TaradosGon likes this.
  2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    This scenario is too frequent for me too. :p

Paparazzo and TaradosGon like this.
  3. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    I tend to be nocturnal. Woke up at 4PM today. Will likely go to sleep around 8-10AM. :p

Does mean I get to catch all you American folks on here, though.

eht13 and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  4. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011

LOL, just might be the coolest Dellienware ever.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  5. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Ah yes, I've noticed that too based on your online presence. Sometimes I see you online and posting even to the late evenings PST here in the U.S.

I guess that makes you a true Nite Owl:
    [​IMG]

Seerow, TaradosGon and 07jonesj like this.
  6. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Ha ha, the day is ours! America! America! God shed his grace on thee!

But don't forget to get some sunlight! No seriously, it can make a big difference. It like, helps you sleep, improves mood, and something about Vitamin D. Oh, and it relieves PMS, if that helps.

Yeah, I lost it at Princess Kenny, big laughs. I've never even seen GoT, but I'm still laughing at some of the references. I've heard enough about it, like in the Lit social thread, that I can follow it well enough.

7. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Well, I'm actually still a little sore that you threw all our tea into the sea. Was a bit rude, in fact.

I suffer from agoraphobia so not much chance of sunshine! That, and this is England, so it's been raining all day. But fortunately these kooks in a lab managed to capture the Sun and put it into a little capsule. So I just swallow the Sun once a day. Burns a little, so drink with milk.

PMS? Perfectly movable sofa? Pretty moody sod? Panicking mouse syndrome? Not quite sure what you're trying to help me with CT...

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Putting up with Men's ****. [face_devil]

Seerow and 07jonesj like this.
  9. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I'm in the same boat, never seen GoT or read the books but I've heard enough from just about everyone I know to be able to follow it. Princess Kenny and the transformation broach was historical. Todd the Jedi I think this has been a decent season of South Park. I've liked 5 out of 8 episodes this season although Taming Strange is the best so far. was practically on the floor every scene that featured Yo Gabba! Gabba!

Amen sister.

10. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    I've never heard that meaning for the acronym before. [face_laugh]

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    "Why is it called PMS?"

"Because Mad Cow Disease was already taken."

12. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire" was a massive improvement over the first installment, which I also enjoyed. The direction, the performances, the storyline, for the most part everything was crisp and refreshing. The ending needed more narrative weight and some sequences before the Games felt imbued with a heavy sense of deja vu, though that is some fault to the source material. Nevertheless, while the sequel doesn't shatter new grounds, it still does a great job at elevating the stakes (the truly terrifying aspects of totalitarian police state are on full display here) and the final shot leaves us breathless for the next installment. May the Odds Be Ever in Your Favor!

8.5/10

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  13. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    One of my cats got outside in my new place and I haven't been able to find him. =(

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Oh girl. I know that feeling. Hopefully he/she comes back quickly. One of my cats disappeared for 10 days and found his way home.

15. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    One of my cats disappeared for over a year and came back. Atleast this one has some big old eagle talons for claws so I pity whatever would try to mess with him.

16. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Seerow : Yikes, hope he's OK. Is the new place close enough to the old place that he's at least familiar with the area? Cats are tough, though, and it sounds like those talons should keep him safe. :D

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I missed the part about "the new place." He may be trying to go back to the old one.

18. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, if it's pretty close I would check over there if he doesn't come back soon.

19. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Its really right across the street so Walmart as he is named could wonder back to the old place. Problem is he has to cross a major road to get there. I went over there and called for him.

20. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Is your cat chipped or collared, Seerow?

I had an outdoor cat, of average size, disappear for over a year before turning up morbidly obese and coming back home to stay. Someone was obviously putting food down for him/took him in.

My cats were neither chipped or had any kind of identification, which was my own fault, but it created the frustrating reality that when it comes to cats, a lot of people would more readily take in a cat they mistake as a stray, vs. something like a dog.

Growing up, any time a dog got out of the yard and ran away, they ALWAYS turned up at animal control (if we couldn't find them ourselves). With cats, they've NEVER turned up at animal control. If I didn't find a body (some got hit by cars), they just disappeared. And it really wasn't until my cat returned to me obese that I considered that maybe people are abducting my cats. A second cat was "semi-abducted" in that the neighbor would put food out and pet them, but they also understood the cat was ours, and so never took it in doors or tried to contain him for themselves.

------

In other news I learned that apparently Star Wars is more Buddhist than I thought. I had a conversation with a self proclaimed hippy co-worker that had invited me and another coworker over for a movie night. It was mentioned that she was Buddhist and she started to explain to me how we must not be possessive and that we need to let go of emotional attachments, etc.

I asked her sarcastically, "are you sure you didn't just watch Star Wars" to which she replied that she had never seen it.

I thought that was kind of humorous. Like being preached to by Yoda.

Jedi Knight Fett, Seerow and EHT like this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    One of my neighbors puts out treats for my oldest cat, who is the one who stays outdoors unless he wants to eat or sleep. He's 13 years old but still likes to pretend that he's A, not a senior citizen cat, and B, not neutered.

As far as Star Wars and Buddhism, Lucas definitely pulled from a lot of Eastern philosophy. My kids do mixed martial arts, and the creed that they have to recite reads a lot like the Jedi Code.

22. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    We had a cat when I was growing up, and she never left home for more than a few hours... she was usually just exploring and hunting in the back yard. The dog we had then had more of a wandering spirit, though. He was gone overnight a couple of times, despite our best attempts to find him. One time, when we lived in England, we got a call from a local boarding school because he was swimming in their pool. [face_laugh]

TaradosGon : So are you going to show her SW? Yeah, I think Buddhist ideas influence quite a bit of SW, especially the things Yoda says.

23. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    07jonesj - what did you think of TDotD? As soon as we saw the junkyard at the beginning I knew it was going to be phenomenal. Wow. Just wow.

07jonesj likes this.
  24. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    And the cat came back the very next day. Thank you for your kind words. We did find him at the old place, he'd gone all the way back there.

25. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Putting my thoughts in spoiler tags in case anyone here hasn't seen it yet.
    Truly this was the Day of the Doctor. Despite marketing focusing on the Daleks, they played a pretty small role. It was basically a 75-minute character study of the Doctor, and the decision that he made on that fateful day. John Hurt was marvelous as the Doctor, joining Tennant who fit straight back into the role and Smith who was surprisingly able to keep up with these two powerhouse actors.

The special had a good pacing (I feared it would be rushed), and managed to examine multiple aspects of the Doctor, from his comical remarks, his forgetful memory and his regrets. I loved that they showed him as a man who wanted to forget, a man who ran, a man who lived in the present because he dare not look back.

It was light-hearted too, in places. The TARDIS being picked up by UNIT with Matt Smith's name appearing was hilarious. Every scene with Tennant and Page (as Queen Elizabeth I) - then Smith and Hurt too - reminded me of how plain fun this show could be.

Loved all the nods to the past. Yes, that opening with the classic 60's theme remade in HD, with Totter's Lane and the policeman. Perfect. References to the Pertwee years and the UNIT dating controversy (70's or 80's indeed!). Tom Baker's scarf. The roundels on the TARDIS walls. Yet it never seemed overdone. It was an homage but it wasn't just 75 minutes of throwing classic props in your face.

Onto that ending - wow. Gallifrey falls no more. This is a pretty massive revelation to a story arc that effectively began in 2005. I'm not quite sure how I feel about it yet. Smith suggests that it was always this way and the other Doctors just didn't remember it, which undermines the past three incarnations' development a little I feel.

It also clashes with The End of Time where Rassilon attempts to drag Gallifrey back out of the Time War. Thus I prefer to believe that Hurt originally did destroy both the Time Lords and the Daleks and the events of this episode effectively rewrote things, meaning that until now the Doctor did actually activate the Moment.

That's a minor gripe when it was executed so well, however. I felt there was a Journey's End reference there too. In that story, the Daleks hid the Medusa Cascade in a second of time just as the Doctor does with Gallifrey. In that story, the TARDIS pulls the Earth back to it's orbit with a similar shot to the one here.

Having all thirteen Doctors there was a big fanboy moment, but it was just so awesome to know that all thirteen Doctors were working together to save their home. And yes, Capaldi appeared! Though, maybe there were fourteen Doctors in this special if the Curator is indeed a future incarnation. It was great to see Tom Baker, regardless.

I'm glad they had Billie Piper play The Moment rather than Rose Tyler. It was a little more creative than her just being the direct manifestation of the Bad Wolf too.

Lastly, I hope that finding Gallifrey is Capaldi's first series' story arc, and isn't resolved quickly in the Christmas episode. Great potential there.

Overall, this feels like a conclusion to the 8-year story arc that began with the show's revival, and is a worthy 50th anniversary to the entire history of the show. Not many shows can maintain momentum like Doctor Who can. I look forward to rewatching this over and over, and then to Matt Smith's finale.

How did you feel?

JackG likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.