Fisto's Disco: The LACWAC Social Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by G-FETT, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Dathomir-Witch Jedi Master

star 2
  2. 07jonesj Force Ghost

star 4
    Only thing is you can never find "the guts of your enemies" in the local supermarket. :p

I don't recall ASOIAF having exquisite food. What sort of recipes are in it?
  3. TaradosGon SWTV Mod - Like Palpatine with animals

Manager
    star 4
    I don't drink a whole lot of "soda" (I am from Michigan, and it will always be "pop" to me).

Though there are certain times when I feel like it's mandatory. Like having pop and popcorn, or with certain things like pizza or a burger.

My drink of choice is usually tea, whether it be the common orange pekoe black tea or earl grey (those are the most common). I drink tea with nearly every meal. Plain water is rare, for when I'm feeling too lazy to heat up more water, or in the Summer when it's incredibly hot, I may start to crave water.

Never been big on coffee.

And when it comes to wine, which I mentioned in my alcoholic beverage of choice for just sitting at home and relaxing, I by no means am a wine snob. My best friend's brother is starting to become one. He threw money down on a 200 dollar bottle of wine in Vegas for my friend's bachelor party, and truthfully, the $8 bottle of Barefoot brand wine I got last weekend was better. I must not have a refined palette at all.
  4. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    I like the Barefoot and Cupcake brands, and the under-$10 stuff from Trader Joe's. I just had a glass of Rex and Goliath Pinot Noir. It was delicious and five dollars a bottle.

I can't wrap my brain around spending more on a bottle of wine than I spend on new running shoes. I can be a food and drink snob but nothing tastes that good.

As far as "soda," I don't think that's a Southern word, my Mom has always used the word "drinks." But "pop" has to be from you people on the Canadian border. :p
    Last edited by anakinfansince1983, Apr 7, 2014
    TaradosGon likes this.
  5. CT-867-5309 Force Ghost

star 5

*nods head*
  6. QuangoFett Force Ghost

star 4
    [IMG]

Coke is apparently the genericised term in most of the Southern USA.

This actually very vaguely resembles a map of political tendencies...

I never paid much attention to the food, but the first thing I thought of when I heard there was a Game of Thrones cookbook was Eddard Stark's head. Strange, I admit.
  7. TaradosGon SWTV Mod - Like Palpatine with animals

Manager
    star 4
    According to that map, "pop" is the more common term here in Idaho as well. Though I've yet to hear someone refrain from chuckling when I mention "pop."
  8. Seerow SWTV★Mod

Manager
    star 6
    I like sprite coke, the official name for all soft drinks for my niece. And that's funny. I don't remember any of my relatives in the backwoods of Appalachian North Carolina generalizing all soft drinks as 'coke'. They may say things like, "Ya'll whanna go down yonder to the basement and was some Tay-Vee?" but they'll call it by brandname of choice.
    Last edited by Seerow, Apr 7, 2014
  9. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    According to that map, in the county where I spent a good portion of my childhood, people use the word "soda." I've actually never heard anyone use "Coke" to refer to all soft drinks either, although again according to that map, people in Charlotte do.

Several of my co-workers use "pop."
  10. Seerow SWTV★Mod

Manager
    star 6
    Same from Florida. Hey listen. I know people from Florida may screw up elections, may randomly crash their cars into Amscots, and then there are the Appliance Direct commercials but they know how to order sodas dammit.
    Last edited by Seerow, Apr 7, 2014
  11. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    In North Carolina our mayors take bribes from undercover FBI agents and get busted.

Get your Cannon sandwich at Sub Station, pay for it under the table.

And we made randomly crashing cars into a science. Hellooo, NASCAR. Everyone watch Dale Earnhardt Jr. go up against Jeff Gordon in skill at handling their stick shifts.

Oh, wait...

(Note to self: Speed Street is in seven weeks, commence making plans to get the hell out of here.)

But order a Coke here and no one will ask you "What kind?"
  12. Seerow SWTV★Mod

Manager
    star 6
    Hah, I would advise against getting into a which state has the most messed up news fight with the Floridian. They say Casey Anthony is hiding in Brasil. And I am glad Bikeweek is over.
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  13. 07jonesj Force Ghost

star 4
    So did I. What does this series do to you?

[face_hypnotized]
    QuangoFett likes this.
  14. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    I only saw three episodes or so. Wasn't feeling the love. And the first thing that came to mind for a recipe was "smoked dire wolf."
  15. Dathomir-Witch Jedi Master

star 2
    Sorry to disappoint you all but those things are not included.

@07jonesj There are recipes for bread, soups, salads, desserts, drinks, ehm... God, school really doesn't prepare you for talking about food.in a different language. However, they're based on what Martin mentions in his books and medieval recipes and go from 'usual' (like baked apples) to 'unusual' (like snake or honey-spiced locusts).

Here is the link for the English version:

http://www.amazon.com/Feast-Ice-Fire-Official-Companion/dp/0345534492?tag=ecosia-20
    07jonesj likes this.
  16. Seerow SWTV★Mod

Manager
    star 6
    Interesting... I guess its kinda like Halloween jelly bellies...

It rained here all day and my damn shoes are soaked.
  17. Darth Valkyrus Force Ghost

star 4
    The Ultimate Warrior has dropped dead at 54 apparently. Sad. He was a kid hero of mine.
  18. Todd the Jedi Mod and Sitcom Dad of SWTV

Manager
    star 5
    My brother was huge into WWF, but he was more into The Rock than anyone else. But I do remember watching with him, and I remember liking Ultimate Warrior a bunch. Crazy how soon it was after his Hall of Fame induction.

And FYI Macho Man was my hero among those classic WWF wrestlers.
    Darth Valkyrus likes this.
  19. TaradosGon SWTV Mod - Like Palpatine with animals

Manager
    star 4
    Haven't watched wrestling since about the time that the WWE absorbed WCW (I think I was in middle school at the time). But pretty much up until then I was a fairly big fan of it. I still catch it in the news when a familiar name dies. It seems like the life expectancy of a wrestler seems to be 50s-60s. I don't know if it's from performance drugs or just the toll of being slammed again and again. For instance, Chris Benoit murdered his family and committed suicide, and I thought that at the time (I don't know if it was confirmed or denied) that he had pretty much suffered an obscene amount of brain damage from repeated concussions, etc.
  20. Seerow SWTV★Mod

Manager
    star 6
    That sucks, RIP Ultimate Warrior.

I bought the new SimCity, been waiting for it to work in offline mode. **** EA and their DRM crap. Man the map sizes are so small. I max out the map pretty quick and battle never ending worker shortages. I've come to the conclusion the region I'm playing in must be located in my state of residence FL. That's the best way to explain the low number of jobs/workers. My city must be full of students and retirees living in those fancy trailer parks they call "over 50" communities down here. In my 129K population city only about 14k are working.
    Last edited by Seerow, Apr 10, 2014
  21. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    The ice cream truck is driving through my neighborhood and it's playing Christmas songs. I've heard Jingle Bells and Silent Night so far.

Weird.
  22. Seerow SWTV★Mod

Manager
    star 6
    I love how people always blame the cellphone company when they are getting telemarketing calls or spam calls, sometimes from companies posing as said cellphone company. I'd bet anything that if I went through these peoples social media sites I can find where they put the cell number somewhere on the internet and thus this happens. I shake my head everytime someone just throws out their mobile number, name and last four in the open on Twitter.
  23. EHT Manager: New Films

Manager
    star 5
    I'm late to this discussion, but same for me. I know nobody here in Atlanta (the home of Coca-Cola, mind you) who actually says "Coke" to refer to any carbonated soft drink. Everyone says "soda". So the map seems off to me too. The only people I've ever known who said "pop" were from Minnesota.
  24. TaradosGon SWTV Mod - Like Palpatine with animals

Manager
    star 4
    I mentioned having seen this map to some of my coworkers, and when I chuckled at the idea of a conversation going something like:

"Would you like a coke?"
    "Yes, please."
    "What kind?"
    "Pepsi"

One of the interns mentioned having a room mate from Texas that does say things like that, and uses "coke" generically to refer to any kind of soda/pop.
    Last edited by TaradosGon, Apr 12, 2014
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  25. JackG Force Ghost

star 4
    'Soft drink' it is for me.
    Last edited by JackG, Apr 12, 2014