Fisto's Disco: The LACWAC Social Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by G-FETT, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Seerow SWTV★Mod

Manager
    star 6
    I hang out on a few other forums. I feel little need to be modest about most things I like. I am not surprised I'm being flamed by a bunch of bronies though. These kids probably desperately need someone to beat up on, on the interwebz to feel better about their lives. I should invite them here.
    Last edited by Seerow, May 4, 2014
  2. TaradosGon SWTV Mod - Like Palpatine with animals

Manager
    star 4
    So, I've been trying to watch my health more recently. Back in April, 2011 I weighed 267 lbs, and reluctantly joined weight watchers when my sister-in-law recommended it (she had lived in India for 10 months, lost a lot of weight, came back to the US, ballooned up, and then successfully lost it on WW). As of June, 2013 I had lost 100 lbs, and between then and now I've lowered my weight further to 150 lbs (I thought I was 160 for the longest time, but my scale needed to be recalibrated), so at 150 I've gone from about 80 lbs overweight to 2 lbs underweight over the course of about two years.

Now, WW is basically just a simplified and convenient way of counting calories, so within that time I had lost a bunch of weight, eating whatever I wanted (so long as I didn't exceed my calories/"points"). About two months ago I all of a sudden had a strong urge to drink dairy and pretty much went through a gallon of milk within a few days. I didn't know why, since while I do not dislike dairy products, I don't consume a large amount of it like that. I went back and started keeping track of what my calcium intake was like as well as my protein (unrelated curiosity) and found that they had consistently been low (not even close to the daily recommended value in the case of calcium) for months.

This then extended to things like vitamin B12, zinc, iron, etc. and I found that I wasn't hitting the marks on a lot of them. So I've temporary (maybe permanently) abandoned what for a year now had been a primarily vegetarian diet, since while possible to get all the necessary nutrition on a vegetarian diet, I was not interested in taking vitamin B12 supplements or eating 5 eggs and 3 glasses a milk a day, etc.

Out of the blue I decided today to make liver (chicken) and onions, something I've probably had once before - and I think that was beef liver - years ago, and have never made, because liver is a very nutritious meat. This has been the most bizarre thing I think I've ever eaten. I took my first bite and thought it was overwhelmingly bad with a really strong iron flavor. But forced myself to eat it and pretty much by the end of finishing a serving (about 3 pieces of liver) the flavor went from overwhelmingly bad to actually pretty good with each subsequent bite, and I could see myself making this again.
  3. Todd the Jedi Mod and Sitcom Dad of SWTV

Manager
    star 5
    Most bizarre thing I've ever eaten was 1000-year-old egg at a Chinese restaurant. It tasted vaguely like a deviled egg, but with a texture more like sushi. And I've eaten escargot, eel, squid, and a bunch of other weird foods, so I can say with authority that this type of egg is really out there.

That's great though, TG. Way better than I, since I eat so much junk food, though I do balance it out by always eating some fruit and veggies each day, as well as healthy dinner meals like fish, chicken, steak, pasta, etc.
  4. Seerow SWTV★Mod

Manager
    star 6
    I do a combination of weight watchers and low carb.
  5. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    That's awesome @TaradosGon . :)

I went to low carb about three years ago and I'm to the point where I don't need to think about it anymore.

As far as exotic food, I ate rabbit when I was in France. The "tastes like chicken" jokes were really popular at the time (cue Timon and the insects from The Lion King) but I can say it really did taste like chicken.

I've also eaten escargot. In the United States, never saw any in France.
    Revanfan1 and Sgt Crowfield like this.
  6. Sgt Crowfield Chosen One

star 4
    Rabbits do taste a bit like chicken, wild rabbits not so much. While I like rabbit, I really, really love hare. Hare is probably my favorite meaty food ^^. But I also love ostrich and kangaroo. And guinea fowl. And quail. And duck. And prawns. And ...
    Last edited by Sgt Crowfield, May 8, 2014
  7. Todd the Jedi Mod and Sitcom Dad of SWTV

Manager
    star 5
    I had reindeer in Alaska. That was pretty damn good, and different enough from other meats to stand on its own.
  8. AkashKedavra_93 Emperor of the Seven Realms and the First Dragons

Manager
    star 4
    Lamb curry with basmati rice. :)
  9. Doop Jedi Master

star 2
  10. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    Ewwww.

At the risk of sounding like a horrible food snob...I can't tolerate heavily processed food anymore.
    AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  11. Darth Valkyrus Force Ghost

star 4
    Apparently a sister star to Sol has been discovered 110 LY away. I don't know why but this seems really awesome to me.

Stars form in bunches from a star-forming nebula, and then slowly move apart. The Pleiades (the 7 Sisters) are a well known constellation that is actually one of these - a group of young stars, only about 100 million years old or so, that are moving out of the region of the gas cloud that birthed them.

This week astronomers discovered a star, HD 162826, 110 light years from earth in the constellation Hercules. Gas analysis has revealed that it almost certainly originates from the same stellar nursery as our own sun.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/6777/20140510/meet-hd-162826-the-sister-star-of-our-sun.htm

http://www.geekosystem.com/science-finds-suns-family/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_162826
    Last edited by Darth Valkyrus, May 10, 2014
  12. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    That is wicked cool and I hope there are more discoveries that lead to more information about our solar system.
    AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  13. Seerow SWTV★Mod

Manager
    star 6
    That's awesome! It to bad Pleiades is out of season to view in the telescope tonight.

So ya'll know by now I'm a Power Rangers fan. They are making a Power Ranger reboot movie, 90s nostalgia is on and this is going to be a 'reimaging' Lionsgate is looking to make their own so it sounds AU and like a different take on the first 3-6 seasons (The Zordon Era). Already saying it'll be more drastically different than the old Power Rangers the Movie which is AU. Sounds cool. I'd like to see Power Rangers geared older but I hope it doesn't get grimdarked up, its supposed to be 'fun'. I'm not liking all these articles talking about how the studio that made Twilight is perfect to reimage Power Rangers. I wish they would collaborate with the Zordon of Eltar fanfilm project. What happened before Angel Grove is one of the most appealing parts of the mythology.

Last edited by Seerow, May 10, 2014
  14. JackG Force Ghost

star 4
    I'll be using the term 'douchechills' in the future, thank you.
  15. Heero_Yuy Chosen One

star 4
    ^ You're welcome. The term is most appropriate while watching moments like this.

JackG likes this.
  16. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    So, filed under Things that Happen on My Run:

I'm at mile 1.5 on the greenway and just happy that it's shaded because North Carolina does not seem to remember that the summer solstice isn't until June 21. But there's a breeze, it's all good. Two women pass me in the other direction; one of them said, "There's a snake up ahead. He's going back into the woods. Run on that side and you should be fine."

Oh hell.

I kept running, staying on that same side, and thankfully Nagini did apparently go back into the woods because I never saw him.
    Revanfan1 likes this.
  17. Todd the Jedi Mod and Sitcom Dad of SWTV

Manager
    star 5
    Women, amirite? :p

We don't get many snakes 'round here. Some garter snakes, but that's about it.
    Revanfan1 and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  18. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    Cold-blooded animals freeze their asses off where you live.

But they love it here. We have copperheads.
  19. Seerow SWTV★Mod

Manager
    star 6
    Copperheads, coral snakes, and southern diamondbacks. Oh my!
    KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  20. KenobiSkywalker Force Ghost

star 4
    I've got a family of Eastern Diamondback snakes living under my house. Can't get rid of the damn things...
  21. TaradosGon SWTV Mod - Like Palpatine with animals

Manager
    star 4
    Too high in altitude here for many reptiles. I think the prairie rattlesnake is the only venomous species. I would be more worried about bears, wolves or mountain lions here (Idaho). And I just learned yesterday of a park close by called "Beaver **** (rhymes with 'stick') Park." mentioned in the newspaper. I'm not even sure if I need to star the word out or not, since that is the real name of the park, and it's perfectly acceptable to print it in the local newspaper :p

A coworker told me that the first time she became aware of the park's name, she immediately traveled out to see it and was disappointed. I don't know if that means that there are too many or too few beaver *****.
    Last edited by TaradosGon, May 15, 2014
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  22. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    Nothing says "Good morning sunshine" like a tornado two blocks from your house at 7 a.m.

Thankfully it passed quickly and the worst casualty was my being 15 minutes late for work.
    Dark Lord Tarkas and Revanfan1 like this.
  23. Circular Logic SWTV Interview Host

Game Host
    star 4
    So I purchased Knights of the Old Republic I and II on Steam during the May 4 weekend sale, for nostalgia's sake. Plus, 75% off two games that are already quite cheap is a damn good sale. Although I've played the games a little in a friend's home years ago, I never actually owned the games. It felt good to play through the two games on my own from start to finish (well, at least the first one). Both KOTOR games are two of the most definitive RPGs from the Star Wars universe. It's too bad they are considered Legends now. I don't know whether Disney will go out of their way to contradict this era, especially in the near future, given how far back in history the Old Republic is. I hope not. These two games are very unique and don't hesitate to really expand upon the universe while still giving that familiar Star Wars 'feel'. Hopefully future Star Wars RPGs take this to heart.

On a different note, does anyone who hasn't done a LACWAC Member Interview want to sign up for one? If so, please PM me expressing your interest or post in the stickied Interview thread on the front page of this forum. We haven't had any activity in nearly two months, and we welcome more members signing up so that we can get to know you, putting faces behind the anonymous Internet avatars, so to speak.

Also, I haven't posted in more than a week, again. I promise I won't go on too many long hiatuses now!
    KenobiSkywalker and Revanfan1 like this.
  24. Todd the Jedi Mod and Sitcom Dad of SWTV

Manager
    star 5
    I actually just started KOTOR 1 after some prodding in the Games forum here. It's pretty much Mass Effect before there was Mass Effect, lol.
    Revanfan1 likes this.
  25. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7