main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Fisto's Disco: The LACWAC Social Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by G-FETT, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I should get off the boards and go build my Big Ben. Adding to my architectural collection; I've built the Space Needle, definitely going to build the Eiffel Tower and thinking about building the White House and the Sydney Opera House too.

I build these by myself; my son and I build Star Wars Lego together.

2. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm more surprised by a girlcave being a thing. Does that make me sexist?

Granted, I get major douchechills when I hear guys talking about the "man cave." Ugh.

3. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Girl caves are evolutionary vengeance for man caves.

And we pick up our own beer bottles.

4. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    LOL. I'm getting flamed on another forum for saying "May the 4th be with you." xD

Revanfan1 likes this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    This place and Facebook are pretty much the sum total of my not-work-related Internet life.

My Facebook feed is full of Star Wars pictures and "May the Fourth Be With You," plus one person complaining about the Star Wars pictures and "May the Fourth Be With You."

I was planning to take my kids to the local science museum for their May the Fourth Be With You celebrations but my oldest has had a nasty cold for a week and actually got back in bed about an hour ago, something he never does in the afternoon. Somehow going to a crowded museum and making lightsabers doesn't seem like such a great idea anymore.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  6. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I hang out on a few other forums. I feel little need to be modest about most things I like. I am not surprised I'm being flamed by a bunch of bronies though. These kids probably desperately need someone to beat up on, on the interwebz to feel better about their lives. I should invite them here.

7. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    So, I've been trying to watch my health more recently. Back in April, 2011 I weighed 267 lbs, and reluctantly joined weight watchers when my sister-in-law recommended it (she had lived in India for 10 months, lost a lot of weight, came back to the US, ballooned up, and then successfully lost it on WW). As of June, 2013 I had lost 100 lbs, and between then and now I've lowered my weight further to 150 lbs (I thought I was 160 for the longest time, but my scale needed to be recalibrated), so at 150 I've gone from about 80 lbs overweight to 2 lbs underweight over the course of about two years.

Now, WW is basically just a simplified and convenient way of counting calories, so within that time I had lost a bunch of weight, eating whatever I wanted (so long as I didn't exceed my calories/"points"). About two months ago I all of a sudden had a strong urge to drink dairy and pretty much went through a gallon of milk within a few days. I didn't know why, since while I do not dislike dairy products, I don't consume a large amount of it like that. I went back and started keeping track of what my calcium intake was like as well as my protein (unrelated curiosity) and found that they had consistently been low (not even close to the daily recommended value in the case of calcium) for months.

This then extended to things like vitamin B12, zinc, iron, etc. and I found that I wasn't hitting the marks on a lot of them. So I've temporary (maybe permanently) abandoned what for a year now had been a primarily vegetarian diet, since while possible to get all the necessary nutrition on a vegetarian diet, I was not interested in taking vitamin B12 supplements or eating 5 eggs and 3 glasses a milk a day, etc.

Out of the blue I decided today to make liver (chicken) and onions, something I've probably had once before - and I think that was beef liver - years ago, and have never made, because liver is a very nutritious meat. This has been the most bizarre thing I think I've ever eaten. I took my first bite and thought it was overwhelmingly bad with a really strong iron flavor. But forced myself to eat it and pretty much by the end of finishing a serving (about 3 pieces of liver) the flavor went from overwhelmingly bad to actually pretty good with each subsequent bite, and I could see myself making this again.

8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Most bizarre thing I've ever eaten was 1000-year-old egg at a Chinese restaurant. It tasted vaguely like a deviled egg, but with a texture more like sushi. And I've eaten escargot, eel, squid, and a bunch of other weird foods, so I can say with authority that this type of egg is really out there.

That's great though, TG. Way better than I, since I eat so much junk food, though I do balance it out by always eating some fruit and veggies each day, as well as healthy dinner meals like fish, chicken, steak, pasta, etc.

9. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I do a combination of weight watchers and low carb.

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That's awesome TaradosGon . :)

I went to low carb about three years ago and I'm to the point where I don't need to think about it anymore.

As far as exotic food, I ate rabbit when I was in France. The "tastes like chicken" jokes were really popular at the time (cue Timon and the insects from The Lion King) but I can say it really did taste like chicken.

I've also eaten escargot. In the United States, never saw any in France.

Revanfan1 and Sgt Crowfield like this.
  11. Sgt Crowfield

Sgt Crowfield Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 27, 1999
    Rabbits do taste a bit like chicken, wild rabbits not so much. While I like rabbit, I really, really love hare. Hare is probably my favorite meaty food ^^. But I also love ostrich and kangaroo. And guinea fowl. And quail. And duck. And prawns. And ...

12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I had reindeer in Alaska. That was pretty damn good, and different enough from other meats to stand on its own.

13. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    Lamb curry with basmati rice. :)

14. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
  15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Ewwww.

At the risk of sounding like a horrible food snob...I can't tolerate heavily processed food anymore.

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  16. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Apparently a sister star to Sol has been discovered 110 LY away. I don't know why but this seems really awesome to me.

Stars form in bunches from a star-forming nebula, and then slowly move apart. The Pleiades (the 7 Sisters) are a well known constellation that is actually one of these - a group of young stars, only about 100 million years old or so, that are moving out of the region of the gas cloud that birthed them.

This week astronomers discovered a star, HD 162826, 110 light years from earth in the constellation Hercules. Gas analysis has revealed that it almost certainly originates from the same stellar nursery as our own sun.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/6777/20140510/meet-hd-162826-the-sister-star-of-our-sun.htm

http://www.geekosystem.com/science-finds-suns-family/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_162826

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That is wicked cool and I hope there are more discoveries that lead to more information about our solar system.

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  18. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    That's awesome! It to bad Pleiades is out of season to view in the telescope tonight.

So ya'll know by now I'm a Power Rangers fan. They are making a Power Ranger reboot movie, 90s nostalgia is on and this is going to be a 'reimaging' Lionsgate is looking to make their own so it sounds AU and like a different take on the first 3-6 seasons (The Zordon Era). Already saying it'll be more drastically different than the old Power Rangers the Movie which is AU. Sounds cool. I'd like to see Power Rangers geared older but I hope it doesn't get grimdarked up, its supposed to be 'fun'. I'm not liking all these articles talking about how the studio that made Twilight is perfect to reimage Power Rangers. I wish they would collaborate with the Zordon of Eltar fanfilm project. What happened before Angel Grove is one of the most appealing parts of the mythology.

19. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I'll be using the term 'douchechills' in the future, thank you.

20. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    ^ You're welcome. The term is most appropriate while watching moments like this.

JackG likes this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    So, filed under Things that Happen on My Run:

I'm at mile 1.5 on the greenway and just happy that it's shaded because North Carolina does not seem to remember that the summer solstice isn't until June 21. But there's a breeze, it's all good. Two women pass me in the other direction; one of them said, "There's a snake up ahead. He's going back into the woods. Run on that side and you should be fine."

Oh hell.

I kept running, staying on that same side, and thankfully Nagini did apparently go back into the woods because I never saw him.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  22. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Women, amirite? :p

We don't get many snakes 'round here. Some garter snakes, but that's about it.

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Cold-blooded animals freeze their asses off where you live.

But they love it here. We have copperheads.

24. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Copperheads, coral snakes, and southern diamondbacks. Oh my!

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  25. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I've got a family of Eastern Diamondback snakes living under my house. Can't get rid of the damn things...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.