main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Fisto's Disco: The LACWAC Social Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by G-FETT, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sgt Crowfield

Sgt Crowfield Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 27, 1999
    Not sure if it's the case with every edition of Ship of Strangers, but better be careful :).

Oh, Starship Troopers is a fun read. It comes across as satirical in parts, I'm just not sure how much of that was Heinlein's intention. His disappointment in men (himself?) and his idolization of women is not that noticeable in ST (hardly any women in the book), though, but if you read some of his later novels like 'Friday' or 'The Number of the Beast' and then re-read Starship Troopers ... well.
    They actually did a good job with the (first) movie. Trashy and satirical. While I'm indifferent to the gender swap of one of the characters, I'm not sure I like how they elevated some very minor roles to protagonists. Then again, not sure how enjoyable a Johnny-Rico-One-Man-Show would have been as a movie.

Dang, I did read a lot before the Internets came along (and made it easier to satisfy my curiosity).

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  2. Sgt Crowfield

Jul 27, 1999
    In other news, I was forced to learn the rules of the Pokémon trading card game today ... [face_alien]

... the son hasn't talked about anything else but Pokémon lately (beside Star Wars, I mean). Only recently I had promised to give him a little surprise present if he managed to do his homework in under an hour. Well, I went and bought a starter pack, opened it and split it in handy packs of three cards, and after sonny successfully made the one-hour-run today, he received his first batch of cards. And to be able to answer his questions, I had to read the rules.

Unfortunately I managed to get a Fairy-themed starter pack.
    Fortunately, my son is quite tolerant of Fairies.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL, my 9-year-old is really into Pokemon and spends his allowance on those cards.

I have no idea how to play, but he told me how educational it is because it uses math. :p

Sgt Crowfield likes this.
  4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Haven't collected the cards in years. Not since they revamped things for Ruby/Sapphire. Wasn't hard to learn at all.

Sgt Crowfield likes this.
  5. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    It's been like at least a decade since I last put my hands on any Pokémon trading cards. BTW, nice avatar, Force Smuggler!

[​IMG]
    Pikachu (translated): "You will pay the price for your lack of vision Pokéballs!"

Force Smuggler likes this.
  6. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Thanks Circular Logic. Found it in a thread on here and had to use it.
    Also game-wise I haven't gotten a game since Emerald. Sigh. Really do need to get a newer game but I'd have to get a Nintendo DS as well.

7. Sgt Crowfield

Jul 27, 1999
    Well, I have no patience for learning game rules, which is why I don't like to play card or board games other than those I already know ^^. But I agree, this wasn't too hard. Not that much different from Magic or Doomtrooper.

8. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Hah. I have considered this as an avatar before.

[​IMG]

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I just bought an Xbox. I'll see what kind of gaming trouble I can get into.

10. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Nice. Need to get one myself to get KOTOR 1 and 2. Need to play some SW Rebels game I bought a couple months ago. Need to play Battlefront 1 and 2 again as well. Lego Harry Potter 2 as well.

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Lego Harry Potter 1 and 2 are under $20 right now so I'll definitely pick those up.

I also want to get the Lego Star Wars games (I have III for the desktop) and Lego Marvel and Lego Hobbit, but those last two are more expensive right now.

12. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I have the first two Star Wars Lego games and the 1st Harry Potter one. I want to get LOTR and the Hobbit as well. Might look into the Batman/DC ones too.

13. Sgt Crowfield

Jul 27, 1999
    Of those mentioned, sonny has all Lego SW and Harry Potter games so far. Not all old XBox games are compatible with our 360, but at least my KoToR 2 and Republic Commando games still work :D. Other than those two, I have a shock of Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Tekken, Mortal Kombat and Soul Series games for the XBox as well as Jade Empire and some other RPGs. Hubby owns several GTAs, FIFAs, a few racers and Dead or Alive games.
    I mean, I love DoA too, but we somehow decided on him buying DoA and Crow buying SoulCalibur. For the cheesecake and beefcake, respectively ^^.

EDIT
    Oh, and I bought a couple of games I never unpacked (so far) ... like DN4, FO3 and ME3. Just never found the time to unpack them.
    Hubby also bought me TFU and I started to play, but it just didn't keep my interest for long.
    Sonny owns that SW Kinect game. I mean, I got I for my last birthday, but THAT game definitely wasn't my cup of tea (and sonny is into Jedi padawans), so I passed it on to a more grateful recipient :).

14. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    I have Lego Harry Potter 1 & 2, LOTR, Star Wars, Batman, and DC Superheroes. Marvel Superheroes and The Hobbit can wait a little bit. They're a blast to play, I was pleasantly surprised my first time around.

15. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    There are a lot of old warbirds flying around at airshows and such like, but have you ever seen one that still has her fangs?

I'd wager most likely you haven't.

Neither had I. Well, bearing that in mind, this is a pretty cool video I came across today:

It all seems to be ground testing though, makes me wonder if there's some reg prohibiting them from firing in flight. Probably.

Circular Logic and Seerow like this.
  16. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    Game of Thrones: Season 4 will be over Sunday night. Too soon...

17. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    So there's a lot of buzz about Asajj Ventress being in Star Wars VII (and now I even came across this):

http://www.hitfix.com/comedy/5-reas...ly-the-best-villain-for-star-wars-episode-vii

Is it just me who doesn't like the idea of Ventress in the Sequel Trilogy?; Don't get me wrong, she's a really good character who got a lot of character development in TCW, but including her in the upcoming saga movies, villain or not, feels like shoehorning to cater the TCW (and EU) fans that like/love the character (and as far as I can see, there is not even a good reason for her to be in the ST; they should just have her in a spin-off instead).

Revanfan1, Rogue Five, Seerow and 2 others like this.
  18. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    My heart will break trying to wait for the next season. That, or turn to stone.

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    About time a character got shoehorned for my benefit. :p

j/k .

I'd say no Ventress in the ST. Star Wars is about happy endings and I don't want her to show up as the villain in the ST and then go down like a punk so the heroes can have their happy ending.

I wouldn't object to a spin-off if she is portrayed well, in fact I'd watch the hell out of it. But that's an "if".

Otherwise I'm fine just watching Bounty over and over again to get my Ventress fix.

20. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
  21. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I hope not. Keep her in the Clone War era!

22. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    It's fine with me if they want to bring Ventress into the post-Clone Wars era (and the actress everybody wants in the role would probably do a fine job), but just not in VII or the rest of the ST.

23. Paparazzo

Paparazzo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Not how I picture her face at all (bearing TCW in mind).

24. Paparazzo

Paparazzo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2011
    oo what did you think?!

25. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I thoroughly enjoyed it, even if it was different to what I expected. I definitely over-hyped myself; I have know learnt to not expect that something will appear, even if the timing is right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.