main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Fisto's Disco: The LACWAC Social Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by G-FETT, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Here's an awesome video of some of the Animal Kingdom's most fascinating creatures in action, from Nat Geo:

Sgt Crowfield and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  2. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Welp, as I write this Brazil are receiving an unprecedented thrashing on home turf in the World Cup, 4 - 0 down to Germany with 25 minutes played. This just doesn't happen.

Edit: 5 - 0 at halftime.

Whoooo.

That was... unexpected.

3. Sgt Crowfield

Sgt Crowfield Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 27, 1999
    Unexpected indeed :). I was just as shocked as the Brazilian players ...

In other news, I just signed a new work contract today (the old company filed for bankruptcy last year and the majority of us were laid off only recently). Best thing about it (apart from that it means food and shelter for the family): I'll be tech-supporting the remaining parts of the very company that fired me :p .

Oh yes, and I finally got my Captain Rex fleece blanket. Teehee, off to cuddling with Rexy ...

4. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    ^Wow...LOL. And congrats on the new work contract.

Ah... its great to come back to this after a couple weeks of insanity.

Sgt Crowfield likes this.
  5. Circular Logic

Mar 3, 2013
    Yay, just got the 5000 Days of Summer trophy (5,000 'likes') for my first 50-pt trophy! :cool: And it was timed well, since it's only been a little more than two weeks since summer began, heh.

And also, nice to see you posting again, Seerow. Congrats on the new job as well to Sgt Crowfield.

Force Smuggler and Sgt Crowfield like this.
  6. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I watched Transformers: The Movie (1986) the other day for the first time in like 20 years and got a nice kick out of it (you got the touch!), so I decided to give Transformers Prime a try. I'm kinda really liking it, so far I think it's a credit to the franchise.

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    It wasn't until I started posting in LACWAC that I realized how many incarnations there were of The Transformers. Seems like Robimus went to a convention?

I thought it was just the movies and the first cartoon, which my brother was really into.

Does anyone remember the Transformer Star Wars action figures from 2004ish? They were pretty bad; I don't think they're being made anymore. I was really into action figure collecting at the time but passed on those.

Anyway, sorta different topic...I really want to see this movie:

I've got a bit of a crush on Mark Ruffalo, especially when he isn't turning green and tearing **** up*, and I love Kiera Knightley. I caught up on The Daily Show where she was talking about this film. It's been a long time since I saw a good romantic comedy.

*OK, even when he is turning green and tearing **** up.

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  8. Circular Logic

Mar 3, 2013
    Since he's a big fan of this movie, this one's for Revanfan1:

It's sure not quiet on the Death Star tonight
    The flash of lasers can be seen
    A Empire of oppression,
    And I guess I'm rebelling.

TIE fighters howl as they race closer to my side
    Haven't been the same since Old Ben died.

The plan, the trench, the Death Star's beam!
    Keep your eye on that computer screen!
    Two meters for my torpedo
    Then I hear a voice I know.

"Let go", "let go"!
    And trust what you feel inside
    Use the Force, come on Luke!
    Now is not the time to hide!

And I don't care
    What they think they know
    The Force flows through you
    It will always guide you where you need to go.

It's funny when I think that
    I'm upside down somehow
    And a growling vicious Wampa
    Wants to devour me right now!

My lightsaber's stuck in the snow
    I try to reach, but it's too low!
    I use the Force, it comes to me, I'm free!

I can go, I can go
    I can run from this icy hill
    I can go, I can go!
    I'm no monster's meal!

And here I stand
    And just like Ben said...
    The Force flows through me

He threatens Leia through his gloomy mask of black
    I swing my lightsaber in furious and fast attack
    Then he is down and all at once I am sad
    Love comes back to me,
    I must forgive my Dad!

Let it go, let it go
    And trust what you know is right
    Use the Force, come on
    We don't have to fight!

And here I am
    Let love calm fear
    The Force flows through us!
    And it always will be near.

From this video.

Revanfan1 and Force Smuggler like this.
  9. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Circular Logic, that is awesome! But dude, I still want to see one once Rebels come out from Kanan's POV–it fits too perfectly! [face_laugh]

10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    That was perfect!

Revanfan1 likes this.
  11. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Talk about nostalgia trips. I've finally gotten around to checking out the first episode of Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal which is a long awaited one more me. Its great to see my favorite heroine in action again in all her klutzy, ditsy, frilly glory. All thanks to the like fifty full color manga art books this is as close to the Manga's artwork as any Anime ever thought of getting. I'm still digging the art work which honestly may be to the shows detriment at times which does make everyone look emaciated. Thanks to the pastels and the simplicity of the style visually its just never going to get the prize for best animation but it doesn't have to. It looks atleast as good the newer Evangelion movies. Its augmented by well placed CGI at times. As endeared as I am to it, I'm glad Crystal ditched the slapstick that was all over the first anime. Crystal still has some funny moments but I like the more serious tone. The pacing was a little slow but the Sailor Moon in all forms tends to go for a 'slice of life' when while given just a hint of the villain's plans and some foreshadowing of Usagi's (Sailor Moon) destiny. The pace of this anime is obviously going to be quicker with Sailor Mercury getting introduced in the 2nd episode where as the original anime introduces her in like episode 7. My biggest complaints would be while I like the cool updated opening animation the intro song "Moon Pride" is terrible and reeks generic Jpop. The translaion reads like it came out of a Saturday morning cartoon that came out 30 years ago. Really? This is what supercedes 'Moonlight Densetsu'? Normally I don't care to much about openings and ending with anime but when we're talking about "Moonlight Densetsu" it just weak. The background music which is also classic and memorable in the original anime is weak and generic as well. While one track is ethereal (which that same track gets repeated alot) the rest. Frankly I'd rather have to put up with the DiC music.

Well its all good. I leave you with the transformation comparison of new vs old. They are not playing around with these clips on youtube either.

12. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    Warning: Feels Ahead:

Todd the Jedi and EHT like this.
  13. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Pretty cool. The timing with "I wear this crown of thorns" is nice, along with other examples.

14. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Pretty good for a YT video. Can't go wrong with Cash. A bit literal at times, but overall it fits Anakin, so I can look past that. And it had good editing. :cool:

15. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    Deutschland, Fußball Weltmeister 2014. :)

Germany isn't my team but I was rooting for them after their demolition of Brazil the other day. Bit of a goal drought in the game but eh, I was happy enough with the result in the end.

Sgt Crowfield likes this.
  16. Sgt Crowfield

Sgt Crowfield Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 27, 1999
    Well, they are my team, and I'm really glad this worked out the way it did. I was a bit sceptical in the beginning of the tournament :).

17. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
  18. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    He's still got it. I loved the Tacky video too. Gotta love those oners. :D

19. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Continuing with Transformers.

Watched the two parter "Return of Optimus Prime".

So Optimus is just discovered on a ship, okay then. There's these spores that cause something literally called the "Hate Plague", hilarious trope namer.

It's terrible, the plague is stupid, Optimus is brought back to life with like zero ceremony....but both episodes are saved when Optimus uses the Matrix and "You got the touch! You got the power!" cures everyone. I was pretty unimpressed up to that point, I was thinking the entire thing was stupid....and then "you got the touch!" and I was all like "win".

Transformers Prime is still cool. Haven't disliked any of the episodes so far, I like all the characters, haven't been annoyed by any of them, and I loooooooove Airachnid. I'm thinking she's maybe like the Ventress of Transformers Prime.

Oh, and it really is that simple as "you got the touch!" making everything cool.

Seriously, if, at the end of Citadel Rescue, at the part where Ahsoka's lie is called out....if Stan Bush's "The Touch" had come out of Plo's mouth, I would have been totally cool with it, I would have paused, then said "Okay. This is okay. I accept this ending."

I wouldn't care that Transformers is not Star Wars. I wouldn't care. "The Touch" can solve many problems.

20. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I...

...actually, you're right. Yes, I would've been okay with it.

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The Wrong Jedi would have been vastly improved by the Jedi Council breaking into a resounding chorus of that song when they invited Ahsoka back.

Of course the lyrics "you never walk, you never run" would have made for hilarious irony but I still would have enjoyed the episode more.

Revanfan1 and AkashKedavra_93 like this.
  22. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    The sad ending with Ahsoka walking away would have been even better if some over the top Johnny Cash dirge was played over it.

She was thrown out of the Jedi, framed for a crime she didn't commit, and forced through an outrageous kangaroo court, show trial.

And then her dog died. That was the final straw.

23. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    If you're a fan of Homeland:

[​IMG]

24. Circular Logic

Mar 3, 2013
    I found this video rather inspiring:

For those who are unfamiliar, American Ninja Warrior is a reality obstacle course-based TV show where a few hundred athletes challenge a grueling four-stage obstacle course known as Mount Midoriyama (緑山). Sorry, Americans, but adding "Mount" before Midoriyama translates into "Mount Green Mountain". How silly. Anyway, it's a challenge based upon Japan's SASUKE competition which has been running strong for the past 17 years (and of which I am a big fan). The American version is currently in its sixth season (compared to 30 so far in Japan). The video above went viral and shows the first female competitor to complete a city finals course in order to earn her spot in the top 90 or so competitors who get the chance to tackle Midoriyama in Las Vegas. Though the show is a bit too reality-TV at times for my taste, I enjoy it for the fact that it is a competition that really challenges the competitors to reach a level of physical ability that at times makes us wonder if it's within the limits of human athletic ability. Thus far no one has ever completed every stage of Midoriyama in America, and only three men have ever completed it in Japan. Interestingly, none of the winners were taller than 5'4" (162 cm) or heavier than 141 lbs (64 kg).

What makes this video so inspiring is that Kacy Catanzaro (5'0", 100 lbs!) shows us that determination and perseverance can allow women to do things that our often male-dominated sports mindset doesn't allow us to imagine. She proved without a shadow of a doubt that women can indeed compete with and even surpass men in a truly demanding physical challenge. Sure, her small size and low weight might serve as advantages on some of the upper body-based obstacles, as she is able to preserve her stamina better, but she still managed to compensate for her lack of height and reach through impressive technique and sheer willpower. Truly an inspiring run, and I will be rooting for her when the city finals are complete and the Vegas course airs on television.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  25. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    I was bummed when G4 died, since I always loved watching both that and the original. but now it's airing on NBC, so yay!

And yeah, it's pretty cool how well she's done. They almost make the course look easy the way they fly through it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.