main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Fisto's Disco: The LACWAC Social Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by G-FETT, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    I'm glad these guys aren't around anymore. Especially that shark one.

Also warning: A couple of swear words used.

2. Jax_the_Admiral

Jax_the_Admiral Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 21, 2014
    Remember when the Discovery Channel was educational?

[​IMG]

3. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Lol. Yeah, exactly.

Anyone remember Bill Nye The Science Guy?

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    He's still around. In some capacity.

5. Jax_the_Admiral

Aug 21, 2014
    I used to spend all my time watching the History Channel's documentaries. Now all they show are those goddamn Pawn Stars. The last time they actually showed something educational was that Caligula marathon.

6. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I remember Bill Nye.

Ah the days when History wasn't the Louisiana Channel and Animal Planet was about, you know, Animals.Not backwoods stump jumpers living on ice lakes, looking for gold in like the rain forest, and railroading in Alaska (And that's from a Railfan). Luckily I get Science Channel and NatGeo Wild although the later is starting to turn Surprisingly Human.

Senator Kelberry likes this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    You all are reminding me of why I don't subscribe to cable.

8. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

You know, when I saw the title I wasn't too keen on checking it, because I've found that people who tend to "tell it like it is" tend to use that as an excuse for being incredibly and unnecessarily hurtful.

But I gave it a shot and found myself relating to a lot of them, because the list is very aware of the downside of being blunt.

I found myself sorta saying "okay, that's me" to 1, 2, 6, definitely 8, somewhat 10, definitely 11, definitely 14, definitely 15, 19, and 20.

Yeah, I've kinda developed this reputation among some people. I kinda see this as a good thing. I've noticed that some people do come to me when they really want a frank opinion on an important matter, but at the same time, don't really ask about casual, every day stuff, which makes me think they think I'm blunt all the time, incapable of judging when it's not necessary. Still, I think they sorta value my opinion in those limited circumstances because they can count on an honest evaluation.

I've also noticed some people avoid asking for my opinion, presumably because they expect brutal honesty.

Still, I'm not so heartless that I'd tell a woman she totally looks fat or some **** like that.

This is just common sense and I think it applies to everybody. Duh, you can't just let **** fly, no matter how hurtful it is, you have to have some filter.

My initial feeling told me these were wrongheaded, especially #5.

Because I'm pretty sure when someone labels me an *******, there's a highly likelihood that I was actually being an *******, and being honest is not mutually exclusive.

I'm not in denial about being an ******* sometimes, thinking the whole world is full of ridiculous people being ridiculous about my annoying and hurtful ******* behavior.

I do not have "haters" who "can't handle the truth", I have people who hate me because I'm an ******* to them for being brutally honest to them unnecessarily and against their will.

I think the "haters" mindset is just an incredibly delusional and convenient way to deny things.

Well, first, I never actually respond with this, because it's just comes off as obnoxious. I do, however, think this and use my best judgment as to which I should actually give them.

No, I'm constantly thinking of how to say things in a way that is less hurtful, I'm constantly trying to find ways to soften the blow. Or, I forget to, and afterward realize it was unnecessarily harsh and wish that I had watered it down a bit.

Yes, absolutely. Ugh. I wish I had better impulse control. I often say things without thinking, see it hurt someone, then I feel like an idiot and wish I hadn't said it. I have the impulse control of a child.

Yes and no, in certain ways. Dishing it out doesn't somehow make me (or anyone) immune to being hurt, but a lot of the time the things I dish out are the things that often don't hurt me, so I don't really realize they hurt others (like saying Ahsoka or TCW sucks, apparently). However, hurting others so freaking often and expecting forgiveness I think has contributed to my being able to forgive in return.

Yes, and this is what sorta makes the list more identifiable. This is very important, especially to all those people out there who are just so proud of their brutal honesty.

Uh, yeah, but for entirely different reasons, I think. It has nothing to do with being honest, but with being so dishonest and sarcastic so often that it allows me to superficially pass off honesty as just more sarcasm.

I have been asked "wait, are you serious" so many times in my life, but almost always by people who don't quite know me that well.

Absolutely.

Okay, I have to admit I've had people do this, usually people who really like me and don't want me to ruin it.

Yeah, this is just common sense.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I haven't really thought of people using "calling it like they see it" as an excuse to be an ass; I've had far worse experiences with people who smile and sweet-talk to your face and then trash you behind your back, which is horribly dishonest and makes me insane. But yeah...point.

I've lost sleep more than once over hurting someone's feelings unintentionally, although not over saying I hate Ahsoka or TCW.

I forgot to add #9 to my list. I'm pretty sure my sister has warned her friends that I have no filter before introducing me. :p

And definitely #15.

10. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Isn't their a show called Swamp People (Based in the south) that needs subtitles so people can understand what the main cast is saying? I saw a glimpse of it once and it makes me never want to watch reality t.v again...

11. Jax_the_Admiral

Aug 21, 2014
    Yep and its terrible.

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I would say it can't be worse than pretending to be a duck and hoping other ducks will want to get laid.

But I suppose it can.

13. Jax_the_Admiral

Aug 21, 2014
    [​IMG]

Someday I will try to have an epic beard like this...

Women will be all over me. Mwahahaha!

14. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    Did someone mention beards?

[​IMG]

Seerow and TheSilentInfluence like this.
  15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I like a goatee or a trim beard like Obi-Wan has. Not into the long ones.

16. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    K this is three pages late but anakinfansince1983 you are a school librarian, you're not allowed to use "literally" in non-literal fashion!!!

I used to think CT-867-5309 was an ******* but now I like to think of you as a friend in a weird way. :D

17. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I like Deadliest Catch, My Cat From Hell, and Dr. Pol on NatGeo Wild. I think that's it for me with reality TV. I spent my Labor Day weekend sick as a dog with the stomach flu and watched a bunch of the Ice Lake Rebels on Animal Planet. I kept wondering if I was supposed to feel sorry for the cast for making the choice of live in -50F in bum **** no where cuz I don't.

18. MrRC-Sev

MrRC-Sev Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2014
    I may sound like [...] a nerdy loser for saying this but I had a CW marathon on Labor Day

[EDIT: Such offensive language is not acceptable here. Please refrain from using such language in the future -- TG]

19. Jax_the_Admiral

Aug 21, 2014
    Well... you sound nerdy but we wouldn't be on these forums if we were not nerdy.

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Eh, there's nerdy and there's trolling.

This forum has room for all kinds.

21. Jax_the_Admiral

Aug 21, 2014
    Err... was he trolling?

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  23. Jax_the_Admiral

Aug 21, 2014
    I guess it went over my head.

24. MrRC-Sev

MrRC-Sev Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2014
    I'm not nerdy nor am I trolling. So please stop spiting me.

I'm not trolling, nor am I nerdy, I'm just a fan of Star Wars in a overally strict forum, big difference.

Woah sorry, my phone crapped out on me didn't mean to make 2 posts.

25. Jax_the_Admiral

Aug 21, 2014
    Whats the big deal with being nerdy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.