main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Fisto's Disco: The LACWAC Social Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by G-FETT, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Everyone likes the Time song, especially with Charlie Chaplin accompanying it. :D

jabberwalkie likes this.
  2. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Well played Todd the Jedi. Davak24 Hans Zimmer is a great composer, and I like a lot of his film scores. He is right up there with Jerry Goldsmith, John Williams, and James Horner IMO. I like the "Time" piece, but for awhile after Inception came out it was overused IMO so I got a little tired of hearing it. I actually haven't listened to that score recently either.

3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I actually have the whole Inception score on my iPod. There's once called Waiting For A Train that's a bit long but it's actually probably the best piece from the score.

Horner and Williams are great though. Michael Giacchino and John Powell are pretty great too.

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  4. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    Here's a few scores I'm quite fond of from Dario Marianelli, Academy Award-winner from Atonement

1. "Elegy for Dunkirk", Atonement

2. "Evey Reborn", V for Vendetta

3. "Dawn", Pride and Prejudice

4. "Dance With Me", Anna Karenina

5. "With My Own Eyes", Atonement

5. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    Bear McCreary did some fantastic work on the 2004 re-imagined series of Battlestar Galactica. I personally thought that three of the strongest tracks from the series were "Prelude to War," "Admiral and Commander," and "Kat's Sacrifice." He also has written music for Agents of SHIELD, Black Sails, and Constantine.

As a side note, I think that Bear McCreary may have been a better choice for scoring a film like Rogue One over Alexandre Desplat even though I did like the Godzilla score he did. That's just my opinion though.

Kentoa and AkashKedavra_93 like this.
  6. AkashKedavra_93

Jan 8, 2011

You should check out McCreary's Emmy-nominated score for Outlander. It's fantastic.

TheSilentInfluence likes this.
  7. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    I remember watching the pilot episode (it was free on demand) and wondering who did the score. Since I never watched another episode I forgot about it, I'll look for the score. Thanks for the rec. [face_peace]

8. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
  9. Kentoa

Kentoa Jedi Master star 4

Oct 2, 2014
    This is one of my favorite Bear McCreary scores from BSG. I miss that show so much :(

10. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    Davak24

It's ok, but it doesn't really stick out to me the way that the way that Vespertilio, Antrozous, or Molossus (more on this below) do from the same score. That particular piece pretty much complements the scene it is played in pretty well, but if you didn't know where it came from I'm sure you would have a rather difficult time placing it. (You can actually hear parts of Molossus in the piece you linked.) That's just not the case IMO for the three pieces I listed above which are easily identifiable from the same film. I wouldn't say that it is generic action type of music, but it really doesn't strike me as memorable.

As a contrast, this piece from when the convoy is being chased from The Dark Knight Rises feels much more intense and back and forth as opposed to the composition they used for the train fright in Batman Begins. The interesting thing to note about the Nolan-verse Batman films is that the themes for Batman as a hero evolved overtime with the character. The while we had similar type of moments in Antrozous and Molossus for a theme, those same themes make an appearance later in The Dark Knight but with a a bit more of a triumphant/heroic tone to them.

Kentoa

I thought that BSG was fantastic for what it was and was glad it had a limited story line to run. When BSG ended its run on SciFi here in the states (Stargate Atlantis ended around the same time), what is now re-branded as the Syfy channel started its decline into obscurity until recently. Helix had a fantastic first season, but the second season was terrible. Killjoys this season was interesting at times. Dark Matter has been decent, but wrapped up pretty strongly. Both of which reminded me of the good old SciFi Friday days. Defiance ended this season with a season finale that felt very, very much like a series finale. In fact I think that this last season of Defiance may have been the show's strongest.

11. Davak24

Jul 15, 2015
    jabberwalkie

Wow that's pretty deep, man. And great song. It involved? Wow. It's been so since I watched the trilogy, that I forget it did.

What do you think of this one?

To me, Harvey's fall reminds me of Anakin's. You know, like how they both were at the start good people, but they lost the ones they loved and ended up what they sought to destroy.

12. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    Davak24

I like that one. It builds the tension well, and builds to a sort of climax until it abruptly ends. I think that what Zimmer did well with that track is capturing the darker side of that entire scene.

As to the comparison to Anakin, I have a hard time seeing the complete comparison between them that led to their transformation. Anakin hadn't lost everything by the time he had fallen to the dark side, slaughtered the younglings, slaughtered the CIS leadership on Mustafar, and dueled with Kenobi. Where as Dent lost Rachel, and with his disfigurement ended any further political aspirations he may have had. He pretty much broke down having lost anything that mattered to him, and in the face of one individual orchestrating such chaos in the city he was making such an impact in. I can see how they are similar though in that they fell from grace more or less.

13. Davak24

Jul 15, 2015
    Yes, the fall from grace is what I meant.

14. AkashKedavra_93

Jan 8, 2011
    jabberwalkie: Outlander also is created by the same team as BSG (quite the leap, in a way).

jabberwalkie likes this.
  15. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
  16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I remember the books being pretty good, at least. Not seen the series yet.

17. AkashKedavra_93

Jan 8, 2011

Definitely! The music is amazing, the show is entirely shot in Scotland so it's gorgeous, and Claire is easily one of the best female protagonists out there. The pacing for the first season is a little uneven, especially in the first half, and some people were turned off by the amount of sexual content. But I'd highly recommend it. Episode 6 was what confirmed my continuation with the show. :)

18. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Oh awesome thanks for letting me know. :) I'll have to check it out then. How long is the series so far?

Iron_lord

I didn't even know there were books. How many are there?

19. AkashKedavra_93

Jan 8, 2011

There are 8 books so far and the show has just completed its first season. Perfect time to jump in. :)

20. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Finally got tickets for Celebration 2016![face_party]

To bad Saturday sold out.

[​IMG]

TheSilentInfluence and Kentoa like this.
  21. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Great. :) I'm looking forward to reading/watching outlander now.

Jedi Knight Fett

Congrats. :D I hope you have an awesome time.

22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    In London? I've been trying to figure out if I can afford to go. Chances are slimmer now since I just had to replace the A/C unit in my house.

But...it's a good time of year for me, unlike other Celebrations, and it's London, so if I can get there, I'll be there.

23. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    But Anakin gets redemed and Harvey didn't.

You want similar try Catwoman from Batman and the Black Cat from Spiderman, Both Cat burglers (complete with Cat moteff) and Leather outfits, (both which show off there cleavege :rolleyes: ) who range from villains to anti heros and straight hero's who are also the love interest of the main character Batman and Spiderman.

Yet I aint gonna lie, I love both characters and think they both make ideal love interests and prefer Felicia to Mary Jane. Sidenote, Am I the only person that gets fed up with that fake cheery "hey tiger crap"? I keep expecting Peter to yell back it's Spider not Tiger

24. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Have you been to London before ?
    If not, there is always other stuff to do besides the Celebrations as well

25. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    And the tickets will most likely sell out within the year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.