main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fitness, Health & Weight Loss 2013 - Prepare for CVII

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by nnaydolem, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    I've been terrible. I need to get back into a serious mode for exercise, diet and weight loss. I was over where I wanted to be by the middle of summer, and then things just went way downhill since I started the new job. Less exercise time, a ready supply of unhealthy snacks, and little willpower most of the time have not been a good combination. I have been doing 1hr hikes in the morning before work three days a week, but it's not been enough. Probably because of poor diet and less exercise the rest of the time.

So, my plan:

- Get back on a decent diet. This means logging what I eat and STICKING WITH IT. So many days I have started, only to quit halfway through the day. I need to keep to a decent caloric intake. Cut out foods I shouldn't be eating. And make myself stick with the logging, no matter how much of a pain in the ass it is.
    - Limit alcohol. It's nice to sometimes have a glass of wine with dinner after a long day at work, but it's just adding calories. And so much easier to have a second glass once you've had the first! So, no more drinking unless it's with a group of friends and limited in amount.
    - More exercise. I'd like to keep the morning hiking schedule - I go with friends and it's nice to get out in nature on a regular basis. But I need to add some more serious exercise on top of that. I'm looking into picking up a 24hr Fitness gym membership again.

I haven't picked up the gym membership before now because it just didn't seem like it would work out to be worth it. I didn't want to give up the morning hikes, as they are good from a peaceful nature frame of mind point of view. It isn't worth it to pay for gym if I go only 2 mornings a week though. Another key point is that the 24hr Fitness gym just down the street from my work SUCKS. As in, I wouldn't pay money for that to be my gym. The other ones in the area, which I would presume are nicer, aren't quite as convenient which means I'm that less bit likely to go. My tentative plan to get around these points is to pick up a discounted multi-gym membership from Costco. It's like half-price or so over the long run. I can go to the nicer gym two mornings a week. Then, to make the investment worth it, I have to make myself go in the evenings a few days a week as well. That's the toughest part for me - doing it after a long, tiring day at work when all I want to do is go home. In the two years I had gym membership before, I managed this feat, like, twice? Maybe three times. My hope is that, since I drive right past the lame gym on my route home, that I can make myself stop off for some treadmill time at least 2 days a week. This will be key for making the cost worth it.

I have a goal schedule. I'm attending Emerald City Comic Con up in Seattle next March. I want to be able to fit into the Star Trek short-skirt uniform I bought earlier this summer, and look good in it.

The complication is that I'm trying to do this over the holidays. Holiday food. Leftovers. Winter baking. Mulled wine. All those wonderful things that I will have to either cut out or really reduce to strong moderation.

To start, today I am going to start being good about food logging. I was good about it for almost a year before. It's just hard to do it now for some reason. I use BodyMedia, since it goes with the bodybug step counter I have. I'd love to join you guys on MyFitnessPal, but I have a hard enough time logging on ONE system. Chances of making myself do it on two places are 3720 to 1.

I am going to check out gyms this weekend. There are two other options that I haven't seen yet. One is a sport, one a super sport. Cost is a factor of two. Need to see how the sport one is, and whether it's good enough to be worth saving the money - or if I'd be better off spending more to get a place more worth going. Once I decide, I need to get the membership from Costco, and hopefully have everything set sometime next week.

2. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    I found out this morning that my BodyMedia account can be linked to a myfitnesspal account, so I thought I'd join you all.

Except, apparently every single username in existence is already taken! :rolleyes: I've tried half a dozen already.

3. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Ok, finally found one that is available. I'm on there as ajenb.

edit: No, website, I am not going to give you the email addresses of my friends, no matter much much you promise not to spam them.

4. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    This has to be the most unfriendly goal-setting app I have ever attempted. I know very well what numbers I want in there, but the program apparently has its own ideas. Gr.

Edit. Seriously. It refuses to let me edit my calorie burn rate, even in custom goal setting. Screw this.

5. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    I did manage to re-join the gym last night. Tomorrow will be my first visit.

nnaydolem and DieWompRatDie like this.
  6. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
    so the site gives you options on how many lbs you want to loose a week...than it will adjust the calories based on what exercise you put in.

7. Haikukid

Haikukid Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 30, 2013
    Anyone else make a 2014 resolution to get more fit? I have, did my first real work out in a while, feel great but wow my your know what has been kicked! If anyone is trying to pump up their fitness in 2014 Keep it up and stay focused!

nnaydolem likes this.
  8. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    yep! i have a lot to go! so i am down 24, i gained 4 back over the holidays...but i am getting back on the wagon so to speak

Haikukid likes this.
  9. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    So am I. I just reset my goals in the BodyMedia app. Same weight, same rate loss, justthe date pushed further out. [face_blush] The hard part for me these days is tracking what I eat. I can be good in the morning and lunchtime, but it gets so tiresome and I give up by dinner. It's hardest when you prepare your own food at home. I have really, really been wanting to eat more healthy food - organic, cage-free, prepared myself without the chemicals and additives. But it makes it harder to track for dieting. Much easier for dieting when it's pre-packaged food and you just have to select a package name. o_O

nnaydolem and Haikukid like this.
  10. Haikukid

Sep 30, 2013
    I read somewhere you should eat like a King at breakfast, a Prince at lunch, and a peasant for dinner, so maybe beefing up (so to speak) breakfast and lunch will help you make it to a healthy dinner? I am no expert on health by far, but I think for myself focusing on my motivations to have a healthier lifestyle works better than concentrating on strengthening my will power, and my main motivation is to be a good example to my kids and live as long and healthy as I can for them.

Oh, and great job nnaydolem! 24lbs lost! that is great!

11. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Yes, I too have heard that your big meal should be breakfast and subsequent meals should be smaller. I can see where that is coming from, but I find it hard to do. I do eat breakfast, but it is usually fruit these days and not took my calories. Except for Friday, when they bring bagels into work. But typically I like trying to stay ahead on the calorie game. I have a target of 500 calorie deficit per day. I like it when I can remain at my target after eating, ie be near 500 deficit after the meal. Like having money in the bank to spend rather than charging a credit card. :p

Anyway, I've been sticking with the diet and exercise for almost a week now. Sun i hiked 9 miles, and during the week I've gone 17 miles so far. Sat will be my first weigh-in since then and I just hope it proves worth it. Seeing actual progress is the best motivator.

12. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    i went to the rio last night...that is all i have to say. :(

13. Haikukid

Sep 30, 2013
    Rio rocks! Just keep moving and all will be well:D

nnaydolem likes this.
  14. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    my goal is another 20 by may the 4th i think that is completely doable....so going to start keeping track of EVERYTHING in myfitnesspal.com

15. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    I find that about 1 lb/week is a good average goal.

16. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Well, I lost my target 1lb this week. Which is good - I'm glad that it was something. Can't deny I was hoping for more, but at least it's progress. Now to go for a long hike.

17. Haikukid

Sep 30, 2013
    My nemesis is soda, and the Dark Lord....Vader. J/k (but not really) I love me some Dr. P!! I am weaning myself off of it, did real well this week and try to go cold turkey next...I know, "There is no try..."

Great work everyone working on their fitness in 2014!!

18. Haikukid

Sep 30, 2013
    Doing good I have lost 4 lbs and 0.5 inches in my waist....but uh oh nnaydolem I see we both "liked" that Girl Scout Cookies were going to be at the next RMFF meeting.....NOOO! must resist the Scouts temptations!

19. DieWompRatDie

DieWompRatDie Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2008

I suspect that we will buy a box or two, take a couple out of the boxes and then take the rest to my work where those with better metabolisms can eat them!

nnaydolem likes this.
  20. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    well my goal is 20 more by starfest...i really buckled down yesterday and am tracking again....so hopefulllllly....

Haikukid likes this.
  21. Haikukid

Sep 30, 2013
    I will probably buy a box or two also, but not for me! [face_whistling] (yeah right!)

FanForced likes this.
  22. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    OK back down 2 lbs...almost back to pre-christmas...hanging in there! come on! i need another 20 gone by Starfest & May the 4th! I like to set small goals towards my larger overall goal.

23. Dark Crafty

Dark Crafty Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 21, 2013
    Ive been doing the HerbaLife shakes and they have been awesome.. They have helped a lot, I would highly recommend them (and no I don't sell HerbaLife :p)

24. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    I am down since last week a total of...(looking) 4 something...myfitnesspal.com as great charts and graphs...it's been awesome. they even have this little fun graphic to add to post. :)

this is mine :p

[​IMG]

Haikukid likes this.
  25. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    ok so it was being weird...that is since august. with a break during the holidays....i gained back 7 over the holiday which i am almost gone again.