main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fitting the Eye of Palpatine into Clone Wars events

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Excellence, Jan 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    The Eye of Palpatine mission was "30yrs ago." Depends how you take that, of course. 30yrs from Children of the Jedi?

If the book is 12yrs after E4, I have tentatively calculated the remaining 18yrs back to three years after AOTC. That would be the time of E3. Is that right? When the Jedi Purge may have started?

2. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Fortunately, the dating of the events surrounding the Eye's launch, the Belsavis attack, and the Jedi mission aboard the ship just happen to be one of the rare direct concatenations stemming out of the years just prior to Lucas commencing work on Episode I, when he consequently decided to scuttle the Clone Wars dates provided to authors like Timothy Zahn in order to move Anakin Skywalker's age backwards and mine his newfound fascination with Force-prodigy moppets.

The Eye was sent out on its mission in the year 18 BSW4 (also sourced in the Star Wars Timeline Gold chronology and in Timetales), which approximately corresponds with what we will *likely* see occurring in Episode III, not the least of which is the birth of the twins in this same year. Although the film does begin the previous year, based upon the evidence, it will apparently end up spanning both of these two years (19-18 BSW4); the events from the story also coincide with the days when the Great Purge itself would later be exercised quite openly against the Jedi, and with Lucas's plans for the third prequel film.

Quite fortuitous, that. But it's never bothered me before or since.

(Check the Clone Wars Dossier thread, which provides an in-depth analysis of all of this material, and which effectively settles any alleged dating difficulties.)

3. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Unless there's been changes to when EP3 is set that I'm not aware of, EP3 is supposed to be 2 years after AotC. Which would place the Eye of Palpatine appearing during the Purge.

4. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    Actually, Episode III is now set 19 years BBY, or 3 years after Geonosis.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, they've (thankfully) extended the span of time the Clone Wars take place in ny an extra year.

I'm personally hoping to see the EOP mission occur in a future comic, or perhaps a post-EP3 novel written by KJA (after Planet of Twilight, Hambly shouldn't be allowed back, despite Children of the Jedi being pretty decent).

6. Vympel

Vympel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2002
    Oh, more KJA, that would be wonderful. *rolleyes* Maybe we can have yet another lame superweapon, and a pre-adolscentDaala, well on her way to criminal incompetence.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I say KJA only because the EOP is basicly a superweapon of sorts, so it'd be right up his alley to tell this story, not to mention he wrote the only good book of the "Callista trilogy", and has the most insight into her character as a result (shy Hambly). Additionally, he has past expierience with the older Jedi traditions (TOTJ, etc) practiced by Callista's master.

So, really, there probably isn't a better suited choice available.

Besides, his superweapon tendancies aside, the majority of his work has been a great contribution to the EU (TOTJ, Tales of/from short stories, etc) so it'd be nice to have him return beyond his Darth Bane story in Gamer a few years ago.

As for the topic at hand- the Essential Chronology locks the EOP mission in at 18 years BBY.

8. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    I doubt KJA would receive a very warm welcome (look at what he did to DUNE!)

9. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    i'm not sure we need to have the full story told, but rather simply a nice reference would be cool in another Ep3 era work, mentioning that Callista and co. are off on a mission to investigate a new project of the Emperor's.

10. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I've always imagined the event occuring around the end of the clone wars, just after the Jedi find out what Palpatine really is.

11. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Okay, so Lucas has thrown over the traces again and made Luke and Leia 18 in ANH again (well, 18 1/2)? ;) :p [face_laugh] Can't say I'm complaining...

But aye, the Eye is now nicely timed, isn't it... :D

I'm starting to think that George has been messing with everyone's heads ever since he anounced the whole Prequel project...

- The Imperial Ewok

12. Shadeleader

Shadeleader Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 25, 2003
    Maybe this means we'll see callista in ep III, which should probably go on 3sa's 'what would make you walk out of the movie?' thread...

13. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    Personally, I rather enjoyed COTJ the most of the "Callista triptych," although part of me suspects that's somewhat the Alderaan/Bail Organa-junkie in me talking. ;)

It wasn't nearly as literarily bletcherous as some folks vilify it as being, by any means.

i'm not sure we need to have the full story told, but rather simply a nice reference would be cool in another Ep3 era work, mentioning that Callista and co. are off on a mission to investigate a new project of the Emperor's.[/b][hr][/blockquote]It certainly might bear getting expanded across a full-length story, either short-form or long-. These events were rather important enough for [i]at least[/i] two of the very few known surviving Jedi to team up and tackle, risking the few remaining embers of their order against something of this magnitude in a period when their kind was virtually extinct (granted, there was also that whole "spouse"-thing in the mix, but I digress...).

A bare mention in some third-hand dialogue? It'd be nice, sure; and I'd take it barring anything else.

But explicating the story in "real time"? Eminently workable, too.

14. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    Has there ever been a pic of the Eye published anywhere?

15. Baron_Daniel_Fel

Baron_Daniel_Fel Jedi Youngling

Jan 4, 2004
    No pic...I don't think anyone has tried yet to do one.

And please no KJA...let him butcher Dune along with Frank's son so those fans will have two lobbies but KJA best work is ancient history material anything that starts coming close to current timeline he writes with the skill of a bad fanfic artist.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    JAT and Darksaber captured the action-pace of the OT quite well...be rather fitting to inject that feel into the era that marks the transition to the OT, IMO.

KJA may not be the best EU author ever, but he wasn't exactly among the worst either and the majority of his work has been among the better of the EU.

And, despite his flaws, he really is ideally suited to telling this particular story

17. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    Aside from the fact that every comic, mainstream novel and short story is written in language that clearly shouts out young teen audience, I've no problem with his works. His contributions have been extensive and overall on par.

I enjoyed the Academy Trilogy. Don't forget: it came early in the SW series; other, later books persisted with more superweapon-class threats, but for the trilogy it was early enough to be okay.

Darksbaer, on the other radank, was nothing serious. And the dialogue in the TOTJ comics was utterly immature, childish. A whopping difference when compared to modern fair.

But it's good to know the Eye of Palpatine events doesn't conflict with prequel events. Even if E3 had been two years after Geonosis, it would have still been okay.

Say, dare I venture to ask when the Katana Fleet is dated in the prequel era? HTTE added an extra ten years to TPM/AOTC events, but that was long ago, whensuch info was speculatory.

18. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    And the dialogue in the TOTJ comics was utterly immature, childish. A whopping difference when compared to modern fair.

Have we forgotten Durge so quickly? ;)

19. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000

Darksbaer, on the other radank, was nothing serious. And the dialogue in the TOTJ comics was utterly immature, childish. A whopping difference when compared to modern fair.[/b][hr][/blockquote]Pick up [i]Redemption[/i] at some point...it might give you a slightly different outlook on what he's capable of as a writer when there aren't any Siths or wars raging around the characters. [face_happy]

[b][blockquote][hr]But it's good to know the Eye of Palpatine events doesn't conflict with prequel events. Even if E3 had been two years after Geonosis, it would have still been okay.[/b][hr][/blockquote]Yup. It's rather weird...the original dating egressing from an era before Lucas swatchered things around quite a bit, but still tracking cleanly with the films from the here-and-now. Won't be at all shocked if and when this finally gets addressed in the future.

[b][blockquote][hr]Say, dare I venture to ask when the Katana Fleet is dated in the prequel era? HTTE added an extra ten years to TPM/AOTC events, but that was long ago, whensuch info was speculatory.[/b][hr][/blockquote]The [i]Katana[/i] launch occurred circa 46 BSW4, going by the new calendarial dating schema we've obtained since then.

20. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    I've got Redemption. :D It's much better, all right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.