main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Five Favorite Films with Ewan McGregor

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Zaz, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I love 'King of Comedy'

2. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
    Elisabeth Shue's Five Favorite Films:

Ordinary People (1980, 91% Tomatometer)
    Ordinary People Ordinary People is a really important movie to me, because it was a movie I watched and had the spark of idea that I wanted to be an actress. Basically because of Timothy Hutton's performance, and the visceral nature of that movie, the rawness of the emotion. I think at a young age -- I was fourteen or fifteen -- I felt like I could relate to him, and then this weird thing happened where I felt like I was him. While I was watching the movie, I felt like I was feeling exactly what he was feeling, and I thought, "Wow... I would love to be in a movie like that."

Jaws (1975, 100% Tomatometer)
    JawsThe other movie that was really influential to me was Jaws. I was only 12, and that I thought was real! I even thought Charlie's Angels was real! There was such an innocence in our culture when we were growing up, as if this was real life, and maybe there are cameras watching that. [I thought], "They're not fake. These aren't actors. This is real." I don't know why our parents weren't helping us with that.

The Godfather (1972, 100% Tomatometer)
    The Godfather My husband, Davis (Guggenheim), really turned me on to The Godfather as being the quintessentially best movie that was ever made. I started to appreciate why he loved that movie more than any other.

Forrest Gump (1994, 70% Tomatometer)
    Forrest Gump I really like Forrest Gump. I do think that's a perfect movie in some ways. I love Tom Hanks in that movie. I'm really attracted to an innocence in some performances that really touch me in a deeper way.

The Shining (1980, 87% Tomatometer)
    The Shining And The Shining! It totally freaked me out and made me never want to see a horror movie again.

3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    All good picks except Forrest Gump.

4. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    And "Ordinary People" :p

5. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Five Fave Films of the directors of "Catfish"

"Documentary or skilfully edited fiction? We can?t really talk too much about Catfish, the Sundance hit that swims into theaters this week on a wave of word-of-mouth, because, well, it would ruin the experience of watching the film?s events unfold. What we can say is the film -- which charts the unlikely online friendship between New York photographer Nev Schulman and an 8-year-old Michigan girl -- taps into a social phenomenon wholly particular to our time, keeping its audience guessing as it twists and turns into unexpected revelations. Or? are they? Rather than spoil the film, we caught up with co-directors Henry Joost and Rel Schulman (Nev?s brother) and asked them to run through their five favorite films. ?Can we do 100?? asks Joost as they begin reeling off an exhaustive list that runs from from Les Diaboliques to Heat. ?We?ve been agonizing over this.?

Oh, and read on afterward as we get what we can out of them about Catfish... beware spoilers.

Stand by Me (1986, 94% Tomatometer)
    Stand by Me

Rel: It's the movie I watched most between the ages of eight and 12. It was about camaraderie. It was the friendship I always wished I had with three other guys.

The Princess Bride (1987, 95% Tomatometer)
    The Princess Bride

It?s every kind of movie in one.

Rosemary's Baby (1968, 98% Tomatometer)
    Rosemary's Baby

Because I grew up down the street from the Dakota. I have been up in the apartments but never in that apartment. I think Polanski makes the best thriller around.

Grizzly Man (2005, 93% Tomatometer)
    Grizzly Man

I guess because Werner Herzog might be the coolest man in the world. I like how he inserts himself into all of his stories. I?m a big fan of, I guess, ?direct? cinema, but I don?t believe that a documentarian has to be a fly on the wall. That would be dull. I would listen to Herzog read anything. He could read the yellow pages. [On the influence of Herzog on Catfish] I guess just the basic instinct on our part just to be in our own films, to be a cameraman and a voice behind the camera and perhaps a character at times. We definitely get that from Herzog.

Money Talks (1997, 17% Tomatometer)
    Money Talks

Money Talks, by Brett Ratner. [both laugh] Rel: Henry, why do you like that? Henry: Because it?s a pitch perfect action comedy. We watched it recently. You know what?s also a pitch-perfect buddy comedy? Rush Hour. But that?s not in my top five."

6. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Jane Lynch

"Until the Fox network hit it big with its high school dramedy, Glee, Jane Lynch was a recognizable, if not immediately identifiable, face in comedy. After a breakout role in Best in Show, Christopher Guest's largely improvised mockumentary about the world of dog breeding and competition, Lynch went on to star in several films that helped to showcase her sharp wit and impeccable comic timing, like The 40-Year-Old Virgin, Role Models, and For Your Consideration, another Christopher Guest film. At the same time, Lynch increased her presence on television with recurring roles on shows like Showtime's The L Word, CBS's Two and a Half Men, and a slew of other popular programs before finding herself quite a comfortable home as Sue Sylvester on Glee. Just last week, Glee returned for its second season, and with the second episode set to air tonight, we thought it appropriate to share Jane Lynch's Five Favorite Films, which she was kind enough to take time out of her schedule to talk to us about. Read on for the full list!

Private Benjamin (1980, 86% Tomatometer)
    Private Benjamin

This is in no particular order, but Private Benjamin. That, I think, is a perfectly made comedy. I usually stop watching when she gets together with Armand Assante, not that I have anything against it, but for me, the movie's over. [laughs] I thought Goldie Hawn was great, and the people who play her parents, those secondary characters whose names escape me now, do some incredible work. Albert Brooks ? I just saw Private Benjamin again for the first time in four or five years a couple of months ago ? he is amazing, he is so good. He's only in the first couple of scenes, and he plays her husband and he has a heart attack on the night of their wedding reception. But it's a great comic performance by Goldie Hawn.

Zoolander (2001, 62% Tomatometer)
    Zoolander

Zoolander. Yeah, I mean, I love Ben Stiller, he's just a brilliant guy. And I love Will Ferrell in it, too. His character, to me, is just insane and he made such huge choices, and he's such a weirdo! [laughs] And I love Owen Wilson; I think it's the best work he's ever done. And they were both so gorgeous at that time. I know they were making fun of themselves, too, but they both look fantastic. So hilarious.

The Big Lebowski (1998, 78% Tomatometer)
    The Big Lebowski

The Big Lebowski. Jeff Bridges ? I almost put Starman down, too, but I really think I kind of don't remember the movie so much because I haven't seen it in so many years ? but I love Jeff Bridges, and I love the movie he just did. What was it called? Crazy Heart, he's great in that. But, I mean, there's something about The Big Lebowski and that combination with the Coen brothers sensibility, which, he nailed that down. I don't know exactly what you'd even call that, but brilliant. I loved his performance in that, and I loved John Goodman, and I loved Steve Buscemi. And you know who else was great in that, was Philip Seymour Hoffman. He was really good in that movie, too. Yeah, great, great, great fan of that movie.

Ninotchka (1939, 100% Tomatometer)
    Ninotchka

And Ninotchka. You know Ninotchka? I recommend it. It's kind of a mess, too. It was before, you know, we got slick editing tools, so it kind of chops along. You can tell that they shot one thing one day, and then when her hair was a little longer, they shot it again. [laughs] It's Ernst Lubitsch, wonderful director, not too many comedies, and I think that's kind of the reason for the not-so-fluid flow of this film. But it's Greta Garbo being funny ? I'm a huge Greta Garbo fan ? and it shows she has a sense of humor about herself, behind all that Swedish draw; she had a great sense of humor about herself. And I just love Melvyn Douglas; he's wonderful in it.

The Crossing Guard (1995, 74% Tomatometer)
    The Crossing Guard

The Crossing Guard. Not a comedy. [laughs] The Sean Penn film, with Jack Nicholson and Anjelica Huston. I just remember that taking my guts out of my stomach and pulling them. I remember being doubled over ? I went to see a matinee ? and I w

7. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

What the *hell* does she mean, Ernst Lubitsch didn't direct many comedies? He seldom directed anything else.

Apparently Jane's not the sharpest tool in the shed. When I first saw her name, I thought she was David Lynch's wacky daughter.

8. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    God, that comment about Ninotchka is just condescending in the extreme. Ninotchka has a lot more flow than most of the comedies in theaters right now, I'll tell you that.

9. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    If Ninotchka is something that doesn't flow, I don't want to know what does.

10. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Frictionless bedsheets.

11. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001

Five Favorite Films with Justin Long

"Talking with Justin Long is kind of like having a chat with your junior Cinema Professor on the history of movie comedy. Seriously -- the dude can talk for hours on the art of the "spit take" (he's even tried to work the gag into every movie he's appeared in), in between gushing about the Marx Brothers and delivering an uncannily good impersonation of Philip Seymour Hoffman as Lester Bangs in Almost Famous. The actor's typically busy this year, having already antagonized Michael Cera in Youth In Revolt and romanced Drew Barrymore in the recent Going the Distance, and this week he lends his voice to the animated comedy Alpha and Omega, co-starring Christina Ricci, Hayden Panettiere and Dennis Hopper. Taking a break from the promo trail, Justin dropped in to discuss his five favorite films of all time. And wow, did he come prepared.

Back to the Future (1985, 96% Tomatometer)
    Back to the Future

I?m really worried about these five films. It?s such a tough question. I mean, the first one is easy for me, I can do that right off the bat. The first one's Back to the Future, for so many reasons: sentimental, cinematic; in terms of just a movie that you love, measuring a movie in terms of how often you can see it without getting tired of it -- it?s all of those things for me. I think it's the most perfect movie ever made. It's like the form of a movie that all other movies, entertainment-wise, should aspire to. It?s something that I'll always study -- just the storytelling, the efficiency of it. The fact that every element works so perfectly in harmony. It's a thing to behold.

Drugstore Cowboy (1989, 100% Tomatometer)
    Drugstore Cowboy

It's hard for me to narrow it down to my favorite directors and favorite actors, too, but I love Matt Dillon. I love Beautiful Girls and I love Flamingo Kid -- he's responsible for a lot of my favorites, but I'm gonna have to pick Drugstore Cowboy. I saw it when I was a kid and I felt like it was such a different culture than any that I'd ever been exposed to, and I felt like instantly I was a part of it -- even though I had no frame of reference. I mean, I wasn?t a "kid," I was 14 or 15. I had started getting into, you know, that sort of pretentious high school literate phase where you start reading, like, Kerouac and Ginsberg and, I don?t know -- I loved that world, that romanticized, thuggy, kind of petty crime world. I really romanticized it myself and just wanted to be a part of that world; there was something exciting about that for me. And I love the way it's shot. I love the drugged out scenes; I love the way [Gus Van Sant] shoots with cut-outs, those kind of simple, free-floating cut-outs to convey the psychedelic scenes. It was one of my very first exposures to that style of filmmaking that was a lot more patient and took its time and allowed itself to breathe. And from there I got into, like Hal Hartley and the independent movies of the '90s. But my love of that type of film all started with Drugstore Cowboy.

Boogie Nights (1997, 92% Tomatometer)
    Boogie Nights

I think a lot about Martin Scorsese and how heavily influenced Paul Thomas Anderson was by him. I feel like he learned so much from Scorsese in Boogie Nights, and so I feel like picking Boogie Nights is somewhat accounting for my Martin Scorsese love. But I'm also being very honest about a movie that I can watch over and over. Just the epic nature and the grandness of it, and some of the shots and the style of it, and the music -- my God, the way he uses music -- and that great shot where somebody jumps into the pool and you hear the muffled soundtrack. It's brilliant. I never get sick of watching it. And the acting is just some of my favorite actors at the top of their game. I love doing impressions and one of my earliest impressions of an actor was Philip Seymour Hoffman in that movie, when he's saying how much he loves the name and he's chewing on the pen.

Way Out West (1937, 100% Tomatometer)
    Way Out West

I have to pay my respects to two very influential cinema figures for

12. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    What the heck is he talking about in his 'Boogie Nights' recommendation? He likes it because it reminds him of Scorcese?

13. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    "In a career spanning several decades now, animator Bill Plympton has always done things his own way. The New York-based independent artist, noted for animating every frame of his films himself, has worked across movies, graphic novels, and music video, receiving two Oscar nominations for his short films. He's also famed for his long running cartoon strip, Plympton, and has contributed to The New York Times, Rolling Stone and National Lampoon, to name just a few. His sixth animated feature Idiots and Angels, which opens in New York and Los Angeles this month, is the story of an irascible drunk who wakes up with angels wings -- and features music by the one and only Tom Waits. We spoke to Plympton recently and asked him to share his all-time favorite films.

Mind Game (2004, N/A Tomatometer)
    Mind Game

I want to start off with a film you?ve probably seen called Mind Game, by Masaaki Yuasa. It?s a very interesting story. It?s a Japanese film; it?s not anime. It?s very western, actually. It came out in 2005, and critics panned it in Japan, and therefore the producers lost their nerve and shelved the film, which is very sad. I saw it at the Asian Film Festival, and I think you can see it online, but to me, it?s the Citizen Kane of animation. It is such an ambitious and visually unique film. It?s just full of action and full of crazy ideas and surrealism and humor and just beautiful, beautiful craftsmanship.

The Producers (1968, 93% Tomatometer)
    The Producers

Number two is The Producers by Mel Brooks, of course. The reason I like this one is that it?s essentially a cartoon with live actors. They?re so over the top and so exaggerated, and of course the Germans, and Hitler and everything. It?s just like a wacky, wacky Warner Bros. cartoon with live actors. And also, the idea is so unique and so fresh and so dark. It?s a very bleak, dark idea, and I love that.

Dead Alive (1992, 85% Tomatometer)
    Dead Alive

The next one would be Dead Alive by Peter Jackson. Again, another animated cartoon with live actors, and this is a film that really showed me how you can take a violent, dark situation and make it comic. Lots of blood, lots of decapitation, lots of violence, and yet it?s a comedy. That was a big influence on me when I started doing I Married a Strange Person!. I really referred a lot to Dead Alive.

Pillow Talk (1959, 91% Tomatometer)
    Pillow Talk

And then another one called Pillow Talk. That?s a little change of pace here, but it is a film that I always love to watch. I must have seen it 10 times. I don?t remember the director?s name, but I know the writer, Stanley Shapiro, is really great with social satire and the battle of the sexes. For me, it?s a film I continue to laugh at each time I see it. The jokes never get stale.

Baby Doll (1956, 100% Tomatometer)
    Baby Doll

I guess lastly is Baby Doll by Elia Kazan, where Karl Malden plays a sexually inexperienced husband, and his wife plays him for a fool, pretending to be a 12-year-old nymphette. Again it?s a very Southern Gothic, surreal, sexual perversion escapade. It?s another film I?ve watched many times and find it very hilarious."

14. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    "Five Favorite Films with Corey Feldman
    The Lost Boy shares his all-time favorites with RT
    by Luke Goodsell | Wednesday, Oct. 13 2010

Think of some of the most beloved movies of the 1980s and chances are Corey Feldman made an appearance in them. From Gremlins and Stand By Me to The Goonies and The Lost Boys, the young actor notched up a succession of classics before those heady days of teen idolatry -- the so-called ?Two Coreys,? named for his movies with fellow pin-up Corey Haim -- would go on to enshrine him on the adolescent bedroom walls of an era. Though his well-publicized period since has been erratic -- and marred by tragedy, with Haim?s unfortunate death earlier this year -- Feldman has proved that he?s a survivor, returning to the role of vampire hunter Edgar Frog that he made famous in The Lost Boys. With this week?s latest installment, Lost Boys: The Thirst, reuniting him with fellow ?87 Frog brother Jamison Newlander, Feldman has come full circle -- complete with signature head band and copy of Batman No. 14. We spoke to the actor recently and asked him to name his Five Favorite Films. He politely declined to include Gremlins, despite RT?s insistence.

The Star Wars trilogy (1977-1983; 97%, 94%, 78% Tomatometer)
    Star Wars

Star Wars, the first trilogy. Obviously Star Wars is one of the landmark films of all time, being ahead of its time with special effects -- the overall scope and perspective of that film being what it was at that time; not to mention the ingenuity of the story line and the character development of all of those films. I really like that fact that not only are we dealing with great characters, great storylines, great special effects, and all of those things, there?s the extra added element of spirituality, which a lot of people seem to either not recognize or ignore. But the fact is you?re talking about the dark side of the Force and the light side and what?s good and evil, and the Emperor, and the politics; there?s a lot of politics involved. I think it?s a great reflection on life as a whole.

The Godfather trilogy (1972-1990; 100%, 98%, 66% Tomatometer)
    Godfather

Obviously the Godfather films are what they are -- some of the best written and directed films in history, you know; the best performances I?ve ever seen by the greatest ensemble cast probably ever in the history of cinema. Some of the best art direction, best lighting, best cinematography, I mean -- all of it.

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971, 90% Tomatometer)
    Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

I?m a big kid, I?m a kid at heart, so I still love the classic family films, such as the great Warner Bros film Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory -- not the remake, but the original. It?s still one of the best movies, hands down, ever made, and of course that goes back to the ingenuity of the characters and the storyline. [Producer] David Wolper did such an amazing job bringing it to life, and Gene Wilder gave such an amazing performance. The songs, the music, the colors, the scope -- it was just brilliant and really lead you to a fantasy world that didn?t exist, but that we could all imagine was real.

The Wizard of Oz (1939, 100% Tomatometer)
    The Wizard of Oz

Same thing, The Wizard of Oz -- that will always be one of my all-time favorites. The transition from black-and-white into color, you know, that idea of merging the two worlds using cinematic magic, to meld those worlds for the first time ever. I mean, you look back at the movie and obviously you can see now that there were backdrops and cheap sets and all of that kind of stuff, where today we would probably laugh at it and brush it off as a B-movie. But in those days it was magic. And it?s still magic.

The Color Purple (1985, 88% Tomatometer)
    The Color Purple

I would say five would probably have to go The Color Purple, Steven Spielberg?s film, which obviously deals with racism but also deals with a lot of human emotions. Everything from abuse, controlling husbands, abusive parents to family life. Just so much emotion. The music is incredible -- Qu

15. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

Assuming that neither his publicist or manager wrote the list for him, I'm impressed. Decent choices and nice explanations! Way to go, Corey!

16. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Yeah, good taste.

17. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    "For a director whose films -- from the eclectic pop confection Romeo + Juliet to the widescreen-nostalgic Australia -- are rich with references to cinema history, it should come as no surprise to find Baz Luhrmann arrives at his "Five Favorite Films" list both well prepared and bearing a caveat of sorts. "To me there are the usual suspects, in terms of the things I particularly like," he begins, when asked to break it down to five, "from Apocalypse Now to Lawrence of Arabia to Bandwagon, to The Seventh Seal or Annie Hall or The Wizard of Oz or Cabaret. They go from epics to musicals, but when I started to think about it, I started scribbling down these lists and there was Battle of Algiers and Being John Malkovich, All the President?s Men and Casablanca, for example. So I was thinking, maybe my list will be what I think are remarkable films worth seeing, that are perhaps not on the radar. These are like the side menus to the main banquet, to broaden your palette."

Star 80 (1983, 89% Tomatometer)
    Star 80

Cabaret is the classic work [from director Bob Fosse], but Star 80 I think is really worth visiting, because it wasn't a successful film and it really dealt with a kind of heinous crime. The film itself is brilliantly made, in terms of rhythm and storytelling; if you look at it you'll see that a lot of directors of my era have been influenced by the aesthetic. Bob Fosse's great ability with rhythmic storytelling is very alive in the movie, and what's so intriguing is that it takes a true chapter in the history of Hugh Hefner and the world of Playboy and tells it as a kind of psychological thriller -- but with a whole lot of Fosse-like theatricality. So I think that's a kind of little off-the-radar gem.

War and Peace (1967, 100% Tomatometer)
    War and Peace

One of my great all-time loves in cinema, and I've seen it three times, is Bondarchuk's War and Peace. Not a lot of people may have seen that film. It was made during the Soviet era. I'd be happy to see it again -- it is, however, 12 hours long. It took 10 years to make, and some actors lived and died during the period of making the movie. It's a little bit influenced by being a '60s film, so it's got a bit of a trippy edge to it; it's a little bit abstract. But it has some of the finest examples of Russian acting of that era. I was profoundly affected by the Russian theater and the style of Russian acting. It was shot on cameras and film stock that we simply never have access to. If I'm not mistaken, during the opening credits the camera is in a cosmonaut's space capsule being shot into Earth. It?s probably the biggest crane shot of all time. At first you think, "Well this is going to be tedious," but stay with it and I think you'll find yourself drawn in. And the girl who played Natasha [Lyudmila Savelyeva] is a dead ringer for Audrey Hepburn and she's one of the most luminous stars that ever found herself on the screen.

Medium Cool (1969, 94% Tomatometer)
    Medium Cool

Medium Cool. I'm crazy about that film. To me, there are a lot of great films from that era because I was seeing them in our movie house when I was a kid [Luhrmann's dad ran a theater for a period], but what I love about Medium Cool is that it preempts the idea of taking a real historical event and weaving a drama around it. So that's great about it. Robert Forster is great in that picture. Not to mention -- and I'll be a bit flippant here -- the clothes are fantastic. It's just a great pop cultural picture.

Fitzcarraldo (1982, 82% Tomatometer)
    Fitzcarraldo

I kind of think Fitzcarraldo. Cinephiles know it, but the new generation don?t really know that picture. It's a flawed film but if you watch that and the companion making-of [Burden of Dreams]... there's a great Criterion of it; it's the one with Mick Jagger in it, when he started the film and had to pull out. What I love about this film is that it represents what I love about film making: The film is about a person who has an insane passion for art, to the extent that they drag a boat over a small isthmus to make money, but he's making

18. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Those all sound interesting, particularly the twelve hour War and Peace. 8 1/2 is one of my top ten, though if I had to do top 5, La Dolce Vita would be the Fellini I'd pick.

19. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Glad to see some love for Ray's Apu trilogy. I'm obviously not as familiar with the classics as a number of you all, but I can always earn some film buff credibility by whipping out my love for (or even awareness of) stuff like this trilogy and Kobayahi's Human Condition.

20. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001

Five Favorite Films with Saw's Tobin Bell

by Alex Vo | Friday, Oct. 29 2010

"As the mastermind behind an seemingly endless stream of traps and torture devices known as Jigsaw, Tobin Bell has cemented his legacy as the new milennium's first standout horror icon. Bell's yearly participation as pharisaical serial killer John Kramer (aka Jigsaw) comes to an end with Saw 3D, the final installment of the Saw series and thus reaching a conclusion seven years in the making. We subject Bell to a battery of questions to uncover his Five Favorite Films.

Rudy (1994, 79% Tomatometer)
    Rudy

Let's start with Rudy. It's a football film. It?s about a kid who wants to go to Notre Dame, and he overcomes all obstacles to make that happen. You know, he wants to go to Notre Dame, he wants to play on the Notre Dame football team, but he hasn't got the beef. He overcomes all obstacles and endures, achieves his dream.

It's just really well crafted. I do like films that make you feel something for the characters, and that's unquestionably one. Sean Astin does an amazing job playing Rudy, and there's some other great actors in it, too. So I have appreciated that film and watched it on a number of occasions.

Jeremiah Johnson (1972, 93% Tomatometer)
    Jeremiah Johnson

There is a film called Jeremiah Johnson that was directed by Sydney Pollack with Robert Redford. It's about 1830s mountain men, and I've always been fascinated by those guys who, in the 1830s, when the West was still totally wild ? there were no homesteaders, no settlers ? guys who would go out there and live in the mountains amidst the Indians and carve out a living, catching beaver and muskrat and whatever else they were catching, skinning them and bringing the hides back, so they could be turned into hats for fashionable people in London. There's some really great music in it. I loved the nature and the Rocky Mountains; I think it actually was shot in the early days of the Sundance institute out in the Salt Lake area, although the story has it happening in the Rocky Mountains, probably a little east of there. Montana, Wyoming, that area. So, love that film.

The Firm (1993, 76% Tomatometer)
    The Firm

The Firm, which was a film that I got a chance to be in, and got a chance to work with Sydney [Pollack] and really rub shoulders with Gene Hackman for the first time. Well, actually, I had been with Gene in Mississippi Burning. But I got to work with Gene Hackman and Tom Cruise and Holly Hunter and Gary Busey and Wilford Brimley. But Sydney Pollack had a great career as a director and I always admired his approach to things. Jeanne Tripplehorn was in The Firm also, did a great job as Tom's wife. I love the music in The Firm. Dave Grusin wrote the music. I thought the film was very well put together, and when you take a novel, sometimes the film doesn't match up, and I thought The Firm did match up.

I read the novel and was very impressed with the scary Nordic guy who was sort of shadowing Tom Cruise's character throughout the novel. He was just scary. And then, I'd say it was a year or two years later that my agents got a call from Pollack. I think he knew my work from the Actor's Studio in New York, because Sydney was always very involved with the studio, and I think he was also a fan of Mississippi Burning and had seen that film. That took its own wings, and he just offered the role of the Nordic, and I thought, "Wow, that'd be great." So I got to go to Memphis, Tennessee, the home of rock 'n' roll.

The Devil Wears Prada (2006, 75% Tomatometer)
    The Devil Wears Prada

How about a comedy? The Devil Wears Prada. I love that film. I love Meryl Streep, along with the rest of the world. She's the bad guy in this film, so to watch Meryl play a bad guy with all of the layering and the subtlety, still you love her in the end. It's just wonderful. I love the couple of speeches in there ? Stanley Tucci has a couple of speeches in there, one of which is to Anne Hathaway. Anne comes in to him and tells him, couldn't she be given credit for trying? And he goes off on her about the

21. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Five Favorite Films from Jeff Goldblum:

"From his humble debut as a young punk terrorizing a supermarket in 1974's Death Wish to his classic era of "unorthodox science types" in blockbusters like Jurassic Park and Independence Day, Jeff Goldblum has accumulated an intriguing acting resume across all kinds of genres. Who could forget his miniature but memorable appearance in Annie Hall ("I forgot my mantra") or his off the wall turns in cult movies like Earth Girls Are Easy and The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension, for starters? And then there was The Fly, in which he turned in an heroic performance as a scientist who fuses himself with an insect to horrific, heartbreaking results. This week, Goldblum's back on the big screen in the newsroom comedy Morning Glory, in which he stars alongside Rachel McAdams as the network head of a TV show anchored by Harrison Ford and his old Annie Hall alum, Diane Keaton. All that and he somehow finds the time for his "other" job, tinkling the ivories in his jazz outfit, the Mildred Snitzer Orchestra.

So, what are his five favorite films? "What do I like watching over and over again?" He ponders. "Well certainly The Godfathers when they come on -- you're bewitched and you can't stop watching them. But that's everybody's answer, I'm sure... "

Crimes and Misdemeanors (1989, 92% Tomatometer)

I like Woody Allen. Crime and Misdemeanors I liked a lot. I think it's just wonderful. I also enjoy many of those -- I like Hannah and Her Sisters, and Husbands and Wives; I like Broadway Danny Rose. This morning I was watching Love and Death, with Diane Keaton which I like a lot. But Crimes and Misdemeanors is maybe the best one of those.

Mulholland Dr. (2001, 81% Tomatometer)

Let's see... I like David Lynch. I enjoyed Mulholland Drive. I loved it. I just think he's spectacular -- I'd love to work with him.

A Serious Man (2009, 89% Tomatometer)

The Coen brothers. You know, I liked their last movie, A Serious Man. I thought that was terrific.

Rosemary's Baby (1968, 98% Tomatometer)

Polanski. Rosemary's Baby I keep coming back to, and I like Chinatown a lot. Those aren?t radical choices but I enjoy them. The truth is that I enjoy them a lot, and everybody knows they're wonderful."

The King of Comedy (1983, 92% Tomatometer)
    The King of Comedy

.For funny movies, Scorsese -- you know, I have an affection for The King of Comedy. It's just fun to watch. I like Rupert Pupkin... it's hilarious. I like that it's dark, and how this guy gets to be famous. But I like De Niro's performance; I like Jerry Lewis; I like Sandra Bernhard. I like the Ray Charles song that comes on at the beginning. It's terrific.

22. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
  23. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
  24. Django211

Django211 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 6, 1999
    What a fun list from Crews. He is fantastic in "Everybody Hates Chris". With his size & background you wouldn't think comedy would be his strong suit but he has great timing and knows how to get a laugh. You also wouldn't think he'd be such a sci-fi fan.

25. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001