main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD Five things you need to know about the Transformers Movie

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Grieyls, Jun 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    [EDIT #2]
    I could have just deleted everything and written this, but what I've posted has been what a lot of fans out there have been though themselves...so:

It could actually be a Decepticon that Optimus Prime is in a pursuit with. But Bumblebee is still a Chevy Camaro, which is a sports car. Bumblebee is a little guy, the one who wishes he could but fails often, but we love him anyway as the underdog. A Camaro does not come close to conveying this type of character. VW didn't allow the Beetle to be used in the movie, but maybe a Citroen or a Mini Cooper, or any hatchback could have been used, instead of Chevrolet buying for a character to sell their new Camaro. But that's they way of movies these days... a coke in a hand, an apple computer on their desk, a Nokia in their hand, a Camaro as a good robot... [face_tired]

2. morgan-aleghieri

morgan-aleghieri Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    [face_worried] Poor Bumblebee. He deserves better :(

Bumblebee's soul is being bought for cashy money, and being stuck in a body that does not suit him because the price is right. Hrmph. :rolleyes:

3. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    Yep.

Actually there's some more about Bumblebee...he gets an extreme makeover from a 70's version of the Camaro. Word is the makeover's done by a few humans that Transformers fans know well...

4. Grieyls

Grieyls Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 2, 2000
    Well that doesn't sound too bad :confused:

5. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
  6. Last_Chael

Last_Chael Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2006
    totally unrelated, but did anyone else notice the animated thingy at the top left?

7. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    totally unrelated, but did anyone else notice the animated thingy at the top left?

Aw yeah. He's the man. *Nods*

Hm. I'm with Magnus. Different, but not in a bad way. Kind of cool and more modern/techy rather than the old-school slightly kitsch look of the originals (not that I'm bashing that look either).

8. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Indeed, me like also :D

9. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    Yes, Thulsa Doom vs. Samuel L. Jackson. Now that'd be a messed up cross-over...

10. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Actually, my favourite pic on that page is the very last one, the shot of what seems to be the full-size mock-up, or hell, maybe even robotic moving prop of Bumblebee. Looks DAMN cool.

11. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    Y'see, I am disappointed that everything I have seen so far is nothing like the Gen1 Transformers. Especially Optimus and Bumblebee. They're too hydraulic and stick-insect like in robot form, and lacking in solid-limb and body feel. They could get away with making solid-looking body parts...

A lot of forums are giving the 'Bionicle' or 'Go-bots' feedback. This is meant to be Transformers, and it really is deviating from the orignal spirit of the cartoon.

IMO, of course.

12. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    I have to agree with ya there, Fishbulb.

Those photos do look cool, and the giant bumblebee they have in that pick is real nifty - but it just doesn't feel like the transformers I remember. [face_worried] that's just my oppinion though ;P

13. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    Granted on both counts, but have you guys seen the state of the franchise currently in animation? Nothing like our memories sadly.

Less said about KISS Transformers the better...

So the designs have been updated. While they ain't classic, as long as they've got the character correct. And Hell, it's Prime's voice, that's enough for me at this stage.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

14. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    It's also perhaps relevant to point out that the sheer mechanics of having a highly detailed 3-dimensional vehicle beliveably transform into a giant robot places some restrictions on the design. My understanding is that the effects house(s) (ILM, I think, actually) have gone to considerable effort to make sure the underlying mechanics of the transformation all make physical sense. Now, granted, there's obviously deliberate visual design choices there as well, but at least some of the form has to be dictated by the function.

(Wow, I just realised how accademic that sounded. Sorry, I'm just taking a break from writing up some uni stuff, I'm obviously still in poindexter mode... :p)

15. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    All very good points..

A lot of greats from long ago have indeed been reduced to something not worthy of the memories attributed to it (case in point, the newest transformers of course - when the frack did it become some wanna-be anime? Grr argh)...

It does look good though - I think my mind just needs to adjust to the different portrayal. It is nice to know that they are working on getting the mechanics right.

16. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Honestly, giant transforming robots beating the crap out of each other. What more to it is there? :p

17. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Ermmmm...

well, credits are just words on screen - so why did we tear up for the superman credits? Is there something more to those credits than some blue text flying through space? :eek: huh? HUH? :p

But I guess I can't very easily argue with giant robots smashing each other up... [face_thinking]

18. casual-jedi

casual-jedi Jedi Master star 4

May 6, 2002
    Uh, mood swings maybe???:p

19. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Speak for yourself, I loved those frakin' credits. :p

*Recalls that I do actually get mood swings*

Hmm... :p

20. NeecH

NeecH Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2003
    I'm kinda siding with the Goob on this one as I'm a big G1 fan but I know I'll change my mind once I see those same skeletal looking Transformers actually moving, punching, shooting and throwing each other across the big screen!

21. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    Please people, it was the music. The Superman Theme is majestic.

22. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    I think more than just the music, it was the fact that it was basically the original title sequence. You knew the minute you saw it that this was the classic Superman, something that would come as a major relief to anyone who had been following the intense drama surrounding the production. Magnus can fill you in on all the terrifying details...

But I digress. Neech is right, I can't wait to see these things in action. I've no doubt they'll look freakin' awesome. And fans of the cartoon would do well to remember that despite the different look, many of the original voice actors WILL be reprising their roles, so it won't be entirely divorced from the classic stuff.

23. RoGuE_StreaK

RoGuE_StreaK Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 24, 2005
    I guess one thing to take into account is that the 1st Gen transformers were based around toys, and the toys were inherently limited to how they could transform. You've got a fairly small chunk of plastic (with some metal chucked in in some cases), that needs to be cheap to make, and easy for a kid to transform.

What we have here are full-sized vehicles, that are supposed to be highly complex machines. Though it deviates, I think in all probability it would have actually looked really bad to have a full-sized vehicle transform in the old way. The would end up looking cheap and low-tech, something like an assignment for a 2nd-year engineering student.

24. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    I understand what you're saying, but I can't agree with you on that bit, Rouge Streak. Have a look at this guy's take on Optimus. This was a skilled guy's effort, the video is amazing. It looks like there's tons of metal in there, very solid and more humanoid than the insectoid/hydraulic ones from the movie. Imagine an effects house doing something like that, if the quality from just one guys' work is that good.
    There's some views out there (I agree with to an extent) that you could sympathise for the Autobots because of their facial expression (smiles etc that were in the cartoons), their human-like movement, anything really making you forget they are robots. The pics from the movie really say "robot", and not really alien robots, more like current earth tech robots (unless the story from Gen1 is kept that they're rebuilt in modern tech).

I'll add here that I will probably see this movie a few times, but I would prefer it to be as close to Gen 1 as possible. I'm still not happy about Prime's new look, even if it is (in truck form) like the Gen 2 version.

25. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    That is great. Probelm is, where do Prime's hands come from?

A bit of suspension of disbelief is of course understandable and expected, but the old Gen 1 Autobots and Decepticons often made a mockery of modern mechanical engineering, sprouting stuff where it shouldn't be possible and shrinking and growing depending on the required plot contrivance. While it would be easy to make them at least look like the Gen 1 models of old, it does make the current design scheme understandable

There's some views out there (I agree with to an extent) that you could sympathise for the Autobots because of their facial expression (smiles etc that were in the cartoons), their human-like movement, anything really making you forget they are robots.

Still with hands, the best scene that illustrated that point in Gen 1 was where Optimus was thanking Spike for something and; well it was like patting him I suppose, but when it's a several ton, several storey tall robotic fighting machine patting the squishy human. But it worked, and it conveyed the necessary emotional message. I hope that they can pull off something like that in the film.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.