main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Fives FTW! (Discussion Thread)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Oct 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    It still makes sense in the situation he was put in. If anything, Fives is now more interesting than Echo. That, and he's got a goatee. How awesome is that?! :eek:

2. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Fives was growing his gotee way back in the Citadel Arc. In universe Fives didn't just suddenly get more personality because it serves the purpose of the arc. That's OOU and IMO they did start the fleshing out from the only trait Fives ever had.

3. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    All I'm saying is that the goatee helps. But I agree that Fives always had a personality, though I guess Echo got the spotlight. He was pretty much the Domino Squad's mascot.

4. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    Fives had a goatee in ARC Troopers.

5. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Yeah he did but not quite as thick as he's got now. Really I think Boil beat Fives to it fashion wise. Maybe that's what happened to Boil, at some point he inexplicably killed Fives, tatooed his head, and took his place. =P

6. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Fives is not just another number? Fancy that I already thought he is exactly that:p

7. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    Personally, I think they laid out some groundwork for Fives to become the character he is today, whether intentionally or not. Well, I'm a writer, and I make overanalysis of minor characters a lifestyle, but still. Lemme lay it down. :p

Fives, and to an extent, Echo, received a lot of humanising elements for a clone.

He was in a generation that was beginning to cherish creativity. He had brothers who were distinct from one another, and an unofficial 'mentor' (99) who nurtured that nature. He then got assigned to a battalion lead by an extremely individualistic Jedi, one of those who would treat his troops like family and friends. Add to that his captain, and ARC Training with someone who is effectively his brother, and it does give you quite a bit of stuff to go on.

Besides that, the DEATHS of those close to him makes me think he'd start thinking about his mortality and his place in the universe.
    We have a guy on the Jedi council named after a blunt force weapon. Numbers as names aren't that hard to imagine. [face_laugh]

8. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I like the irony in that Fives sees himself as more than a number. I agree he's been setup to where his current characterization works well. I admit I'm fascinated by Fives and his actions.

I moved this into here. Hope you don't mind SOU.

I'm hoping Fives survives this next episode although it doesn't sound good. One of the first slides on the OS with him in clone P.J.'s looks questionable. But I can think of a few ways out.. some good, some insane, and some I can't believe I'd support. =P

9. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Who? Now I can't remember[face_thinking] - but that name is probably alien origin and not "basic" like Fives so it has nothing to do with this issue...

10. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    [image=http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/f/fc/Mace_Windu.jpg]

11. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    I dunno, I think yodelling can used as a blunt force weapon when necessary.

12. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    You can't punch someone without your fist-o. [face_beatup]

13. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    LOL :oops: Mace was just too obvious- or maybe he is named after the tear gas[face_thinking]

14. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    Fives has grown on me and he is my second favorite clone besides Rex now......funny how a few months ago, I wanted him to die instead of Echo.

Also, he has a kick-ass goatee, how can you not like him!:p

15. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I think Fives has become my favorite character in the series and definitely my favorite clone over Cut, Waxer, and Rex. Not surprising since I created this thread. He's been a compelling character to root for in this arc.

Man I would have loved it if instead of saying he wasn't just another number he would of said - "He wasn't going to be just another number waiting for his turn to die in the war." =D

16. sacharias

sacharias Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 12, 2011
    I still see Fives as a 'waypoint' for Rex's continued development, so while I absolute applaud Five's statements here, he's not going to displace Rex as my top clone anytime soon. He's like Cut, to me anyways. Awesome character, but I think his purpose in the story is to continue to challenge Rex's worldview.

That said, Fives had some awesome lines. He's really starting to see the big picture - not in the same way as Rex, but he's moving beyond the "Krell's an idiot and he's going to get us killed" stage. Now, Fives is challenging the very nature of the clone's duty, and insisting that disobeying orders is sometimes "the right thing to do."

And while I know it's too early to be sure, and I know many will disagree, I really think this latest episode is laying the groundwork for TCW's portrayal of Order 66. There were some visual allusions (Appo confronting Rex in what looked like a scene right out of ROTS), but this line really hit it: "I can't just 'follow orders' when I know they're wrong! Especially when lives are at stake."

I'm betting that Rex will remember that statement one day.

17. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I think Fives is more than just Cut 2.0 after this last episode. There's more to Fives than that. Yes there is a similar philosophy, kinda a similar history, and they've developed their humanity to a similar level.

But on the other hand Fives is somewhat darker and more complex in my opinion. I love Cut Lawquane make no mistake. That's the kinda of guy who wake up every dawn and appreciates the beauty of whatever sun rises over Saleucami. To him each day is a gift and everything around him is so much more precious than what most humans like me take for granted. Still its difficult to look up to a Deserter.

Fives is a deeper and darker character than Cut is. He really is a big picture guy. He sees things so much, deeper, with so many shades of gray. But he also sees the straight line for how to get from point A to point B and he'll get there come hell or high water. That's a hero in the making. The kind of character thats over the top fun to root for. Although him and Anakin have never shared an episode its clear to see how Anakin has effected him which is pretty cool. As well as how being an a lone arc trooper has changed him.

Five is definately acting as a gravity assist for Rex this arc but there is alot of potential in where this character can go on his own if he can survive the next episode and get more screen time in the future. I have renewed confidence he will get through this. I think the old wondercon trailer screwed up that actually.

Rex generally still sits at a comfy #4 down from, #3 with Fives, Waxer, and Cut infront of him. My top 5 character list is dominated by clones, lol.

Pretty funny since when I started watching the show I didn't care about them at all.

18. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    I don't mind, but the beginning of Wonder Con trailer and the clip of him saying "Some day this war is going to end" has him in his armor. I think Krell would of had them stripped immediately into civilian type clothes, so I see those scenes after he was supposed to be executed. Obviously it doesn't happen.

Though that doesn't mean he isn't killed.

19. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    Heh, I remember when I first saw Rookies, Fives was the only one I really gave a damn about. :p

20. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    It is completely possible that line dialogue does not occur with the image we see just like -- "Great its gonna be another one of those planets" -- from "Mercy Mission". I think the bigger mistake is where ever the screen shot of the clones coming down the lift with the shields came from, the one some people theorize Krell is captured in. Fives and Jesse are in full armor there. Where does that happen at? Further more there are more battle scenes from the first extended trailer that have not been scene yet from this arc so there is also another battle coming up so you gotta wonder how this will all spread over this episode.

21. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Double post... sorry. But I gotta say it. Fives lives to see another arc. He finally got the development he needed and has become a powerful character. I wonder where he'll go from here, hope he'll stay Rex's buddy in the future.

22. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    Absolutely, Seerow. Fives for the win indeed. :D

I REALLY LOVE Fives' relationship with Rex. Reminds me not just of Garrus and Shepard, but also a bit of (to all you Call of Duty Modern Warfare nerds XD) Soap and Captain Price. Student and mentor. And I love where he stands now. It's a mix of genuine confidence and skill, mixed with some residual insecurity, held together with absolute trust and respect.

Darkness on Umbara, Fives breaks out on his own, but still loves working with Rex, and knows the man well enough to try and confide in him.
    The General, Rex shows he trusts Fives enough and hopes he could help him keep the troops together.
    Plan of Dissent, Fives and Rex have their big debate, but end on a note where Fives is desperate to maintain both his own identity and his bond with Rex. When Rex sees Fives take off, he's not sure if he should be proud or horrified.
    Carnage of Krell, even on the edge of a firing squad, Fives squares things off with Rex and basically tells him "No hard feelings, mate".

As far as clones go, it rather makes me think of a father and son bond. With guns. XD

23. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I get the father and son vibe from them a bit myself and I know that's a little weird. Maybe because Rex put his hand on Five and Echo when he decided to take them into the 501st. He saw some spark he liked in them and decided to train it. Yeah Fives and Rex have an interesting bond.

24. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    FIVES RULES!!

25. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I agree. All of Domino were awesome...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.