main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Fives FTW! (Discussion Thread)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Oct 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Who else was part of Domino apart from Fives, Echo and Hevy, i forget actually

2. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
  3. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I am Separatist fan and I know:

Droidbait and Cutup.

4. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    oh right, not so popular those 2 are :p

5. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Well, how could one character be after being killed off right away.

:p

6. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    lol yea

7. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    No Fives for season Five, huh? =(

8. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Which sucks

Seerow likes this.
  9. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    Cutup was a great character. Watching Rookies after Clone Cadets makes his demise so much more meaningful. Like Bric says in the latter episode, he can indeed count on being "out of [the Grand] Army".

For Fives being pushed back to S6, the Young Jedi arc is technically at fault, but it's easier to blame The Idiocy of WAC-47 for this. ;)

It's a shame. Fives would have made a spectacular finale for Season Five. However, I recall Seerow mentioning that Matt Michnovetz was tipped to handle the script for Fives' return. After Umbara and the Citadel, I can't imagine anyone else doing this so well, so I expect something good.

You're not the only one who gets that vibe. It resembles a strong relationship between father and son, with their bond strengthening so that they see each other as equals and peers in later life. In ARC Troopers, you can see that Fives really wants Rex's approval. In Darkness On Umbara, their exchange at the start and their brief reminiscence on "old times" indicates a slightly more brotherly relationship. All throughout the Umbara arc, Rex's confiding in Fives can be read like that. However, when Fives threatens to countermand Krell's orders with the ambitious starfighter infiltration scheme, some degree of distance between the two re-emerges and they're back to being like father and son to an extent. That also ties into Rex's covering for Fives and his attempts to protect him from Krell's wrath, which could be read as parental.

There are two elements to this. Firstly, the trope of a commanding officer being a "father to his men" is a common one. U.S. General George S. Patton was often described as this. For all his exacting demands and ruthlessness, he was considered very highly by his men. Even Arthur Wellesley, the Duke of Wellington and UK military hero of the Napoleonic Wars, had a similar relationship with his men according to the contemporary views on fatherhood. With Rex, it's a lot like that, only the second element is the military being his whole life and the 501st Legion his family. With Echo and Fives in particular, he has personally invested a lot in them. They were inducted by him and effectively promoted to the special forces by him.

You know you're really into TCW when you start seeing aspects of the series in Pixar films. When I watched Brave, my first thought upon seeing some of the scenes between the main character and her mother was that they had a real Fives/Rex vibe in them. I recall the discussion of Fives' allegedly Scottish accent when the Umbara episodes aired last year, so perhaps that's fitting. :p

10. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Hmm... I think the point where I realized I was really into TCW (amoung many) was when I broke down over Waxer's death and had to excuse myself to the restroom. The guy who watched it with me never called again. <<; True story.

I tend to hear more of an Scottish accent in Echo than in Fives, I think. I dunno. Most of the time lately when I hear accents like that lately they are just yelling at me on the phone, so... I need to watch Brave. Rex is somewhat like a gentler version of Patton.

Captain Rex sees his men very high on his priority list however its really Echo and Fives who I think he sees/ saw as his kids. The men he put his own hand on. I still think they are the kids he was talking about in "The Deserter". In my mind "The Deserter" comes after "ARC Troopers" and I feel Darkness reinforces this with Fives and Hardcase seemingly meeting for the first time. They are the family Rex was going back to in a sense. His men and his two favorite men.

In a sense Fives does alot of what he does specifically the protect his brothers and inwardly none more than Rex in Umbara and he also seems hurt when Rex is disappointed. Fives won't stand for Rex taking any blame in the dissension to go blow up the Separatist ship that's up in orbit. Fives is pretty much always beside Rex in the Umbara arc. Its also interesting he almost never called Rex "Captain" or "Sir" in that arc which is quite a contrast to Rookies. Fives was on nickname basis. He also touched and even grabbed the captain which I think would get a typical clone slapped. He was definitely getting special treatment and I'd argue favoritism from Rex.

QuangoFett likes this.
  11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    [​IMG]

High Fives!

Seerow and QuangoFett like this.
  12. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    Fives is a strong man who will crush his opponents. He will be powerful like Stalin and will not tolerate people who are bad. If you do not vote for him, he will take power. If you vote for him, your family will have very good years, but if you do not vote for him, you will be sorry.

Seerow likes this.
  13. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Getting a high Five from the real Fives would probably break my arm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.