main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD Fixing the Prefixes

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Jan 2, 2018.

1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    As many of you know, with the board update, we finally have the ability to add multiple prefixes to each thread (we told you this would happen… eventually). Back in 2014, it was decided that multi-prefixes would be the best way to deal with the Disney VS Legends divide (info here). Unfortunately, because the update took so long, we had to come up with a fix in light of the new movies (info here) however now we have a plan to make things make a little more sense (… hopefully).

Note: D-Canon refers to Disney-Canon which includes everything LFL considered G-Canon (Episodes I-VI), the 2008 The Clone Wars movie and TV series before the buy-out, in addition to everything created by Disney.

Step 1 will be converting EVERYTHING back to their base Before/Saga/Beyond prefixes. We can batch change thread prefixes. We know many older fics won’t get re-prefixed (and re-prefixing thousands of pre-2014 stories individually with an additional assumed "Legends" prefix isn’t feasible) but we still want people to have some sort of sense of where a story would belong.

Step 2 will be adding individual “Legends” “D-Canon” “PT” “OT” and “ST” prefixes in addition to the existing Before/Saga/Beyond. So, for example, a story about Darth Revan would be prefixed as “Before” and “Legends” and a story about Mara Jade as the main focus in The Last Jedi would be prefixed as “Saga”, “ST”, “D-Canon”, “Beyond”, and “Legends”.

Step 3 will be (obviously) re-vamping the posts in the Fanfic FAQ and Welcome New Users threads regarding the new system. And then letting everyone who is still around re-prefix their older stories, and then going forward with the new system.

We know this isn’t a complete confusion-free plan. While we now can require threads to have at least one prefix (something we will turn on), we can’t pick options for required prefixes. So we might very well get newbies prefixing stories as simply something like “D-Canon”. We will try to encourage the use of at least the core Before/Saga/Beyond, just to save some headache for our index-creating users, but with the changes to the Awards category system, having a strict Before/Saga/Beyond system is no longer critical. Plus we now have tags (YAAAAY!! More info here) to help further let readers know when a story is placed.

Keep in mind that this might take a few weeks to implement. We know users currently can’t edit their own their own thread titles and we are working on other projects as well. We just wanted to let everyone know what the plan is.

[​IMG]

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Bri and Mav

2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    He card-read good! =D==D==D=

I mean, I have a spell of insomnia out of nowhere, but I get it. This is awesome. :) And the great categorisation confusion of '17 (it hurts to write the full number, so I'm leaving it like this) will never ever ever occur again. YESSSS! [face_dancing]

Ask 'em tech admins about horizontal rules whenever you get the chance.

Master_Lok and Findswoman like this.
  3. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    =D= =D= =D=

I'm saying it again, I love the upgraded boards!

A few comments from me:

1. Mashup prefix: With the new software we can still only filter threads using one prefix at a time (right?). I therefore think we should have a "Canon/Legends Mashup" prefix in addition to the individual "Canon" and "Legends" prefixes, so as to avoid a situation where you filter fics by one continuity and have to wade through the list to find those that are also labelled with the other.

2. Limit on the number of prefixes: Maybe we want to avoid a situation where each thread is labelled with half-a-dozen prefixes, since that could make the fic list a bit cumbersome? We also have the new tagging system to refine our search anyway. I think that a max of three prefixes per thread would work well, meaning one for the continuity and up to two for the era (e.g. the Mara in TLJ example above would be covered by Mashup + ST + Beyond instead of having 5 prefixes).

3. Multi-era prefix: This would be again to avoid a situation where you need a whole line of the thread title for prefixes. I don't think that there are many stories that would need this even under a three-prefix limit (I mean, we already have "Saga" for stories that span more than one trilogy) but for those few stories that extend from Before to Beyond this could be useful.

4. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    We've decided to leave this off as it isn't that common and can be covered by a tag as opposed to a prefix as it is more of a genre rather than an era.

I just looked and we can put a limit on number of prefixes, so Mav and I will discuss what is reasonable.

Mav and I have gone back and forth on a multi-era. The prefixes are already quite broad and the few stories that would need it could just use the 3 broad before/saga/beyond so that their story which is set in all 3 eras show up when people search for each era.

Edit. And now I'm confusing a bunch of conversations Mav and I have had over the past week(there's been too many). We are open to the idea of a multi era prefix. Tagging @Chyntuck so you see this late edit.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Findswoman and Chyntuck like this.
  5. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    @Briannakin I'll get back to you with numbers after I'm done with the 2017 index, but my impression is that there are quite a few mashup fics out there (although this impression may just stem from the fact that it's such a pain in the backside to decide how to index them :p ) Multi-era is obviously limited to just a handful of stories and it only makes sense if there's a limit on the number of tags.

Findswoman likes this.
  6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    So, as an example, for my DDC which takes places half in the OT and half post ROTJ, the main prefix would be Saga -- the part during the OT fits with the Disney canon and the part afterwards sorta mashes ST with Legends in that Legends characters show up. Yikes. [face_laugh] I too think 3 and no more than 4 prefixes would be enough and the rest of the specificity can come through tags. [face_thinking]

Findswoman likes this.
  7. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Okay, Mav and I have discussed it and we have decided we will add a "Mash up" and "Multi-era" prefixes. However any headaches this may cause for indexing or awards is out of our hands.

There will also be a limit of 5 prefixes per thread.

Chyntuck, jcgoble3 and Findswoman like this.
  8. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    If we don't lose the existing prefixes, I think most of my efforts can be covered fine by the five Saga tags, eg. Saga ST, rather than having to resort to multiples.

I do like a 'multi-era' tag though.

9. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Ooh, I will have to give the prefixes a whirl.

I did notice something though: when i paste my new content it doesn't copy cleanly and by that I mean I will have two spaces between paragraphs instead of one. Is there a way for me to fix that besides manually removing them or setting my word doc to a different setting?

10. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Try copying into the plain text setting, rather than the rich text one.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  11. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    So what happened to this?

Tarsier likes this.
  12. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I'm not sure, but this week isn't going to be the best week to address such issues.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  13. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Bumping again. Is this still in the works?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  14. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
  15. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Whoops. This is why two procrastinators shouldn't be put in charge. We'll take a look at this and see if this course of action still makes sense.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  16. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

EDIT: And thanks for looking back into it, of course.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  17. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010