main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hi Flabbergasted: EU not canon?

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by TheSarlacc, May 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSarlacc

TheSarlacc Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2014
    Hi

I just joined this forum to see if people react like me to the news that Disney will disregard everything that has happened in the Star Wars universe after Return of the Jedi.
    I've been reading the novels for decades. Most of my life, in fact. I will not just forget Thrawn, Jaina, Jacen, Anakin Solo, Ben Skywalker, the Yuuzhan Vong war etc, etc; everything that has happened in the carefully orchestrated timeline that is EU.

I will not watch the new movies. Ever.
    I will refuse to acknowledge their relevance as Star Wars and I will curse Disney for doing this.
    There are so many amazing storylines to choose from that would make great movies, and they disregard all of it. So, I disregard Disney.

Chantiemi likes this.
  2. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    When the news first hit I was pretty upset. Yet, I expected it to happen. However, for me labels don't matter. I choose what I like I don't let a corporation dictate. I will also likely disregard the Mouse's content. I tire of the very forced b/w views of a grey saga all together. I hope you still enjoy the parts of EU that spoke to you. :)

TheSarlacc and Chantiemi like this.
  3. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I am an EU fan, but I am going to see the movie. If it is as bad as the PT I will probably wait for the other movies to come out on Netflix.

4. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Well, I can see where you're coming from, but to me, not all the EU was infallible. Some of it was pretty silly, though I'm yet to see if the ST will truly be worthy of dethroning those decades of work. Without George in command, I have my own reasons to be skeptical as well, but I definitely plan to see the films, if only out of curiosity.

TheSarlacc likes this.
  5. TheSarlacc

May 19, 2014
    No, I totally agree, it's not infallible and some of it was silly. Even moronic at times.
    But the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. And there are gems of self-contained story lines that would have made great movies (Thrawn trilogy, for example)
    I don't know, I'm just very, very disappointed. I feel betrayed. But I'm a grown man, I guess I have to get over it ;-)

SlashMan likes this.
  6. Darth Ardyti

Darth Ardyti Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 1, 2014
    Two thoughts on this:

One, wasn't the EU pretty much on shaky ground canon-wise all along? I seem to remember (wish I could remember where) reading that all the EU stuff was basically canon until it wasn't anymore. If George wanted to tell a story that conflicted with a novel, then that was what would happen, and the novel would then be considered non-canon afterward.

Two, technically it's possible for Disney to reverse this decision. There are a lot of fans of these stories, and a post-Abrams director could decide to use one of them at a later date. :)

Either way, welcome to the boards!

Gemma and TheSarlacc like this.
  7. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    No, it was not always shaky. It was sold as the official continuation in the early days so yeah it is a betrayal. But I say love what you love the Mouse shouldn't rob you of that but I do understand it can hurt what Mouse is doing.

8. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    This talk of betrayal. Ridiculous.

Enjoy SW for what it is, or don't. Your choice. You guys make yourselves crazy.

9. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    It's a combination of perception and choice.

10. TheSarlacc

May 19, 2014
    Good points, and thank you :)

11. TheSarlacc

May 19, 2014
    Yeah, allright, too strong word :)

12. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    I assume when you said you're a grown man, you may be around my age? Saw the original movies in the theaters? Were mid/late teens or early 20's when the first EU (Thrawn Trilogy) book stores? Mid to late 20's for the PT?

If so, you have already lived though the PT backing right over much of the EU's established back stories regarding the Clone Wars and more.

Reality is the movies have always taken precedence over the EU. The good news is that moving forward all new material sits on the same level. So hopefully there will be more cohesion, and less ret-conning needed.

How we view this, is up to us. We can wallow in anger at the House of the Mouse. Or look forward to new Star Wars!

TheSarlacc and Darth Darkstarr like this.
  13. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I just want to applaud the OP for his use of the word "flabbergasted."

TheSarlacc and Falconer13 like this.
  14. Darth Ardyti

Darth Ardyti Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 1, 2014

Okay, then. Like I said, I couldn't remember exactly where I had come across that, so it's actually possible that it was just something I had heard over the years with no official standing.

TheSarlacc likes this.
  15. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    The tone did shift pretty quickly I'm not surprised many think it was 'always' so. No worries. :)

Darth Darkstarr likes this.
  16. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Hey, guys, this discussion is more suited for the Literature forum (where one is, in fact, taking place), so I"m going to lock this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.