main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Flag burning should be unconstitutional!

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Coolguy4522, Jul 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sleazo

sleazo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2001
    F the draft and burn the flag, cop a bag. Red and white, blue swede shoes, im uncle sam how do you do.

The united states blues.

name the song

2. ferelwookie

ferelwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 4, 2001
    They oughta outlaw them there grapes! They make them grocery floors too slipery-like!

3. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    Pigfeet, have you ever been delayed in traffic due to a dangerous mob waving flaming flags through the air?

If you have...then smile....you got us.

I seriously doubt you have. The example of "Yeah, but what if one of them lights a flag, then starts beating on my car and catches it on fire?", is pretty thin.

You are reaching on this one, don't you think? What are the odds of this happening?

I'm no psychologist...but based on the content of your posts...your overall attitude denotes anger, and frustration. You have repeatedly stated that you would react violently to most of these situations. It's like you're the tough guy who thinks he has to keep making sure everyone knows how tough he is.

Until your car is set on fire by a burning flag, or you find evidence that this has ever happened in the history of the world...you'll have to do better to convince everyone here that flag burning is serious threat to peace and order.

You also don't have to keep reminding us of your violent tendencies. We know.

Peace

4. ferelwookie

Oct 4, 2001
    [Group-hug] [face_love]

Maybe not. [face_plain]

5. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    beans should be illegal because someone could try to light a fart and end up catching my car on fire

6. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    Or if someone throws a cigarette out of a car-oh wait-that's littering.

If someone is blocking traffic, that's one thing.

BUT...DarthPigFeet, suppose I am on MY property, on MY time, burning a flag. How does THAT scenario hurt you?

7. Devilanse

May 11, 2002
    It doesn't.

8. Darth_SnowDog

Darth_SnowDog Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2001
    Sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie but I'd never eat the filthy !$@(!&!(!@$.

Flag burning is not hazardous to my health... unless someone first sticks the flag in my throat, and then sets it on fire.

That would probably hurt.

9. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    You know, as much as I've disagreed with DarthPigFeet in this thread, we really shouldn't keep upping this thread like this until he responds. It's not really furthering the discussion and is only likely to infuriate him when or of he does finally respond.

Judging by his lack of response for the last few days (while still responding to other threads), I'd say that he's probably let the subject go. Why don't we do so as well?

Kimball Kinnison

10. ferelwookie

Oct 4, 2001
    Since when did this become the "Darthpigfeet" thread?

Up it all you want folks! Freedom of speech! :D

11. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I don't think so.

Is there anything productive left to say here?

12. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    Flag burning is not hazardous to my health... unless someone first sticks the flag in my throat, and then sets it on fire.

That would probably hurt.

[face_laugh]

13. ferelwookie

Oct 4, 2001
    "I don't think so."

So, down with Freedom of speech?

This place is sucking more day by day. :(

14. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Well, for starters, there's no such thing as free speech on a private board.

However, my "I don't think so" was referring to your saying to people to just up this thread basically at will. It's not okay to do that, and I'm looking around for anything productive to this thread now, and I can't seem to find much.

15. Devilanse

May 11, 2002
    Perhaps Pigfeet has indeed finally given up on this thread. I could PM him and ask. Its a shame, though....this was probably the most interesting thread I had seen in quite awhile.

16. KaineDamo

KaineDamo Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 6, 2002
    The last few pages are nothing but people telling poor Pigfeet how wrong he is. Kinda funny really.

17. womberty

womberty Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2002
    How about a little more real discussion? :D

The way I see it, the only way the government could declare flag burning illegal is to declare the flag to be the property of the government. I think some nations have done this, probably to prevent the abuse of their flag.

The downside to this is if the government owns the flag, you can't own one - or at least, you can't display one without the government's permission. That means you can't buy a flag for the 4th of July. You don't get to hang the flag outside your door. You don't get to wear the flag on your T-shirt. You don't get to put the flag on your car. Your children don't get to draw pictures of the flag in school, because those would be unauthorized reproductions.

Either everyone gets to do what they want with the flag, or no one does. Which would you prefer?

18. Devilanse

May 11, 2002
    Does that mean you agree with Pigfeet's stance, KaineDamo?

19. ferelwookie

Oct 4, 2001
    [Draws an American flag on a piece of paper.

Flushes it down toliet.]

Somebody call the thoughtpolice!

20. KaineDamo

Mar 6, 2002
    Maybe if ya read through the thread... maybe if you read my opinions on any American-related topic you would know my opinion.

EDIT: Just read your post down below. I'm sorry, i didn't mean to be a meany. No, i don't agree with Pigfeet. I think the whole thing is rediculous, imperialistic and facsist. I'm not trying to be a smartass, my patience has been lost in other threads and i took it out on ya.

21. Devilanse

May 11, 2002
    Maybe if you had just answered plainly, maybe if you hadn't tried to be a smart aleck.

I honestly don't care about your opinion, now.

22. KaineDamo

Mar 6, 2002
    Read above :)

23. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Last chance. Either this goes the way of Womberty's request for more real discussion, or this gets locked.

Edit: Sorry about that, Womberty :).

24. womberty

womberty Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2002
    Why can't anyone spell my name right?? :_|

Okay, sorry. Back to my last question. Anybody here want to see the government regulating your use of the flag?

Edit: That's okay, KnightWriter. It happens to everyone, apparently. :p

25. bedada3

bedada3 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 9, 2002
    To me, people coming together for flag-burning demonstrations suggests that the gov't has dictated that flag-burning is a crime, not the opposite.

When the gov't outlaws flag-burning in the US (I can imagine it happening), then flag-burning will become more popular.

It's almost a psychological law: people are attracted to taboos and crimes. If it's socially acceptable or legal, it won't draw much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.