main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Flash! Ah-ahhh!

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Siths_Revenge, Dec 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    Wasn't Flash Gordon an awesome movie? Music by Queen! Sam Jones was actually cool in this fun, comic booky film. Too bad it never got a sequel.

2. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    GORDONS ALIVE?

3. mikadojedi

mikadojedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 25, 2003
    This has been one of my favorite movies since I first saw it in Florida. I was 7 years old. The football scene on Mongo had me in stitches. And Ming's line "Are you sure your men are on the right pills? Maybe you should execute their trainer." is prescious.
    So many great lines.
    Now I realize it is the one of the greatest 'bad' movies of all time. The cast seems to have so much fun. And with corny dialog like "Baron! Let's team up and fight Ming." With the exception of "The Execution Of Flash" Chapter 3 on the DVD. I would almost believe that this was meant as a comedy.
    And the rendition of Wagner's Wedding March, played on Guitar, is so stunningly brilliant. It is by far the most delightfull movie I have ever, and might ever see. That and ID4 that is.

4. StarscreamPrime

StarscreamPrime Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2006
    I totally agree with Mikadojedi. This may well be one of the, if not THE, best "Bad" movie ever made. The dialogue is classically hammy, the action's completely over the top, and that Queen score... Oh man, that theme ALWAYS gets me so pumped!

5. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Ming the Merciless scores surprisingly well on the "If I Were an Evil Overlord" list:

He actually heeded the advice of his trusted lieutenant.

-"Please Father, can I have him?"
    -"No."

His dungeons were in fact cheery-looking and brightly lit.

His minions did not dress like Nazis or Mongols.

-"It's the Emperor's flagship."
    -"Has it broadcasted the proper approach codes?"
    -"No."
    -"OPEN FIRE!!! ALL WEAPONS!!!!"

Even when he dressed in all black, his clothes were shiny, instead of dark & drab.

When Flash was captured, he had him executed. Pretty much right away.

Ming never let himself be alone with Flash. There were always well-armed minions nearby.

Granted, no Evil Overlord follows the list perfectly, but like I said, Ming does quite well.

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    [face_laugh] Good points.

7. JediPrettyBoy

JediPrettyBoy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2005
    Actually, as cheesy as the movie is, it actually has some good lines, and was pretty well cast.

The movie aside, choosing Max Von Sydow as Ming the Merciless was like choosing Christopher Reeve for Superman. It was basically a perfect choice. In many ways, he saves the movie because I truly believe that he is pure evil. I always loved his temptation scene with Flash in the Hawkmen's castle. The dialogue was pretty well written in that scene, and Sydow's acting was pretty impressive. It even seem to bring out Sam Jones' better delivery.

When Flash asks him if everyone on earth would be saved, I love the way Ming says, "Yes, and no." He then goes to talk about how humans will be more agreeable after all of the natural disasters. For some reason, that is my favorite scene in the whole film.

8. JediPrettyBoy

JediPrettyBoy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2005
    This is one of those movies that you can find on some cheap DVD, but it's one of those movies that I wished would release a special edition of some sort. THE LEGEND OF THE LONE RANGER has been treated this way as well.

If KRULL gets a decent DVD release, then why can't we get a decent FLASH GORDON DVD release.

9. mikadojedi

mikadojedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 25, 2003
    A fellow Legend of the Lone Ranger on DVD hoper. It's great to meet you JPB.
    Sadly Flash is out of print on DVD right now. But a Special Edition w/ interviews of Peter Wygarde, Brian Blessed, Timothy Dalton, Deep Roy, Melody Anderson, and Mariana Marangelo(i know i am misspelling that badly). Would be so awesome.

10. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    Timothy Dalton was excellent in this movie. The rest of it kinda sucked.

11. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    [image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/56/Ornella_Mutti%28cannesPhotoCall%29.jpg]
    Princess Aura is still hawt!

12. whatisthybidding

whatisthybidding Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 9, 2006
    You gotta love a guy who watches and eats fruit as his Dr. Doom minion and dominatrix security lady whip his hot daughter, while she's dressed in pink spandex and being bound by golden robot hands!

"Bring me the bore worms.."

Best. Scene. Ever.

13. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    Maybe I would have liked this film better if they had dropped all the pretense and pushed the envelope of that "R" rating. A little nudity wouldn't have hurt. ;)

14. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    Wasn't there supposed to be some 2 disc DVD set of this movie out last year? The DVD of this movie isn't even anamorphic.

15. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Good lord this movie is awesome. :D I've gotta find it now that I'm thinking of it more.

Awesome thread.

Ming was pretty intelligent, yeah. A welcome change.

16. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] :_| [face_laugh] I've never heard it put quite like that!

17. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I always chuckle at the way Flash intorduces himself to Ming.

"Flash Gordon, quarterback, New York Jets."

I don't think there is a boring moment in this whole movie and it is as quotable as Big Trouble In Little China. As nobody else could have played Ming then nobody else could have played Klytus. I forget the actos name that played him but he was cool. This is one of those movies that is not remembered for great acting, but I think the actors were very charismatic in their roles.

This film is loaded with sexual overtones aside form the obvious ones. The name Klytus is a step away from Clitoris, "I love initiations" Arua says in what is essentially a cirlce-jerk scene in the Aborean temple, when Flash brings the ship in that stabs Ming in the back it is a tube going into a hole right before he hits Ming, the rocket that Dr. Zarkoff kidnaps Flash and Dale in look slike a giant dildo, etc etc.

Get your girlfriend to dress up in a Slave Leia outfit? How about dressed in some silver, revealing little bit of strings with a midget in tow? Yeah, Princess Aura was sexah.

And what a way for a villain to go out; spaceship with a pointy end to the back. Ouch!

And like everyone I think the soundtrack is incredible. It is especially well placed during the hawkmen attack on the Imperial ship in the clouds.

Flash - a-ah - saviour of the universe
    Flash - a-ah - he'll save everyone of us
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
    Flash - a-ah - he's a miracle
    Flash - a-ah - king of the impossible

He's for everyone of us
    Stand for everyone of us
    He'll save with a mighty hand
    Every man every woman
    Every child - with a mighty flash

Flash - a-ah
    Flash - a-ah - he'll save everyone of us

Just a man
    With a man's courage
    He knows nothing but a man
    But he can never fail
    No one but the pure in heart
    May find the golden grail
    Oh oh - oh oh
    Flash

18. whatisthybidding

whatisthybidding Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 9, 2006
    Klytus was so cool, and gave us the best death of the film!

19. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    I'd buy that for a $!

20. StarscreamPrime

StarscreamPrime Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2006
    As far as I've checked on, there WAS a 2-Disc edition of "Flash" made, BUT it was only UK-exclusive.

21. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    "...what is essentially a cirlce-jerk scene in the Aborean temple,"
    QFT. Listen to that scene audio-only :eek: And what was the first thing that Prince Baron said to Aura after that scene: "You came!" o_O

22. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    And what was the first thing that Prince Baron said to Aura after that scene: "You came!"

Oh good friggin call. Gold Star for you. One of these days I'm going to have to buy the movie just to sit down and watch to list all of the overatures like that.

23. SpreadtheMuse

SpreadtheMuse Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2006
    I always thought Flash made a selfish choice when he said "No," to sparing Earth, when it would have been far more safe to say "yes" go back to be king of Earth, all the while raising an army to get Ming. The Earth people would step up to the challenge, far preferrable than having Flash sentence them to an honorable death.

24. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Ah, but though Ming said he was going to call off the attack he still said that after all the disasters they would be easier to rule over. He may not have been able to raise an army, and the damage done to humanity could have been permanent.

25. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    A very brief logo teaser TV spot aired during the SG-1 finale last night. Basicly just said "THIS SUMMER. A HERO." (might have said "LEGEND" here instead, I forget) "WILL BE REBORN."

But, most noteworthy, is that it used the original theme, or at the very last a very close creation of the original theme. (being so short, it only included the thumping bass build up, a "Flash! ah-ahh!" and the guitar riff). Gave an August 10th debut date as well.

Don't see the teaser up online yte, but SciFi's got an early gallery of images up now though: http://www.scifi.com/flashgordon/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.