main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Evan, IN Flash Gordon Was A Steamin Pile Of Bantha Poo - Let's Bash Flash!

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Ulkesh2, Aug 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ulkesh2

Ulkesh2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    Sci-Fi Channel has a personality disorder (don't we all). It sometimes gives us sweet brilliance (such as Farscape - and the new version of Battlestar Galactica - and SFC's version of Dune and Children Of Dune). Other times it gives us really rotten television (FrankenFish - Mansquito - Tremors - Eureka - Stargate). Now we have SFC's version of Flash Gordon. I really had hopes when I heard that the new FG would be like a cross between Farscape and Raiders Of The Lost Ark. That it would not be the campy 1980 movie. That it would be a swashbuckling romp over the wonderful world of Mongo. Instead SFC delivered a sappy and lifeless 'dramedy' turd. Movies-Of-The-Week on Lifetime Channel are more interesting than the new FG. The producer of the new FG came from shows like Charmed - so I guess I should not have been surprised by how dull it was. Now I wish that SFC had opted to do a direct sequel to the campy 1980 movie. That at least would be for a good laugh. Instead the new FG is a wasted opportunity. The real bite however is that SFC might have passed on Caprica (BG's proposed prequel) for this FG nonsense. Hopefully they will reconsider and pull the plug on the new FG and reallocate funds toward Caprica, Robin Stanley's Red Mars, Tin Man, The Two Georges, and etc. Better yet would someone please hire REAL sci-fi fanatics to run the SFC! When I say real sci-fi fanatics I mean people who read and write sci-fi on a professional level. Don't be hiring soap opera producers with only a passing fancy for sci-fi to be running a channel dedicated to sci-fi. Geez that was a run-on sentence from the 666th level of Hades. But I said my mind. Yes SFC has given us a few winners, but few and far between. Final verdict on the new Flash Gordon is...

YIKES !!! Kill it! Kill it!

2. navarre1095

navarre1095 Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2005
    It was obviously written for Lifetime and not SciFi. I worked for WMIX FM94 for awhile, the owner HATED rock-n-roll. Our playlist was total crap. Occasionally the owner would call, "what was that song you just played? Scratch it." And you were required to take a sharp object and wreck that side of the '45. These are obviously the same type that run the SciFi channel. Either that or they are like the dude that wears a dirty bathrobe over his shorts and thinks he has a serious Jedi costume. I was offended by this unimaginative buttloaf. Buster is rolling in his grave right now.

3. Edric-The-White

Edric-The-White Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 5, 2005
    As I said in the other thread, it will not win a Hugo or Saturn. But, let the ten year old within out for a bit and it might be fun.

I recently rediscovered the 1980 version. I remember seeing it as a nine year old and not liking it because it was not Star Wars. Now, however, it was not as bad as I thought it was then.

I enjoyed it. Plus, Queen is a neat band.

Peace,
    Edric

4. navarre1095

navarre1095 Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2005
    Sam J. Jones is Flash forever!

5. yoda_pimp

yoda_pimp Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 18, 2002
    Amen brother!!!!!

6. Edric-The-White

Apr 5, 2005
    Sam J Jones was good in that.

Hmmm....Stargate Rotten Television. Let us see, on the air for ten years, spawned a sequel now going into season 4, and created a moderately sized yet passionate fanbase. I guess that makes it rotten television......ON BIZZARRO WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!

:) Edric

7. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    Bears Beats Stargate

My problem with the Stargate franchise is that it is too mainstream friendly. Too watered down and Trek-like. You know a production from the Land of the Bland. Farscape was more my style. It was nicely subversive on a social-political level and really went beyond the boring ol' human factor. It rarely suffered from a fit of Trek-like technobabble. Not so with Stargate. I'm afraid Stargate was aimed at the average sit-com watching crowd. The kind of people who would watch American Idol, Survivor, Big Brother, Wife Swap, Dancing With The Stars, and every game show ever 'cast over the airwaves. People who think reading means picking up what is on Oprah's list. Not to belittle suburban America and Soccer Moms, but deliciously dire depth is lost on such people. Stargate is a big been there and done that. Sci-fi was meant to push beyond the comforting. To not be stuck in the status quo. Stargate thrives on macho dialogue and tiresome middle-class platitudes. Sci-fi is NOT escapism (that would be the genre of Fantasy) folks. Sci-fi is about facing change and conflict and consequences head-on. Stargate, Trek, and most certainly that new Flash Gordon mostly fail on those fronts. Progressive edginess is the lifeblood of bona fide sci-fi.

[face_shame_on_you]

(silence except for a few crickets chirping in the night)

[face_frustrated]

[face_monkey]

Stoopid back-sliding tailess primates with car keys, I-Pods, and atomic weapons...

8. capnfatpants

capnfatpants Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 20, 2006
    Agreed there. I quite enjoyed it.

But I'm not going to get into a p****ing match over a friggin' TV show. It's TV!

9. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    TB? Did somebody say TB? AHHHHH!!!!!!!!! RUN FER YER LIVES!!!!! IT'S THE BLACK PLAGUE FROM EUROPE !!!!!!!!

oh you said TV not TB...

In that case my TV can beat up your TV

10. Edric-The-White

Apr 5, 2005
    Actually, any hobby or entertainment genre that allows one to escape the real world is escapism. But that is just my humble opinion.

Edric

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.