main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Flash Gordon's influence

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth-Seldon, Sep 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    George has said while making Star Wars that is is sort of a Flash Gordon type film. I have heard all sorts of rumors about the influence of Flash on George. This thread can discuss the film and comics influnce upon him. Now I know Star Wars is a better film in my opinion but is it possible that George created the idea by being influenced by flash? Discussion can happen here!

2. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    Flash Gordon was probably one of the many Saturday serials that GL watched as a kid. As we all know, SW is based on these serials (as is Indy Jones). In that sense, there is a lot of influence. However, besides the movie with the cool Queen music, I know little of the Flash Gordon serials.

3. starwars6554

starwars6554 Jedi Master star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I know that the "opening crawl" was inspired by old Cowboy serials George would watch as a kid, and the Millenium Falcon (a.k.a. a hot rod) was inspired by his love of cars.

I'm not too sure about Flash Gordon though. :)

4. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    I remember an interview Lucas did where he spoke about creating A New Hope. He stated that 20th century Fox wanted to know what Star Wars would be like and he said sort of like Flash Gordon.

Now I am not a big Flash Fan I have seen parts of the movie but not all of it. I do know that there is an Evil Emperor who tries to take over Earth. Flash a Football player and this girl find a scientist who created a rocket. They take off into space and try to stop Emperor Ming. That is the basic story I guess. It is similar to Emperor Palpatine is oppressing a galaxxy. Luke Skywalker takes off into space with a Jedi and tries to stop the Emperor. So they are both basically An Evil Emperor threatens the hero's life by oppressing his planet or galaxxy. Hero goes to space to combat villian. Flash is more related to the original three films.

5. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Brian Blessed ;)

6. Exar_Xan

Exar_Xan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 29, 2001
    I dont know what it is for the OT, but i heard that the viewscreen in TPM on the TF bridge is the same as in Flash Gordon.

7. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    Yes the use of the flute when Queen Amidala comes on the screen is from Flash.

8. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    In the book "Star Wars, The Magic of Myth " by Mary Henderson there is a link to Flash as an influence.
    In the book is states that Flash had an romance and adventure forumula. And became one of the first "space opera's"

So the Space Age caused Space serials to be created like Flash, then STAR WARS comes and creates the ultimate Space Opera of all time.

Lucas watched the Flash shows and movie and were inspired by them.

The book has many Flash pictures from the shows and the comics.

9. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 27, 1999
    I read in a Lucas biography that the only reason he set about creating Star Wars is because he could not secure the rights to Flash Gordon for cheap enough.

10. KiAdiMonday

KiAdiMonday Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 18, 2003
    The design of Padme's Yacht was heavily influenced by the rocket ships in the FG serials.

11. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    I just saw the Flash Gordon Movie. It gave me a few points.

In Flash there is a city floating in the clouds which is attacked by the Empire. It also has a huge hole which Flash falls down and goes into a ventelation tube like Luke.

There is a planet with a wooden bridge in the tree's like Endor. This planet also has a swamp like Dagobah.

There is an Ice planet like Hoth.

Emperor Ming=Emperor Palpatine

There is a Princess who betrays the Empire like how Princess Leia betrayed the Empire in ANH.

Flash's scientist friends name is Hans similar to Han Solo

Flash is basically Luke Skywalker.

The inside of Ming's palace looks a lot like the inside of the Death Star.

Also the Emperor has a masked henchmen who dresses in black capes and leads the Imperial fleet.

And it also influenced Indiana Jones. The film begins with a small jet. The pilots go missing and Flash has to pilot the plane to safety. This is like the same thing as in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. When Indy must pilot the plane.

Those are some of the influences.

12. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    Lucas wanted to REMAKE Flash Gordon. He couldn't get the rights, so he invented his own "space opera"... Star Wars.

UKS

13. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    Yes Star Wars is by far the better of the two. But Lucas did take quite a few of the ideas in Flash. Evil Emperor, Princess Traitor, Flash =Luke, Hans and Han Solo, A city in the clouds, A swamp planet with wooden towns far up in the tree's, A frozen planet, A masked henchmen of the Emperor, And many other concepts. Lucas took some of those ideas and created a far better saga. Lucas took history, space serials, westerns, sci-fi books, car racing and many other things and blended them together to create Star Wars.

14. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    Luke and Leia come from Flash Gordon and Dale Arden. Same for Anakin and Padme. The opening crawl is straight out of those serials as well. And the aforementioned flute

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.