main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Flash Users: Want to Collaborate on a Fan Film Parody?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by jbird69, Apr 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbird69

jbird69 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 11, 2000
    Calling all flash users!
    I am looking to collaborate with an effects artist proficient with Flash. Due to a lot happening with my family and my current film, I won't be able to fully learn Flash and complete the film in time for the 2004 Star Wars Fan Film Awards.

The story is a PARODY music video set to a Led Zeppelin tune. If interested, PM me or email me at jbirdentertainment@yahoo.com.
    Thanks in advance!

2. TheRealFennShysa

TheRealFennShysa TFN FanFilms Staff star 4 VIP

Oct 7, 2000
    Not to rain on your parade, but unless you've somehow gotten the rights to legally use that Led Zeppelin song *and* the rights to use the actual recording (unless you plan on rerecording it yourself as well), this project stands no chance of getting accepted in the Official FanFilm Contest...

Fenn

3. jbird69

May 11, 2000
    It's a PARODY of that song. It's only to the tune, includes no lyrics. If it is used in that sense, as a parody/satire, is acceptable and not copyright infringement, according to the copyright laws.

4. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    That really depends on whether you're using their actual music, or if it's someone else's rendition of their music...lyrics or not, the music itself is copyrighted.

Just make sure there's enough variation in the music itself i guess...

5. GreedoCMZ

GreedoCMZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 13, 1999
    You might be able to get away with it but Led Zeppelin is notorious for not letting anyone use their music . . . so make sure it really does sound like an all new rendition. And what do you want people to do on it? I know Flash but am only okay at animating and nobody ever seems to want to help with anything.

6. TheRealFennShysa

TheRealFennShysa TFN FanFilms Staff star 4 VIP

Oct 7, 2000
    "It's a PARODY of that song. It's only to the tune, includes no lyrics. If it is used in that sense, as a parody/satire, is acceptable and not copyright infringement, according to the copyright laws."

Your understanding of copyright laws leaves something to be desired...
    You can parody the lyrics all you want, no one can stop you... but if you use the actual music, you *must* pay for the right to use that tune, because *that* is one element you are not parodying - especially if you're planning on doing the whole song...
    Believe what you want, but Atomfilms and Lucasfilm are very strict about this - and I can tell you right now, without doubt, that unless you can provide them with a written contract from the song's license holders authorizing you to use it in *all* media, they will not accept your film...

Your best bet is to find someone to compose a soundalike for you (and make sure you get all the proper licenses documented from the new composer for a new piece!) - something that will evoke the original without BEING the original... believe me on this - I had to do the same thing for The Jedi Hunter last year...

Fenn

7. twowiththeforce

twowiththeforce Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 14, 2003
    Funny enough JBird (seeing as you are on the Inside Report team), I made a commercial featuring George Lucas (got permission, of course) Its still available if anyone wants to see it.

But Fenn is absolutly right. I mean he knows his stuff being an award winner and all. :D

But a lot of copyright holders are particular about who uses their stuff. unless its completely non-profit or non-derogatory to the original copyright. Although some people can still be nasty about it. So better safe than sorry!

Good luck with your project.

PS - I say go for it and do the parody your way. The worst that can happen is that you wont get accepted into the awards or someone will ask you to cease and desist. So as long as you do as anyone asks, you should be ok.

If they do come after you though, run away as fast as you can. remove all expensive objects from your home, change your name and go into hiding. :D :D :D

8. jbird69

May 11, 2000
    Well, I was just putting down my understanding of the laws, no need to be condescending Fenn, though I do appreciate your advice, so thanks. Now, if I understand you all correctly, Weird Al I guess had to pay to use Don McLean's American Pie to make the parody song The Saga Begins? Cuz I was under the impression since it was a parody it was ok to use.

9. GreedoCMZ

GreedoCMZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 13, 1999
    There's a number of factors involved. If you are pardoying the lyrics but the music is still recognizable then you are likely to have to at least pay for using the music. When a group covers another group's song they have to pay for the music and the lyrics. Then there's also copyright on the actual recording of a song so if that gets used then the people that actually performed the song get paid too. I am speaking in broad, sweeping generalizations here. Don't skewer me, Fenn, if I don't have the time to explain every detail.

10. jbird69

May 11, 2000
    Well then, I guess I need to record new music for this parody. So, if I do that, would any Flash users be interested in helping me out?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.