main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Flashbacks and Rebels

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by StarWarsFan91, May 24, 2014.

1. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    How would you want Flashbacks handled in Rebels?

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing young Kanan sometime in Rebels, and see where he was when Order 66 took place (is he a survivor from the temple attack?) and perhaps overtime see more of his early survival from the empire and more of fall of the jedi.

Do you want Flashbacks to appear in Rebels? If so, how should the flashback be presented and with what Rebels character? Or do you not want them to appear for various reasons, and instead just have Rebels focused in its present?

2. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Dunno how well flashbacks would be perceived to "fit" since they have never been used in onscreen SW before that I am aware of. Thus the argument could be made that having flashbacks would break the style.

3. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    I know Star Wars isn't big on flashbacks, but I honestly don't know how important their absence is. It wouldn't offend me to see one -- with Rebels looking smaller in scope than the Clone Wars, it could be a welcome change -- but I'm not a film expert. Adding flashbacks might cost us something important. I guess a lack of flashbacks puts Star Wars characters in a position to tell stories in-universe, which is important in a series so tied to mythology. The logical conclusion would be that rather than see young Kanan survive Order 66, we should watch him tell the story instead; this violation of "show, don't tell" would then be excused because it adds some value that a flashback of the story would not.

I suspect the lack of flashbacks is somehow load-bearing, and we will and should see the past through in-universe stories and recordings, rather than out-of-universe movie magic. TCW has Yoda's vision, but that's not presented as being as credible as the "now" scenes. Are there any flashbacks in TCW that are given equal weight with "now?" I remember a scene of Plo Koon finding a young Ahsoka -- was that just a plain ol' cut to a past event, or presented as an in-universe dream/memory?

If Rebels wants to use flashbacks, it's probably safer that they be placed under strict controls. Instead of jumping back to all sorts of times, you could have like a "now" timeline and a "15 years ago" timeline, and we only see where each of the characters was at that one specific time in the past.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    There was the brief glimpse of three-year-old Ahsoka, and there were also the flashes of Ventress' childhood, which I really enjoyed.

I say keep them brief, and make sure it's obvious that we're seeing a flashback as opposed to feeling like we're caught in a time warp or something.

Revanfan1, Darth Valkyrus and Cevan like this.
  5. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    not in the films but in the shows it can work if done right.

6. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    You're right, I completely forgot about those.

7. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I'd like to see flashbacks setup to be stylistically similar to Anakin's dream in ROTS and Ahsoka's vision in Assassin.