main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Flashbacks/Flashforwards - Would you want them?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Ulicus , Apr 3, 2009.

?

Flashbacks/Flashforwards - Would you want them?

Poll closed Apr 3, 2009.
  1. Yes, both flashbacks and flashforwards!

40.3%
  2. Flashbacks but no flashforwards!

43.5%
  3. Flashfowards but no flashbacks!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Neither flashbacks or flashforwards, please.

16.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    So, yeah, I'm curious. Would people like to see this sort of thing incorporated into The Clone Wars tv show once or twice? (Either way, I don't imagine the device/s would be particularly frequent)

By flashforwards, I mean episodes that - though they deal with the Clone Wars - are framed during the OT era. For example, Darth Vader visits Random Planet A that he liberated as Anakin during the Clone Wars. As he brings the population beneath the Empire's tyranny, the memories of the man he once was haunt him.

Flashbacks, obviously, are the same in reverse. For example, Anakin thinks back to his own apprenticeship under Obi-Wan Kenobi as he tries to train Ahsoka in a certain skill, yada yada. (I'd love to see the fourteen year old Anakin in action)

2. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    You know, when I did the last poll, I totally forgot to turn off polls. [face_blush]

Usually polls are mod-created only, otherwise we'd have 8 billion polls on the first page. But because I screwed up and this is a decent poll, I'll leave it up. [face_laugh] Everyone else, don't get any big ideas! ;)

I'm not a fan of Lost-style flash-forwards. Flashbacks might work I suppose, but it's such a fast-paced show I don't know when they would be appropriate.

I could see more "Force vision" stuff, that would be cool.

I just don't know if they have the budget to do stuff like that.

3. Asharak

Asharak Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2003
    I think we really need an episode that shows us Anakin and Ventress meeting for the first time. It was hinted at in the movie that Ventress was hungry for revenge, but for what? The only time they have met each other so far in the series was in "The Hidden Enemy". I hope s2 has a lot more Ventress, she was only in three episodes of s1.

It would also be rather nice to see what "The Trials" actually are.

4. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Ah, sorry!

And thanks. :)

5. Ulic QelDroma

Ulic QelDroma Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 10, 1999
    YES! Totally agree with this. I see this series and the Genndy Tartakovsky series as two very seperate incarnations of the clone wars.

6. KotORBF2Female_Revan

KotORBF2Female_Revan Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 21, 2009
    Truthfully, I only want flashbacks. It would show a lot more of the characters pasts (and make the chars easier to write in fanfiction [face_devil] ) Besides, doing flashforwards would be too much like Lost. Although I love Lost, I think that TCW shouldn't copy it (and other shows).

7. XCell

XCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    I'd like flashbacks about Dooku, young Padawan Anakin, Qui-Gon, and Ahsoka. Ahsoka could use more background information.
    Flashforwards could work in a Force-prediction way.

8. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    I don't think flashbacks or flashforwards would fit into this show.

The discussion here reminded me of something. In 'The Hidden Enemy', Ventress tells Obiwan she's missed him. But that happens before the movie... so where did they meet before? They didn't meet in the old Clone Wars series, did they?

9. AhsokaMiro

AhsokaMiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2008
    Flashbacks and flashforwards only within the framework of the war itself, I say, or just barely overlapping the edges... a little after Order 66, maybe; a little on Ahsoka training before the war starts and how that affects padawans... maybe maybe.

Within the war, they can jump all over the place and time and I'd be happy. I'd like to see some of the definitive events of the war onscreen, since now we can. I don't wish pain on my EU-loving friends, but to me, if we're going to see The Clone Wars onscreen, let's see it all: Anakin being knighted, getting scarred, more backstory (and a definitive fate) for Ventress and maybe more Grievous backstory (although you could argue they've done as much of that as they're likely to), Palpatine cultivating Anakin's trust. Key planets like Alderaan and Kaashyyk in more detail. With 100 episodes, that's like 40 hours of story time; it seems silly to completely disregard stuff like the culmination of Anakin's training with Obi-Wan in wartime, and the first meetings of major adversaries. Let's see it.

I know, I know: some of my favorite characters, from Qui-Gon to the whole OT cast, are out-of-bounds in this scenario. But it is called "Star Wars: The Clone Wars". Not "Star Wars: Various Times Roughly Connected to Character Who Were Prominent During the Clone Wars Era".

10. Asharak

Asharak Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2003
    My feelings exactly. Its not that the Genndy series was bad, it was just to different from this show(animation, characters, story etc.) for them to gel together.

11. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    Neither[face_shame_on_you]

12. Jango_Fettish

Jango_Fettish Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 17, 2002
    I would love to see some flashbacks. Not flashforwards though - I think it might be a little awkward to see Vader in the show. If done well it could be great, but I'm not feelin it too much. This show is about the Clone Wars - having Obi-Wan or Yoda looking back on something really wouldn't add to the story of the war too much.

Flashbacks would be great for the show and would add more depth to the characters in the series. Seeing Dooku as a Jedi or when he meets Sidious- that would really deepen the importance of the show. It would also be pretty killer for some post-TPM episodes showing Anakin's training under Obi-Wan.

13. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Flashbacks yes, Flashforwards no.

14. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    I'd like flashbacks. Would be a good way to flesh out characters with histories from before episode 1. Plo Koon and a few other masters have good backstories to dig into, for one thing. It also provides an opportunity to show his Wookiee Jedi master. :D

15. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    I think both add depth to the story.

16. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    I am going with only flashbacks. I think that would be really neat.

17. GhostFallen

GhostFallen Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 24, 2009
    Voted for Flashbacks and Flashforwards.

18. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004

19. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Eh, I can't think of any flashbacks that would interest me. Also, I am not a fan of "flash" things in general.

But I do want a flash forward. Why?
    Well, it is all because of that commercial that had Commander Cody talking about how different things were in the clone wars.

Ever since then, I wanted to see a Star Wars story framed in the context of an interview with an aging and Imperial Cody.

20. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Just Anakin making the ROTS-ANH-TESB saber. Other than that, nothing really.

21. QueenMother_LK

QueenMother_LK Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2009
    while I really want to say that I want both, I just can't see flashforwards making any sense. But flashbacks would be cool as long as they were explained properly.

22. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    </Kirk> "We're going to attempt... time! travel!"

I can see them seeing this as an opportunity to hook new fans on the other timeframes of the older Expanded Universe... :p

- The Imperial Ewok

23. Darthana

Darthana Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2005
    Flashbacks, yes. Preferably no flashforwards.

24. DeadOrAlive

DeadOrAlive Jedi Youngling star 2

May 15, 2009
    YES! I agree with this 100% I'd love to see some flashbacks featuring, models for young Obi-Wan, (without the stiff beard:p) Qui-Gon Jinn, Siri Tachi, little Anakin, and Darth Maul. Flash forwards would be great also, imagine, having Anakin meet Darth Vader, without him knowing, of course, that that's what he'll turn into. That would be sweet.

25. Quiff_vs_Sith

Quiff_vs_Sith Jedi Master

Jan 22, 2009
    I remember asking in another post in another forum whether anybody could imagine the producers using Lost-style flashbacks and flashforwards. Done carefully and in moderation, I like the idea of both. As another poster mentioned, I agree that seeing Dooku as a Jedi, and his turning to the dark side, during a flashback would be interesting. I also think they could work something Vader-related into a flashforward in TCW. After all, there was that scene in the Nelvan episode of the Clone Wars micro series ... know which one I mean? That's not so much a flashfoward, but a warning about the future. A vision of Vader could work as a dream sequence for Anakin, Obi-Wan, or Padme, amongst others. Imagine, for instance, Obi-Wan having a dream about the duel with Vader on the Death Star - just fragments, a glimpse of the mask, a crimson lightsabre blade flashng across his eyes. He wouldn't necessarily know who Vader was in the dream.

However, as they aren't a plot device that has been used in the first series, I think they'd need to introduce flashbacks/forward quite slowly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.