main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I am excited for this episode. There hasn't been alot of focus on the Republic Navy in the past season or two, so it will be good to see it back in action. I for one am hoping to see Yularen as well. We haven't seen him in ages, IIRC.

--Adm. Nick

2. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    I know its very wishful thinking, since TCW has been a huge letdown for me, but I would love too see a Mandator make an appearance in one of these episodes. I do hope we see a few more naval engagements in future episodes too.

3. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    It would be awesome to see a battle where the Republic is heavily outgunned until a massive Mandator shows up in system, as a "superweapon," then the Republic gets overconfident and manage to lose it, maybe due to an arrogant captain who doesn't listen to advice.

I also really want to see Victory class, Dreadnoughts, and Bulwark cruisers, since apparently the Lucrehulk is somewhat banned now- Seps could use another battleship design. Battle of Rendilli ought to be made into a 3-4 part episode, and Battle of Anaxes would be cool too, with Dodonna and Screed.

4. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    Naturally, I really want to see some Vic's myself :D

fistofan1 likes this.
  5. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Found something interesting in the Beta FFG Rulebook:
    "Every space-going vessel, from the tiniest, privately registered skiff to the flagship of the Imperial Navy’s First Fleet, possesses a subspace transponder. " - page 149.

Wonder what this ship is. I know a First Naval Fleet is mentioned in Death Star. Wonder if they'll elaborate on this formation and what kind of ship leads it.

6. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Wait...
    Carida?
    I'm impressed TCW, I really am.

Tzizvvt78 likes this.
  7. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Better wait till the episode has passed to see if they mess it up or not. [face_plain]

8. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I thought the Executioner was the Flagship of the Empire.

9. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    The Executor is the command ship of Death Squadron. Death Squadron was formed after Yavin to hunt Rebels. The First Fleet is described as a unit in Imperial service years before this (DS).

10. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    jasonfry, Tzizvvt78, blackmyron, Gorefiend

Apparently the answers to ALL of our questions about Home One herself and the Home One-type Star Cruiser is general were answered in Star Wars: The Official Starships & Vehicles collection #73. :p While Leeland already confirmed the length of 1.3km (which is repeated in this guide), I found the following quotes to be the most interesting of all:

"There were seven Home One-type Mon Calamari cruisers at the Battle of Endor. These included Admiral Ackbar's flagship Home One, General Madine's Independence, a communications centre, and Defiance, acting as a rearguard. The Defiance was also used to hunt down any lingering resistance after the Imperial withdrawal."

"Home One was one of two ships of the type that became the mobile base of operations for the Alliance High Command. Formerly, before the Battle fo Yavin, the Independence was home to Mon Mothma and the rest of the Alliance leadership. However, Home One took over after the rushed evacuation of Hoth. The ship was to remain Admiral Ackbar's home for five full years after Endor. Even after Ackbar began to use the purpose-built MC90 cruisers, Home One was retained as his personal flagship in honor of his service, until he retired as Supreme Commander of the New Republic Defense Force 19 years after the Battle of Endor."

There you have it folks. Not only where there a total of seven Home One-type Star Cruisers at Endor, but we have the final confirmation that Home One and Independence are two different ships. There was this further quote about the Independence being the only Home One-type Star Cruiser by 4 ABY to have it's bridge modified for human command:

"Only one vessel, the Independence, had the experimental work done, and that was commanded by General Crix Madine with a human bridge crew."

This guide has some great close ups of the Home One model, from angles I haven't seen before. Alas, I don't have a scanner currently, or I would post them.

Anyways, given all that we have discussed this, I figured it would be cool to share with all of you! :cool:

--Adm. Nick

11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Is "Home One type" synonymous with the exploration cruisers, but not with the MC80a types?

12. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Awesome news indeed - and I like that it leaves open the presence of other MC80s of the non-Home One type.

13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The "winged Mon Cal cruisers" sometimes called Liberty type, would fit.

14. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    I would think that after the Sarlaac project that the Empire would try again to build a rather large unique flagship rather quickly, but I know I am using common sense there. Could always be a dreadnought "donated" from a local navy too.

15. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The Executors were the successors to the Sarlacc project. As to why they took so long- secrecy might have played a part- with the Executor being built at Scarl, and completed at Fondor.

16. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    IIRC, the end of the WOTC campaign indicated that the destruction of the Sarlacc caused the Empire to move away from the supership concept for a number of years before coming back with the Ex.

17. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Common sense would actually be for them to spend even more resources on ImpStars, agents and patrol ships to hunt down those fellows who blew up the Sarlaac project ;)

18. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Hm, yes, it does say nothing as big as the Sarlacc was built after it, until the Executors. I assume the FF flagship is most likely a dreadnought of some kind. Depending on era, it might even have been an Executor.

Since it's a numbered fleet, it's most likely Core-based. The Coruscant sector is a likely candidate. Alternatively, if the Azure Shield is meant to protect Coruscant, it might be based out of some other prominent Core world. Maybe a "liberated" Scipio, given it's military culture and history?

That was the intention, based on Jason and McEwok's quotes in this thread. The MC80As are retconned into being the wingless cruisers in ROTJ, while the Liberty and Home One types are distinct. Warfare also gives a size for an average cruiser at 1,2 km (this applies to the majority of both Liberty, wingless and HO cruisers). In X-wing Alliance, there's HO cruisers at 1,4 km and Liberty cruisers at 1,5 km.

19. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Still not happy with the 1.3 Km number for Home One, but cool to see the number pegged at 7, and Madine placed on Independence. That would fit with the large non-calamari population on the ship in X-Wing.

20. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Yeah, having seven is a good thing. Meshes with some old X-wing cut scences and it meshes with the EGTW's statement that a handful of MC80 exploration cruisers escaped Dac prior to the Imperial occupation. Someone needs to retcon the MC80 cruiser Solidarity from TFUII novelization as one of the seven cruisers. It was described as one of the first MC80's in the Alliance Fleet, so it is a PERFECT match. :D

BTW, Wes, since you are a K-wing fan you will be happy to know that it is also addressed in the Official Starships & Vehicles collection set that comes with a Y-wing model. Unfortunately, I don't have the book handy as it was part of the gift I bought my younger brother, but the section on the K-wing explains that the vessel was "redesigned" following the Black Fleet Crisis to match the picture shown in the EGTVV. This helps explain the difference in appearances between the way it was described in the BFC and the image in the essential guide. The main reason for the redesign was that K-wing squadrons suffered heavy losses, especially due to the lack of anti-starfighter weapons. That is why the NRDF added the fixed laser turrets and redesigned the airframe. Pretty neat retcon!! :cool:

--Adm. Nick

21. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Not to be the raincloud on the parade, but that retcon doesn't completely work, since we see "redesigned" K-wings at the Battle of Doornik-319... at the start of the BFC.

Of course, we could assume that the in-universe artist of the Essential Chronology was simply using the later version as reference. :p

22. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Drats. :p

Yeah, lets just assume that the IU artist just made a mistake. Of course, now I really want to see an image of the K-wing as KMac intended.

--Adm. Nick

23. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    So kind of like how most artists always depict the G model B-17 even before it was introduced.

24. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    The K-Wing is ugly enough as it is, the book description made them sound even more patchwork. :p

25. boomx2sjk

boomx2sjk Jedi Master star 2

Nov 9, 2012
    Adm. Nick,

That get to me as well! I cringe every time I see a chin turret on what is supposed to be an early-war B-17.