main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    On top of the Inexpugnable-class you have all of those, hopefully large, Republic command ships during the Great Sith Wars.

One of biggest pet peeves for me is it seems like the Galaxy only knew how to build large warships during the Imperial era and that sometimes authors try to keep a linear progression up to the one mile ISD. I know there are a few exceptions, but I would like to see some good size variety in all eras.

2. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Technically, the majority were only referred to as "Republic battleships" (Power of the Force Sourcebook).
    [​IMG]

Only one command ship was actually seen in the comic (and another in the audio drama).
    [​IMG]

The battleships could be anything from Star Destroyers or up. I doubt the Republic would field a concentrated fleet of larger warships, though.
    Btw. love these designs. I was happy to see their origins in earlier eras like the Pius Dea and the Alsakan designs in EGTW.

3. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    The Inexpugnable-class tactical command ship is really a neat warship, in that it really is one of the few true dedicated command ships we see in the EU. Inexies were designed to coordinate the combat operations of 64 Hammerhead-class cruisers and their accompanying starfighter squadrons. I also have always really digged the design. Shame we didn't see more of them.

--Adm. Nick

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The Droid Command Ship (and other Trade Federation Battleships) are big, yet only Star Destroyers under Anaxes system (at least, the Incredible Vehicles Clone Wars book classes them that way)

I could see them as a similar design in many respects to the Inexpugnable.

5. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Blame it on the writers. In particular WOTC who opted to make them rare and soon replaced by a smaller design.

6. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    After what happened in the KOTOR comic, I can't say that I'm surprised they were phased out.

Or, you know, the guy who created the ship and helped write the guide - and who said this about his contributions:

"I did all the shipmaking solo"

Gorefiend likes this.
  7. King of Alsakan

Nov 25, 2007
    Yeah I think they are great designs too, was hoping to see a lot more of them in other sources. I agree, always thought those larger ships came from the local planetary navies, which were called upon in a time of war. I am hoping they were some Alsakani, Corscanti, etc... battleships. It would seem reasonable considering some of the earlier Era's seem to mirror the situation that existed before the Clone Wars with a smaller Republic military presence.

That picture of the Fifth Alsakan Conflicts from EGTW is one of my favorite all time wallpapers.

8. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Tzizvvt78 likes this.
  9. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
  10. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Now that fractalsponge is doing Mon Cal warships, it opens the possibility of him doing some original designs. I would love to see his concept of the Mediator-class, as well as larger ships like the Viscount-class.

That MC90 cruiser is stunning and it is still only in the early phases. I hope he picks up on the idea from the Complete Vehicles guide and shows open weapons blisters displaying turbolaser and ion cannon batteries! :D

--Adm. Nick

11. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Yes, the correct 17Km Viscount, please :D

12. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Would be easy enough to show both sizes, though. :p

I have the Mediator and heavy carrier on my wish list. Neither have images, so either should be higher up in priority than other Calamari ships.

13. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    NO.

14. King of Alsakan

Nov 25, 2007
    Fractals stuff is amazing. I really hope he is used for other projects. Its made all the more better given all of the technical and historical thought he puts into his designs. Also found it interesting, looking through that thread, the 20th century naval equivalents he gave for the models he worked on:

I also believe that I saw a while back that he intended the Praetor was suppose to be 6,400 meters.

15. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    You're never going to let that one go, are you? :p

Question, though - are you okay with the size of the Mediator? Because that was one of the biggest problems with the "17 km only" Viscount - the insistence by some folks that the Mediator must be half of that size.

16. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    Mediator as 1500 meters is fine, as it is an updated version of the MC-80/90 basically. I could see it as being larger, say 2-3Km like an updated Home One (which is not 1300 meters!) but 1500 for the Mediator doesn't bother me at all.

As for the Viscount is twice the size of Mediator so the Mediator must be half the Viscount's size, I find it far far easier to attribute that to be just a description, not a precise technical scaling. The POV of the scene does involve Jaina marveling at it, so I put it as about as reliable as "More firepower than half the Starfleet" or "Look at the size of that thing!"
    Trying to pander to a single rough description as "authorial intent" just caused this mess, when later sources and artwork gave a distinct size and look for the ship and class, and "authorial intent" is ignored as often as it is obeyed.

As for letting it go, no I'm not. That's why it is in my sig, with other things that I am not letting go about either :D

Zeta1127 likes this.
  17. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    couldn't the size difference have to do with mass, volume, or width of ship rather than stern to bow length?

Zeta1127 likes this.
  18. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    a few fleet-related notes from the book THE LAST JEDI

new Imperial ships:
    1) ISB stealth fighter
    2) attack corvette; carries docking shuttles and two-seat courier vessels

ships used by the Antarian Rangers and Toprawan Resistance:
    1) Dart vessel -- a stealth fighter
    2) CloakShape
    3) Cutlass-9
    4) Delta-7
    5) Helix-class interceptor

19. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I looked those classes up- the Montana-class were never actually built- nor was the A-150.

Also- I'm not sure what the Bellator (battleship made over into a faster, battlecruiser-ish vessel) and the Vanguard (Britain's last and biggest battleship design) have in common.

Personally I'd say that the Renown-class battlecruisers (basically, improved Revenge-class battleships redesigned into battlecruisers) might fit the Bellator's theme more neatly.

20. King of Alsakan

Nov 25, 2007

On the Eclipse and Assertor I think the comparison comes from the fact that they would have represented the biggest and most powerful battleships ever made, regardless if they were constructed or not. He talks about some of his thinking about the Assertor representing a maximum battleship and taking on New Republic forces on a conventional basis in the SW Insider article about EGTW as well.

I agree on the Bellator-class, the Renown-class, the HMS Hood, or the Alaska-class would all be good alternatives I think. Though the Vanguard was considered a fast battleship, gaining speed for less armour and armament, sort of like the Bellator differing from the Mandator. Also maybe in his mind the Bellator represents the last Imperial design for a battleship, much like the Vanguard was the last hurrah for battleships on Earth.

On the Praetor I actually thought at first he meant the Kirov-class battlecruiser at first, but then I stupidly figured the abbreviation meant King George V.

21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    All well and good- but the real Montana, had it been built, would have been bigger than the "maximum battleship" (being too large to fit through the Panama canal- like the Vanguard was)

The Iowa-class would fit more closely into that class- being just small enough to squeeze through.

22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    On closer inspection- I can't find a reference to the Vanguard being unable to fit the Panama Canal- I may have been thinking of a reference to it being too deep for the Suez canal.

Main reason I picked Renown as Bellator-equivalent, was that it was one of the few cases where a battleship design was remade into a battlecruiser design (lighter, faster and less armoured than the original model).

Allegiance-equivalent, might be the Alaska. Officially a cruiser, but very similar to the battlecruisers of the day. Seems very reminiscent of Kuat calling its smallest battlecruisers "Star Cruisers".

Any other thoughts on appropriate parallels?

(EDIT: as far as I can tell- the Vanguard had comparable deck armour to other battleships of the day- like the King George V class. It lost a little bit of belt armour- but I can't see it as being very similar in theme to the Bellator).

23. King of Alsakan

Nov 25, 2007

Very true, though in my opinion I think the Iowa fits the Executor the best. I think of the Executor as a large fast battleship. Like the Imperator, its flexible enough to perform a wide variety of roles and respond anywhere in the Galaxy fairly rapidly. Its capable of operating in the Outer Rim for a long period of time and makes for a good command ship.

On the other hand, if I wanted a warship to duke it out with another dreadnought, lay waste to another planet, or protect a strategically important asset I would go for an Eclipse, Sovereign, Assertor, Mandator, etc.. instead of an Executor.

24. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    When I look at that back of book pic in TEGTW of an Assertor-class (Wrath) bombarding a planet- I can't help but think of the iconic Iowa-class shore-bombardment pics- from Vietnam war among others.

I'm wondering if there's any support for the notion Gorefiend 's brought up in the past that Executor-class ships had something of a glass jaw.

25. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    One of WEG's NR products indicated that the New Republic had found flaws that made the Exes vulnerable to attack.