main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. AlyxDinas

AlyxDinas Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 12, 2010
    Nothing that I can tell. The guy doing the mining has a program that sort of slowly assembles the models and because the data is being added in the background of game patches, it's incomplete to a large degree. So far, that's meant player ships. Strike vessels, bombers, etc. There's some nice variations and then there are models that are quite intentionally meant to be visually evocative of "classic designs. However, the variations on a single "type" of vessel are quite interesting. That's because there's essentially basic chassis and then it build from there, with different engines and such.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  2. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    I'd like to see Fractal's take on the Rendili Dreadnaught-class and the two assault frigates just to see how they all add up, given they're supposed to be the same ship, just heavily modified. The Mark II frigate always seemed like someone took the head of a RD, not the entire ship. Then again, they made different sizes for the RD, too, maybe the Mark II was taken from a larger variant?

3. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007

Looking in other forums the MC-90 is starting to get armed up, pretty damn impressive:

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/showthread.php?2212-Star-Wars-projects-thread/page326

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  4. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003

Looks great. Interesting that he didn't opt to use the "hidden" gun blisters ala the Complete Vehicles, but instead went for a beefier single heavy turbolaser on ball mount for each main gun. I am loving everything I am seeing. Kinda bummed that he felt the need to increase the size to 1500 meters, but I guess his idea is that the vessel needs more mass to be an ISD killer.

Anyways, I can't wait to see the finished product!

--Adm. Nick

5. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    Why would an official warship - which the MC90 is - need hidden gun-blisters? This isn't a converted luxury-liner after all. And if Jason Fry can drop the ball and decrease a Viscount from 17 klicks to 3.1, then I see no problem with the MC90 increasing in lenght by 250 meters.

AdmiralWesJanson likes this.
  6. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    Sorry for the repeat.

7. Ketan-Shej

Ketan-Shej Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 30, 2005
    the details are fantastic! best ever!

my dream!

8. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Also, "each calamari cruiser is a unique work of art and blahblahblahblah", so there's no reason MC90s can't differ between ships like the other types do.

9. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    thanks Gorefiend! I vaguely recalled that pic, but couldn't find it online anywhere!

Its certainly interesting to see SW ships using actual grappling hooks instead of tractor beams. Makes me think of Enterprise NX-01;) Of course, I realize Ebruchi are pirates in Unknown Regions, and their tech isn't always going to match mainstream. But it does raise the interesting question if the difference is due to tech lag, or deliberate. Are there advantages to using physical grapples over tractor beams? And IIRC, Ebruchi mostly steal tech from other cultures, which makes me curious who these fighters originated with...they don't strike me as particularly Chiss or Faruun in aesthetic. I would love to see them retconned as originating with one of the more obscure Uknown Regions races.

Regarding Mon Cals, I would love to see some artistic fleshing out of their fleet. Artistic depictions of their non-cruiser ships [carriers, corvettes, frigates, gunships, troop transports, fighters, bombers, tenders, boarding shuttles, gunboats]. Do they still use the Clone Wars type Amphib fighters in Rebellion period and beyond? I would like to see a more "realistic" movie-quality depiction of an MC40a than the blocky game images we are currently limited to. And I'd like to see more appearances of MC30c ande MC40a than their current respective one-game-each, not to mention some histories and full stats for each class. And several classes, like the Mediator, still lack pics. Plus, my understanding is only the prototype Viscount itself is 3.1km, later main-production Viscount SDs are still 17km. Although personally that doesn't make sense to me, how could a 3.1km ship function as a prototype for a 17km ship? Isn't a prototype supposed to test the feasibility of a design? How can they even be considered the same class?

Most of all, we still need more illustrations of Legacy-era fleets, by which I mean the "pre-Cade" portion of the Legacy era. Strident-class Star Defender is still high on my list of must-sees

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Have we seen any tof ships outside of their bulk cruiser?
    [​IMG]

Also do we have any in universe explanations to why we see so few duros space ships, stations or other technology?

11. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    No in-universe explanation for lack of Duros ships that I know of.

Out of universe, its Kuati and Mon Cal ship saturation. I like them as much as the next guy, but we need more variety :p

12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I am actually tiered of them. Not that I don't like them, I am just tiered of them

13. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Same comic shows us their fighters, but nep no others have shown up, though TUR mentions that their normal ships are smaller though still look a lot like sailing ships.

Could be that a lot of the stuff they build is for CEC.

14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Found the fighters
    [​IMG]

Maybe that is the secret behinde Kuat and CEC: all their work, outside of desigen and marketing, is by the Dutos Cartell!

15. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The lack of Duros ships came up elsewhere recently. It is puzzling, as they have been established as one of earliest spacefaring races with one of the largest shipyards in the galaxy (yet they never actually seem to have their own capital ships defending their shipyards). I believe the only definitive designs of Duros crafts were a starfighter (with the Corellians) and shuttle.
    There isn't an excuse, especially since we've had references to unique Givin and Geonosian capital ship designs. And during the Imperial era, there should have been at least a dozen Duros freighter classes.

darthscott3457 and Gamiel like this.
  16. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Quick tidbit of Duros ship lore (from EGTW, naturally) - the original Republic navy was, in part, Duros scout ships.

17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do we see them or get any real data about them? Also; when in the old Republics history are we talking about?

18. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    An MC90A cruiser? :p

I always assumed that the MC90 series, based on it's 1255m length, was an ISD-killer due to having more internal space devote to reactors. Mon Cal warships don't waste space on internal storage for ground forces, plus they require significantly less crew to operate than an ISD. Even though they are 245m smaller, I assume the fact that they don't have to make space for the aforementioned things allows for a larger reactor. The larger reactor in turn powers heavier turbolasers and stronger shields. Add in the increase to six starfighter squadrons and the addition of six capital ship scale proton torpedo launchers and it makes sense why this vessel was so dangerous.

Yup, I always liked that part. There is also the part about the Duros "armed merchant ships" that was included by ThrawnMcEwok as a way of foreshadowing the practices of the Neimoidians, The Duros also collaborated very heavily with their Corellian neighbors, so I can easily see Duros warship construction being more focused on small, fast and heavily armed frigates.

--Adm. Nick

blackmyron likes this.
  19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Me I want to see Duros long runners and city ships

20. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Sadly, no - it was a blurb about the Republic's original navy at its founding - only Coruscanti armed freighters are listed besides the Duros scout ships.

Checking the Tionese-Republic War, I didn't see any notice of Duro listed as one of the principal Republic shipyards - but I had forgotten Humbarine was.

Another small tidbit - Coruscant and the Core Worlds indicated that during the New Republic, the Duro Starshipwright Shipyards were primarily engaged in the design and production of light freighters.

21. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    I remember a while back there was talk that Hoersch-Kessel might actually have been (at least originally) a Duros shipwright. That would put a lot of Duros ships on the table.

22. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    I've always wondered if the name has any connection to the planet Kessel at all...perhaps Kessel is originall a family name, and manufacturer and planet both derived from that?

also, the "Kesselian blockade runners" in ROTJ novellization could be in the sense of manufactured by H-K, rather than from planet Kessel?

23. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

The Truce at Bakura Sourcebook explained that those are actually just armed Smuggler ships.

24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Awww:( , and since I just have bought The Truce at Bakura Sourcebook I have to ask which page?

25. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
  26. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Some of their city ships were decidedly Executor-ish in appearance:

[​IMG]
    With added bubble domes and hundreds of millions of citizens, though.

Gamiel likes this.