main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    I wouldn't attribute this to the overall technolgy advancing or improving, but to shifting priorities within the balance of speed, firepower and protection as well as the different needs of the time and available resource-base. For example there is no need for an ISD-like ship, that works perfect as the backbone of an occupation-force, during the centuries post-Ruusan or a troop-transport like the Acclamator.

Ordo N-11 likes this.
  2. FTeik

Nov 7, 2000
    Sorry, but I assumed that was clear from the context of my prior argument based on the sorry state of Corellia at the time of the Centerpoint-crisis.

Isn't Subpro the shipbuilding-branch of SoroSub? In that case the EGVV might refer to Dauntless- and Liberator-class cruisers.

3. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Thing just is, it is exactly what we are told happened to the Invincible and the Dreads and those of them that did stick around got upgraded to try keeping up. The various models of X-Wings and TIEs are also a rather good example, since they keep improving on the design with each generation.

Troop Transports would actually be rather handy in peace keeping mission, though they had ships like these in old times, if it really made no difference tech wise, why not just build those again instead of investing tons of money in designing new ones? Unless of course they had come up with better tech and design ideas in between.

4. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    One would almost think they'd keep the Hammerhead-class in the post-Ruusan environment. It fits the bill of having ships that are cheap and inexpensive and can show the Republic's reach in outlying systems, while cutting down on the need to do R&D for new designs. Eventually, similarly sized ships like the Consular-class would take over the role, but I imagine the Hammerhead saw some service for a few decades or centuries following Ruusan.
    The Invincible-class would also be a good fit for a relatively peaceful era. It is by that time outdated, possibly loaned or bought by local defense navies and is big enough to carry a sizable army, should the need arise. We know from TCW Trespass that there were plenty of local military conflicts between ambitious worlds, I assume the Invincible-class could be a good and then-cheap way of carrying armies prior to something new and modern like the Acclamator-class.

darthscott3457 likes this.
  5. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    Hammerhead does indeed fit for the post-Ruusan Republic. We just don't know for sure, which is why I put Ruusan at the end of its use (confirmed use anyway). We need more on the post-Ruusan/pre-PT era really.

6. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    While it was still under Imperial control, it's doubtful that they were making any capital ships larger than the corvettes that weren't Imperial designs, like the Corellian-made SDs. CEC was said to be devoted to the civilian market in the RE, anyways.

No, it's a fairly large starship manufacturer in the Inner Rim.

7. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    We actually see a Hammerhead-esque ship in one of the panels of the Qui Gon/Telos IV comic. Not sure if it was intended, just noticed it was present on a world known from the KOTOR games.

8. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    I still wish there was a SW Lit job req for a Imperial Inquisitor dedicated just to starship length.:)

9. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I was reminded of the following by the discussion about Wookieepedia in the TOS blog thread. I have brought this up before, but I don't think I have done so here yet.

I have been trying to get them to adopt a new designation, TIE/S Sentinel, for the V38 assault fighter from Rebel Assault II, without even completely abandoning that original name. The V38 assault fighter was the base craft from which the TIE Phantom was derived from, but that name bugs me a lot. Due to the TIE Phantom having such a unique appearance in comparison to other TIE series craft and the fact that the Alliance is the only one to call the TIE Phantom a modified V38 assault fighter, keeping the old name is as simple as stating that due to the TIE Sentinel's rarity, the Alliance didn't know its official designation.

10. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    The V38 actually has very little to do with the other TIE line.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's far larger, and the only distinctly TIE elements are the wing panels. Take those off, add different style wings, and it looks far more like a CEC design than pert of the TIE series. Actually, the base V-38 could potentially be a CEC design, the TIE phantom just integrates TIE style radiator wings to deal with excess heat generation. Maybe a switch over to SFS style Ion engines as well, but IIRC from the game, a triple array like the TIE Defender.

TheRedBlade likes this.
  11. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
  12. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    True.

Personally, its design reminds me a lot of the Dagger fighter, a pre-Clone Wars era design by the same company.
    [​IMG]
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dagger_starfighter

My headcanon is that the V-38 is an older fighter sold to planetary militias which was chosen as the base for the Phantom because its size made installing a cloaking device easier.

13. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Funny how we get custom versions of "more common" ships long before we get the original ships. Remember how long before we actually had information about the "cruiser" that the Interdictors were made from?

MercenaryAce and Zeta1127 like this.
  14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Talking of which- the Brian Wood In the Shadow of Yavin book has the Wedge refer to the enemy force as "A Star Destroyer -- and an Interdictor Cruiser!" but the pics make it look far more like the much larger Interdictor Star Destroyer.

15. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Well, Interdictor is the generic term, and even the larger Interdictor Star Destroyers could be bumped down to heavy cruiser by the loss of combat power. The typical Interdictor cruiser though is the SFS Immobilizer 418.

Good catch on the Dagger fighter. I never played Starfighter/Jedi Starfighter.

Maybe CEC and Republic Sienar Systems collaborated on the design? Or RSS liscensed some parts from CEC to make a cheaper fighter with "off the shelf" parts?

16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    True- and I think one of the Interdictor Cruisers in the Thrawn Trilogy novels, is depicted in the Interdictor Star Destroyer style in the Thrawn Trilogy comics.

17. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    darthscott3457 likes this.
  18. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Maybe they'll do a pseudo-average estimate again, like with the short-lived 12,8 km length.

ILM wanted 17,600 m
    Model passing by other model => 13,469 m

Average means 15,534.5 meters. :p

19. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I disagree. I think it should be 15,535 meters. THIS MEANS WAR!!!

20. FTeik

Nov 7, 2000
    LFL-spokespeople like "Pabawan" aren't 100% reliable, when it comes to technical matters. Aside from that he somehow forgot to quote "From SW to Indiana Jones", which state Executor was supposed to be eleven times as long as Imperator and that the bridge-towers are supposed to be the same size. Hardly the act of somebody, who tries to give a comprehensive, unbiased account of the history of this mess.

And as far as the accurate sizes of CGI-vessels in comparison to real-life models are concerned: how long are ships like the Acclamator/Munificent and Recusant again?

21. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Hey, it's Pablo!

Depends, movie canon or TCW canon? :p

22. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I really don't think he was trying to make a comprehensive account of the SSD Wars -- the primary purpose of the article was to introduce that brass Star Destroyer model (as far as I know, this is a new contribution to the debate), with the discussion of the length controversy only there as an introduction to the debate and confusion.

When did people get so attached to their talking points that they have to get rude and dismissive about anything that doesn't parrot their own point of view? What is this, Congress? The guy even went out of his way to say that he's not going to state anything definitive either way in the debate.

23. FTeik

Nov 7, 2000
    A fair point of criticism, if I wouldn't remember Pabawan's past conduct in regards to SWTC, its author, those who agreed with both (and not with the then official LFL-partyline) and the SSD-war. If he just wanted to introduce the formerly unknown SD-model, why didn't he just do so instead of supplying us with the almost entire history of the SSD-lenght-debacle? And, by doing so, bringing it up?

Aside from that we now have TWO contradicting sources for the size from ILM. One written down and published years ago in "From SW to Indiana Jones", the other probably from the notes of Paul Huston published in an internet-blog fourty years after the fact.

24. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    Just wait until JJ Abrams is done with Episode VII then all of these ships will be twice as long :)

If they made the Executor small enough then you might have to shrink the Assertor, Sovereign, and Eclipse as well. What a mess the would be. What is source of the Executor being the largest "traditional warship" anyway? I really wish that fact didn't exist, though I can think of a few way to get around it.:)

25. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Great research as always. I read his article on the mystery 'Rebel wilderness fighter' recently, and his research was incredible (and I loved that he discovered the 'Rebel' actually appeared as a background character in Jabba's Palace). It's also bizarre that no one thought about checking the models before, though.

Let the past lie. This wasn't an 'attack' on anyone.

Because the vast panoply of Star Wars fans have never heard of, and could care less about the specifics of, the "debacle".

Or, another way of putting it is that this the FIRST we're hearing about this source.

But it's certainly more reliable than holding up yardsticks to screenshots.