main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Actually, no source said "900km" In The Beginning- the closest was one source that said "over 500 miles in diameter".

Same with 160km - source was contradictory- saying "100+ miles in diameter" but also that the 4 ft wide DS1 was built to a 1:180,000 scale- which would produce something significantly larger than 160 km.

2. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    I replied appropriately about the unretcon back to ILM's numbers and expect an hilarious non-answer in return.

The minimalist estimate from third party sources are themselves retcons, so why not? It's only fair, since they didn't stick to the actual creators' work in the films.

darthscott3457 likes this.
  3. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe WEG knew about the DS1 model being 4 ft wide, and the DS2 model being 5ft wide or so, and assumed that they were built to the same scale.

The Pellaeon-class is specifically stated to be shorter than an ISD in Starships of the Galaxy: Saga Edition- but it doesn't say how much shorter.

4. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Given the nature of the topic and how passionate fans on both sides are about their preferred scale, I am posting a general reminder to be civil and respectful. I fully encourage a robust discussion & debate, but any comments that are sniping in nature or rude are off limits. Period.

--Adm. Nick

5. NCISliar

NCISliar Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2013
    Given the differences in it's portrayal (even in the comics it doesn't look the same in two different issues) a vague statement on it's length would be the best thing we could ask for.

I guess you could use these images for measuring. The large cannons on the destroyers look somewhat like the XX-9 guns on the ISD II and the Death Star.

Image 1
    Image 2

6. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Trip did a scale charts years ago, IIRC. The only real statements are that the Pellaeon-class Star Destroyer is slightly smaller than a ISD and that the Scythe-class is +/- a third the size. In the case of the Scythe-class battle cruiser, it actually appears in many shots to be +/- half the size of the PSD, but the scale in comics is notorious to figure out. Based on it's appearances, the Scythe-class has to be at least as large as a Dreadnaught heavy cruiser, possibly a bit larger.

Alas, as wonderful as the LECG was, they didn't try to tackle sizes. semicooke might be able to answer, as he designed all the Legacy capital ships, but I am pretty sure exact measurements don't exist. Maybe Leeland has some on the Holocron?

--Adm. Nick

7. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Wow, I had forgotten that image of the Alliance. Nice. Those definitely seem to be XX-9s. I know Jan Duursema drew one for the destruction of the Jedi Temple on Ossus.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  8. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    Maybe instead its now canon that the Death Star 2 has the ability to rapidly change in size, its bigger on the outside;)

I haven't had a chance yet to look through the new manual. Though looking at the scale page in the back with the smaller Death Star's, with great sadness of course, that torpedo sphere does sure look to be out of scale or is it just me?

Also found this yesterday for those interested, and not to argue about what he says:). It a physicist recently going over how the original Death Star would look like in Low Earth orbit, power requirements and such.

9. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Nah, just say the World Devastators were based on self-replicating construction droids that kept building on it and expanding its surface from 160 km to 900 km (or 800 km).

darthscott3457 likes this.
  10. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I seriously wonder why LFL insisted in TCSWE that the Shockwave, Blitzer Harrsk's flagship, was simply an upscale Imperial-class Star Destroyer when it seems like a perfect candidate for being an Allegiance-class Star Battlecruiser, since it apparently has a keel length of 2,200 m according to Darksaber (I wouldn't remember, since its been so long since I have read it, but I don't remember very many Bantam books that gave any indication of ship size).

11. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I read Darksaber. There is no exact size given for the Shockwave.

It's simply referred to as "larger than the other Star Destroyers, more heavily outfitted with high energy weapons".

12. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

It is even said to be an ImpStar a few pages earlier, like the rest of Harrsk's ships and the larger is directly mentioned whilst it is fighting VicStars, which it of course is bigger then.

13. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    That's what I thought, so how is it Wookieepedia is using that as evidence that the Shockwave being 2,200 m?

14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Not sure. Was there a WEG Darksaber sourcebook that gave it that length?

15. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Nöp

16. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Being referred to as an Imperial-class Star Destroyer is actually part of the reason I believe the Shockwave was an Allegiance-class Star Battlecruiser, since the classes similar appearance to an ImpStar or ImpStar Deuce would be excellent justification for it being the unseen Imperial Star Battlecruiser.

17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The precise phrase from Kratas was:

"I had forgotten how sleek and manueverable an Imperial Star Destroyer could be, after all the damage we suffered on the Gorgon."

And before that, the fleet is referred to in the narration as "Harrsk's personal fleet of Imperial-class Star Destroyers"

The closest thing to a phrase suggesting it's Harrsk's Star Destroyers rather than Teradoc's that the Shockwave is larger than:

Kratas took Warlord Harrsk's flagship to the point of a phalanx formation. The Shockwave was larger than the other Star Destroyers, more heavily outfitted with high energy weapons.

Add in that it's obliterating and crippling Victory-class ships with each barrage, and that it's a force of 100 Victory-class ships concentrating fire on it that takes it down, and you can see why it's thought to be a supership.

18. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Which in typical Anderson writing fashion are said to only be 73 a few pages earlier. ;)

19. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe another smaller force dropped in "offscreen"?

20. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Or he just forgot what he has been writing about ;)

21. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Because Wookieepedia isn't perfect, and someone added fanon to the article in 2010 that wasn't caught until you posted this. (This article seems to have a history of fan supposition from the very beginning, a result of the long tendency of the original author, since banned, to extrapolate from facts not in evidence.) Fixed.

22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Any chance of fixing the Death Star articles as well? The Death Star II article's been updated, but the Death Stars article, and the Death Star I article, still use the old figures.

Also, I've noticed SWTC seems a bit difficult to read lately- keep getting a "Directory Listing Denied" message when I try and go past the front page. Any idea why?

23. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    I'm at work, and that looks to be a bigger project than I want to try and tackle when I'm somewhere I have to alt-tab to boring stuff when people walk behind me. ;-)

24. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    When you get into convoluted descriptions like "larger than other Star Destroyers," that tends to breed speculation from technical minded people such as myself.

Wait a second, there is no indication that it is anything other than an Imperial-class Star Destroyer, I did always assume she was an Imperial-class Star Destroyer when I read it.

25. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Hey, right there with you; now that we have several good classes for larger ships to fall into, it's only natural to try and find a spot for the anomalies ... when they ARE anomalies. I'm sure what happened here was that the original author read the "Shockwave was larger than the other Star Destroyers" line, divorced it from its context, and that made him think it was a larger model. When he first wrote the article, he suggested it might be like a "Gauntlet-class Star Destroyer," a fanon name applied in the early days to the Allegiance-class. This supposition lasted through many incarnations of the article (and of the many conjectural, then true, names for that class), until another user, who apparently registered solely to muck with ship lengths, added the length. I don't know how it went unnoticed, when the same user was claiming that the Munificent-class was "100000000000000000000000000000000000000000miles" long, but it did.