main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    The Mandator III is only mentioned among a handful of other dreadnought designs after the Executor. Nothing about its age. It doesn't matter if the Mandators are longer, it's not the sole descriptor of scale.
    The Mandators are top-heavy, but their lower bodies are thinner and needle-like. The Praetor II has an Imperial-class Star Destroyer-shape, only scaled up.

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    TEGTW doesn't actually say when it entered service, only that:

"Moreover, several other classes of dreadnought were built, ranging from the Mandator III to the massive Sovereign, Eclipse, and Vengeance classes."

And from the endnotes:

http://jasonfry.tumblr.com/post/23039847571/eg-to-warfare-endnotes-pt-7

Bellator-class dreadnought – 7.2 km long. The Bellator is a rethinking of the humpbacked Mandator- and Mandator II-class dreadnoughts, which are slightly longer at 8 km. Known in the Imperial military as a “fast dreadnought,” the Bellator sacrifices firepower for speed, where the Mandator III is a 12-km monster valued as a hulking weapons platform. So you have divergent, differently sized redesigns of the same basic hull. (That’s in-universe; out of universe, Warfare’s text and art had separate references to the famous humpbacked ship seen above Byss in Dark Empire. From that accidental collision, a design retcon.)
    TEGTW renamed it the Interdictor-class.

And next to no top superstructure (though it's proportionally broader than the ISD).

[​IMG]

If they're scaled up Bellators - they might not be especially needlelike - it's hard to see the lower half because it's in shade. A larger pic may show it better:

[​IMG]

3. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Yes, but from all that, it still doesn't date them. The Bellator was from pre-Hoth, we know from the image of Ozzel and Piett. Only that's also post-Executor.

4. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    "size, mass, and destructive potential."

It would be a bit odd for a battlecruiser to pack more punch than a dreadnought.

5. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    That was their intended goal in real life. It's the armor that was often lacking.
    Tried to do some scaling (note the forced perspective on the Praetor II from the front):
    [​IMG]
    Even if the Praetor II is shorter, it would still be more massive.

6. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Probably. Turning the Bellator into a Star Battlecruiser would even allow it to exist prior to the Executor which was the "first of the Star Dreadnoughts". It would also fit with the description of it as super-fast.

Should the Mandator I and Mandator II also become Star Battlecruisers rather then Star Dreadnoughts? Would be a way to fit them back in.

7. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    The Praetor-II in that comparison is too large. Even at best it is 6.4 km long (at worst 4.8). And the Mandator-II (not to mention the Mandator-III) is supposed to be a larger, beefier version of the Bellator, so it is unlikely, that a Praetor-II would be more powerful than them.
    The 6.4 km Praetor-II could be more powerful than the Bellator, which is why I would prefer the Bellator to be classified as a battle cruiser and not a dreadnought or even fast dreadnought.

I also wouldn't give so much on the claim, that the Executors were the first star dreadnoughts. I mean, how likely is it, that for nearly twenty years there is almost nothing and then - BAMM - we get Executors, Vengenace, Mandator-III, Assertor, Sovereign, Eclipse ... .

8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The size comes from a FFG's Age of Rebellion "Nearly five times as long" (as a standard Star Destroyer) - The assumption is that the ISD is the standard, and that "nearly" is "just a tiny bit less than" - so ISD is 1.6 km and Praetor is 7.9 km or so.

Saxton put an "upper limit" on it as 13.4 km:

http://www.theforce.net/swtc/dagger.html#giel

I would guess that in the new, FFG and Official Fact File take on the Legendsverse, Star Battlecruisers got bigger and bigger and bigger until finally the classification was superseded in favor of Star Dreadnought for the newest models.

9. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    There were "Republic battleships" bigger than Venators in the TCWCG, maybe they were among the biggest ships they had until the Executor? The Mandators being like mobile battlestations compared to the regular warships. Or the Mandators, being made in the Republic, were not Imperial Star Dreadnoughts?

darthscott3457 likes this.
  10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The phrase was simply "first of the Star Dreadnoughts" not "First of the Imperial Star Dreadnoughts"

"Mandators weren't labelled Star Dreadnoughts" may be the easiest way.

11. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Or, they just messed up. Either way, there's no status on this info.

Though I wouldn't mind a proto-Executor like the FFG Praetor Mark II being the second biggest and baddest in the Imperial Navy in the new canon.

Though this isn't ship-related, Commander has an AT-ST Mark III walker (the one with rotating guns in the trailer). Pretty cool that they're branching out.

12. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Next week's vehicle article is Home One (last week's was Nebulon-B).

I wonder what size they will use? I predict that, since 1300 was the most recent one (Complete Vehicles), it will be that.

13. FTeik

Nov 7, 2000
    While Saxton placed it between 6.9 and 13.4 km, Fractalsponge's model works on a lenght of 6.4 km, while the EGtW made it 4.8 km long.
    Are you certain, that FFG's AoR put it at "nearly five times as long" and not only four times? Because that would fit more with the model-makers original intention.
    Otherwise we could very well re-classify the Praetor as a dreadnought or at least battleship (given its massive shape I was never very happy with its classification as a battlecruiser, but since TPTB obviously all agree on "lenght" being the deciding factor for classification and not more sensible things like reactor-output or tonnage ... ).

14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Pretty certain - after seeing the reference, I remember seeing out the book in the shops to glance through the vehicle section to confirm it for myself.

And the only picture of it in the book is not Fractalsponge's model - but art, and not very high detail art at that.

15. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Please share what kind of details they use. I doesn't matter cause non of it is canon, but from an LEU perspective it could be fun if they threw some new info in there.

--Adam. Nick

16. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    I wouldn't mind seeing the Bellator become a battlecruiser , along with the 8 km Praetor. I think it would be fitting.

As eluded to above, they can always go the route that previous dreadnoughts were built specifically for the planetary navies and the Republic. The Imperial Navy could of fielded those designs until they started making ships like the Executor. Would be sort of silly to be using the Anaxes system since the Clone Wars and there be no dreadnoughts.

Iron_lord likes this.
  17. Tied

Tied Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 18, 2013
    [​IMG]

http://www.moddb.com/mods/yuuzhan-vong-at-war/images/3d-modeling-contest#imagebox

He actually gives links to wookipedia and so on so these ships are canon, and man, i never thought i would get sick of seing that corrielian cockpit

Another reason why no fleet junkie is complete without a copy of EAW installed with mods

Gib likes plox

P.S. the whole Mod project have metric tons worth of posts deidicated star wars ship and ship accessories

Gorefiend likes this.
  18. Tied

Tied Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 18, 2013

Meh it provided a decent training planet if i recall

19. Tied

Tied Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 18, 2013

I think an Empire of TRILLIONS can go with a mere 30 models of tie, they probably have hundreds off additional fight-craft models for planetary defense and especially Atmospheric fighting, since the TIE is about as aerodynamic as a couch

20. Tied

Tied Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 18, 2013

A Belator might be better than a stock dreadnuahgt just for having newer weapons, engines, countermeasures, sensors etc. BUT a mandator does provide a great platform for putting on alot of weapons

21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    We don't actually know anything about Mandators besides the tiny snippets in TEGTW.

22. FTeik

Nov 7, 2000
    We know they have a reactor-bulge, we know, that the Mandator-II equals 1,000 Recusants (the small or big ones?) and we know, that they served in the Kuat Defense Fleet alongside Procurator-class star battlecruisers. Nothing of that is from the EGtW.

23. FTeik

Nov 7, 2000
    Not if the Empire is supposed to standardize equipment, training and doctrine in almost every second source. The Rebel-Alliance, which had to take, what it could get, it is not.

24. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    But the book that said those things, is ICS:ROTS. If Complete Vehicles replaces it rather than supplementing it - that data may not count anymore.

25. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    The name Interdictor is so uninspired and overused that I refused to use it as the formal name of the Dominator-class Star Destroyer.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.