main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    And what makes you think EGtW still counts? For all we know, there isn't a Mandator-class at all at the moment.

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Which may be why the Official Fact File calls the Executor "first of the Star Dreadnoughts"

Of course, even the Official Fact File is Legends.

Dominator was only the name of the first named example in the comics - we were never given any reason, even at the time, to think it was the first of the line.

3. FTeik

Nov 7, 2000
    In that case it will be interesting to learn, which class was the "second of the Star Dreadnoughts".

4. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Given that 4 Executor-class ships were being built simultaneously, whatever one was completed second was probably "second of the Star Dreadnoughts".

5. FTeik

Nov 7, 2000
    Which is why I wrote "which class was the second of the Star Dreadnoughts". :mad:

6. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It would be interesting to see if there are other Star Dreadnought classes in the "modern Legendsverse".

Given that the Official Fact File includes lots of computer game content (mostly TFU) I could maybe see them expanding out to Jedi Knight and doing an article on the Vengeance-class.

7. FTeik

Nov 7, 2000
    Anything, but that oversized toothpick ... .

If they expand to Forces of Corruption we might get the Eclipse, although I would prefer the Star Vipers from that game.

8. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006

But does it need to be discussed every single time you want to complain about EGTW and its driving me insane.

Iron_lord likes this.
  9. Tied

Tied Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 18, 2013

If you ask my EGTW is the best thing that happned to star wars ships since Dark Empire, but oh no it dosent phrase the classification system right or something, come on people grow a pair of shield generator domes

10. Tied

Tied Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 18, 2013

I actually like the Vengeances desgin, seems alot more practical than the exceutor

Iron_lord likes this.
  11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What is EGTW?

12. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    Extended Guide to Warfare

13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  14. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Essential Guide to Warfare- 97% pure awesome, dropped the ball badly on Viscount.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  15. Tied

Tied Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 18, 2013

Ya and personally i wouldnt mind if they cut out all the jedi and old republic crap just to talk about star destroyers, it wouldnt be bad if the Mon Cals got some love too but otherwise, great book and it really is essential for any star wars fan above the age of 9

16. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    Actually I think the whole Viscount-class thing was handled very well. After all, the idea of seeing a 8,500 meter long Mediator-class frightened me too much.

It would've been nice to have seen a roster for Red Squadron at Endor.

17. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003

Agreed. Stupid author.

18. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006

Battle of Endor is my most hugest favourite battle since I was 3 years old. I'm 24 years old, so you can imagine how I feel when I see stuff on it. :)

jasonfry you did a great job with EGTW and the cut material you are posting is just as awesome.

You did a great thing on the Viscount-class Star Defender clean up as well.

Iron_lord likes this.
  19. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Thanks. We've got one more installment left, and if things go according to plan it will come with some cool behind-the-scenes stuff that I hope will interest folks who like stuff about how books get made.

But yeah, should have done an Endor roster. Honestly, it's weird that we didn't. There was going to be a Rogue Squadron roster for Brentaal, but I cut it (from both the book and the cut content) because there was nothing new there and it was boring.

Anyway, back to your Fleet Junkie-ing....

blackmyron likes this.
  20. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Well, now the easy retcon would be that the 3000 meter Viscount was not a prototype, but the "shuttle" section of the ship, as we saw Home One having a large shuttle section.

As for Endor, why Red Squadron there? It would have been nice to get a full Order of Battle, or at least a listing of the major Capital ships- ISDs and Mon Cals minimum :D

Zeta1127 likes this.
  21. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    An easier retcon would be to acknowledge the Miniatures information as a noncanon 'what-if', considering that it was based solely on WOTC's desire for a 'Super Star Destroyer equivalent' for the Rebel/NR side.

But as it stands, I think it still works. You can think of the lines as Mk I and Mk II, or a prototype and the finished product like the Sarlacc and the Executor-class. Ultimately, I could never see the NR during the years of peace before the YV invasion - especially with Borsk in charge - approving a SSD-sized military vessel for production. The Viscount was (as stated) originally designed as a massive vessel to combat the Executors, but when production began the threat was no longer there, so to speak - so the ship was retooled as a much smaller design to save the production. When the war became underway - and it became clear that the enemy had super-sized vessels - the original plans were reinstated.

Iron_lord likes this.
  22. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    Bah, Rogue Squadron this, Rogue Squadron that! I would have loved to have seen a piece on the 181st at Brentaal. While the unit as a whole receives a lot of love, we really see any exposition on the individual pilots who comprise it beyond the main guys like Fel and Phennir. (Although the previous cut content piece on the 181st went a long way towards rectifying that and giving the Imperial pilots some love). That said, I know that the last Author's Cut has a bio on Bey, so even if this particular itch of mine isn't going to get scratched, I just know I'm going to love the final installment anyway. :D

The 3,000 metre Viscount is probably my sole major issue with the EGTW, and even then I'm not as angsty about it as most critics since I just use this as my headcanon handwave anyway. It's a real shame that this piece of information didn't come out until after EGTW was released (unless I've mixed up my dates). I'd be curious to see how, if at all, it might have influenced the retconning of the Viscount/Mediator lengths debate. Even if it didn't see use, the notion of some Mon Calamari ships have a detachable "shuttle section" is an interesting outside-the-box way of potentially addressing certain length debates that just refuse to die.

23. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    The Viscount-class debacle could be attributed to not knowing anything about it after its brief mentions. And then the Super Star Destroyers change in sizes got in the way, then someone higher up had a "brilliant idea" to make it an SSD equivalent. So now we are stuck with this screw-up cause of this and the poor Strident-class Star Defender gets left out of the fight.

24. FTeik

Nov 7, 2000
    May I ask why you think it seems to be more practical?

Concerning the EGtW I have to admit, to me it was - especially after the excellent EA - a let down. I know and understand, why it is the way it is, but still ... .

25. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    I think EGTW was great for what it was, especially in terms of what I was expecting going into it. Got some cool new information, especially considering all of the cut content, on the early Republic and off course some new Imperial warships. I thought most of "from the soldier perspective stories" were great, and all of the illustrations were fantastic as usual.

I would have loved to see a lot more of the book dedicated towards the eras outside of the movies for sure. I am interested in capital ships the most, but I did think the ground forces were a little bit neglected. Even more new starship and vehicles design would have also been very welcomed. I knew coming in, for various reasons, that I would never be happy about all of the lack of design diversity, overall numbers or size issues since they are so far off from what I think they should be, so it hard to complain about that stuff.

Iron_lord and blackmyron like this.