main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    To come back to the ModularTaskForce-cruiser, what do you think of that description of its Inquisition-module:

Either these Inquisitors are part of the empire's official intelligence-apparatus or there were a lot more running around on Prakith than I previously thought.

It is also interesting, that there are 15,000 disintegration chambers, but no holding-cells mentioned aboard. I guess its directly "from interrogation to disintegration" aboard these vessels.

Two garrison bases, but no mention of who will crew them. CompForce? And what about a garrison-bases vessel like AT-ATs and TIEs?

Do I even want to know, what sterilization spores do (I can think of something, but am I correct)?

2. seeker_two

seeker_two Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    They are tiny scrubbing bubbles that get everything sparkly clean......

Does the MTC land on a planet? Or do all the prisoners have to be shuttled to the disintegration chambers? Seems wasteful.....

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

3. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    The idea seems to be that they drop/shuttle the stuff down as needed, though pretty sure it is a very uncommon module.

4. FTeik

Nov 7, 2000
    In any case it supports the idea, that within the GalacticEmpire CompForce is the equivalent of the SS-Einsatzgruppen of Nazi-Germany (which would make the CompForce-Assaulttroopers the Waffen-SS), since the discussion about the actual role of the Stormtroopers comes up from time to time.

5. SheaHublin

SheaHublin Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 15, 2008
    Amazing- I just read your post after having seen 007: Moonraker. Perhaps Michael Allen Horne was inspired by the spore pods Hugo Drax planned to launch at Earth in order to sterilize it.

That passage also has some other implications, among them the idea that many if not most Inquisitors were not Force-sensitive and that there were at least 100 of them in the service of the Dark Empire (or else why would an Inquisition Module be designed with so many in mind?); and the rather frightening one that the Inquisition Module was by far the cheapest of the described Modules, which speaks volumes about the merciless policies of the Dark Empire, especially in light of the mention that these MTFC's were inteded to operate in groups during possible hostile situations.

6. FTeik

Nov 7, 2000
    The Inquisition-module being the cheapest isn't necessarily frightening, since the cost for medical equipment on the hospital-module or advanced sensors aboard the observation/scout-module would certainly outstrip the costs for torturing-devices and desintegration-chambers.

Of course it could also be, that with the war heating up the empire ordered a lot of them, what lead to a reduction of costs for the individual module.

Come to think of it, individual desintegration-chambers make little sense. If you want to get rid of lots of corpses, why not use a huge desintegrator, that also takes care of the ships garbage?

7. SheaHublin

SheaHublin Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 15, 2008
    That was one of the purposes of the World Devastators- to serve as huge disintegrators that can get rid of undesirable organics in large amounts while still getting use of their raw molecules to turn into new war materials. The disintegration booths/chambers were more suited to mass show trials and executions where the idea was to inspire fear in a remaining population, as there would be situations where calling in a World Devastator would be overkill.

Iron_lord likes this.
  8. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I know people have calculated the energy of Star Destroyer's gun based on the scene of one blowing up some asteroids, but has anyone tried to figure out how powerful a X-Wing's lasers are from what they did to the Death Star surface? Particularly the deflection tower.

Iron_lord likes this.
  9. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Well the site-we-do-not-speak-of did both. If you go there, I'm sure the surface vaporizing will be commented on.

10. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    I am saving it for winter break but this new book, What if?: Serious Science Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions, has mentions of the power of a Death Star, in relation to Earth's gravitational binding energy, and at least some stuff on an X-Wing. I only flipped through it. I'll take a gander to see if they mention any numbers.

11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    And if that site is too NSFW, this one has a very similar approach, without the forums and the "Hate Mail" section.

Rather than using the Death Star's surface, it uses the damage done to the surface of an oversized Star Destroyer tower, in ROTJ:

http://www.galacticempirewars.com/laser-cannon-2

12. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Well they boiled off parts of surface structure in ANH, they even comment on it "I got a little cooked, but I'm alright".

Also, I was actually referring to a certain site that's hosted on TFN. :p

13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Not the notorious Stardestroyer.net then? I checked Star Wars Technical Commentaries and it doesn't say much about the X-wing attacking Death Star scene. But the "Turbolaser Commentaries" hosted by Stardestroyer.net, did.

14. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    I thought there was something on the Death Star attack. Huh, I'll check it out.

15. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Total brainfart on my part. Thanks for the answers everyone.

16. anotherdemon

anotherdemon Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 29, 2013
    Finally started reading Tarkin

Munificent, Recusant and Providence-class ships are name dropped early. Which is awesome.

I'm glad they're including that stuff into canon (it's nice to have class names, and they were perfectly valid names to begin with).

King of Alsakan and Iron_lord like this.
  17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It's clear though that the ship itself was put together from the wreck of a "Separatist Dreadnought" version of the Providence-class - because parts are identified as having come from Admiral Trench's wrecked Invincible. It's cobbled together, and is 920 metres long. It's later described as follows:

"Fittingly, the ship most resembled the Quarren Free Volunteer Corps's Providence-class carrier, but at less than half the length was stubby by comparison and did not boast an aft communications tower."

18. anotherdemon

Apr 29, 2013
    Just got there. :)

The ship was said to be a downscaled Providence, predominately made up of Lucid Voice (Invisible Hand's sister, and smaller than TCW ones), with components from other CIS warships, including Invincible. The Lucid Voice stuff and Free Dac. Corps comes straight from the ICS. Someone has been doing their research.

Venator-class is named too (yay). They utilize TIEs.

King of Alsakan likes this.
  19. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Given that Luceno has cooperated with Saxton in book writing in the past (Inside the Worlds?)- it makes sense that he'd use Saxton's work.

I suppose that the Invincible's components could still work when wired into a Providence hull much smaller than it.

Still, the book doesn't say that most of the hull was Lucid Voice - it says:

"Parts of the ship's sensor array tower, which the Seps usually mounted aft rather than forward, appear to have come from the cruiser Lucid Voice."

It also says:

"The central sphere resembles one of the old Trade Federation droid control computers, and the entire forward portion might have come from a Commerce Guild destroyer".

So- you've got the prow off a Recusant, the sphere out of a Lucrehulk's central module (fortunately the computer cores themselves are much smaller then the whole Core Ship is), the tower off the Lucid Voice, bits off the Invincible, and, since the ship is "fan-tailed" and has Munificent parts, maybe that's the tail?

20. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    I was always a fan of the name Lucid Voice, glad it lives on. "Phrase names" for ships, for lack of a better term, can be hit or miss for me. One of my all time favorites comes from the TV show Andromeda with the Wrath of Achilles.

Iron_lord likes this.
  21. anotherdemon

Apr 29, 2013
    Andromeda has some cool class and ship names. I always liked the Siege Perilous-class designation (Wrath of Achilles class name).

Halo is pretty good too (especially Covenant ships and bases).

I'm not as excited of the inclusion of Victory-class in Tarkin compared to Venator as we'll probably never see a Victory on screen (I hold out hope though, especially with the inclusion of the Z-95 on screen; though there's probably no reason to make a Victory model for Rebels when they can just use a repainted Venator if they want more Imperial ships).

22. anotherdemon

Apr 29, 2013
    Not X-Wings....

But you can get low kilotons per shot with ARC-170s and Y-Wing in TCW when they're used against CIS warships. That's low-end against unrealistically thin hull plating. Triple-digit kilotons are possible.

They never display that level against ground targets, but that might be due to powering down their blasters to reduce collateral damage to friendlies and locals (not to mention that the collateral shockwaves of such wouldn't bother the droids and armored vehicles anyway). Against metal and other armored targets, you only need enough to get through the armor thickness + a little bit extra.

In space, there's no collateral shockwaves, and they need to the power to punch through thicker hull plating.

MercenaryAce and Abadacus like this.
  23. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    The former Seppie warship reminded me, in a good way, of all those "kitbash" Starfleet ships used as background ships for ST: TNG and ST: DS9. Grab useful pieces, slap them together, and you have quirky but recognizable ship.

RE: VicStars, despite their passing mentions in the NEU canon, they will never be as prominent as the VenStar. A decade of Clone Wars TV series, comics, and other stuff has made that particular Star Destroyer very iconic and well known, especially among the younger fanbase.

--Adm. Nick

Iron_lord and King of Alsakan like this.
  24. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    This site

http://www.galacticempirewars.com/laser-cannon-2

got X-Wing firepower in the 1 kiloton range (assuming bridge hull plating is 1000 times as laser-resistant as iron).

25. anotherdemon

Apr 29, 2013
    I used steel (Star Wars ships should be stronger than that, but steel is a good low-end), with hull armor plate thickness of about 30 cm. (WW2 battleship), then penetration through the hull material (cargo ship) and into one bulkhead (cargo ship); then by how much material is melted or vaporized.

Low kiloton is about right for a low and very reasonable estimate.

You can get into the megatons for warship guns using the same method.