main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. seeker_two

seeker_two Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    Only problem I see with that is production capacity. Mon Cal cruisers are only built at one shipyard. ISD's are built at multiple yards.

I'd like to see them go to smaller ships.....a lean, mean Alliance with a lean mean fleet: Strike-class, CC-9600-class, etc.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

2. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    Why not have SoroSuub becoming a major ship-supplier for the NRDF (or whatever it will be called). Lets see some successors to the Dauntless- and Liberator-classes. I was surprised, that we didn't see much of them in the NJO with Sien Sovv being the new SupremeCommander.

Or something more wookiee-style. Make Kashyyyk a major shipyard world.

3. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Well, that is only partially true (in the old EU at least). For starters, most major shipbuilders, including KDY & CEC, had their primary production at their homeworlds. Yes, there were satellite yards in the galaxy, but we don't really know is they did a big percentage of the production. Remember too that Dac had shipyards scattered throughout their sector of the Outer Rim. At the end of the day, the EU, for all the talk of secondary yards, painted a picture where the majority of each major races shipbuilding occurred at their primary facility, for better or worse.

Also, the Mon Cals apparently kept up with the NRDF and GADF needs, other than during the initial stages of the NR era. Calamarian shipbuilding ultimately became the sole source of capital ship construction for the GADF, which has a large fleet pre-Legacy comics.

Regardless, in the Sequel Trilogy, it will be interesting to see what sorts of new capital ships we get.

--Adm. Nick

Gamiel and Iron_lord like this.
  4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Another interesting article in The Official Star Wars Fact File - issue 54: the one on KDY ISD-72X Deflector Shield Generator Domes:

KDY ISD-72X Deflector Shield Generator Domes
    No matter how large or well armed the vessel, it was only as strong as its shield. Accordingly, each Imperial Star Destroyer was fitted with powerful shields produced by generators positioned on the ship's bridge.

In keeping with their incredible size and awesome firepower, the Empire's dreaded Star Destroyers used a suitably immense shield generator system. Star Destroyers featured twin KDY ISD-72X domes that were a distinctive feature of the warships. The polyhedral globes were mounted on either side of the Destroyers' trapezoidal conning towers, and projected a powerful defensive screen that could shrug off but the most devastating bombardment.

(sidebar 1)
    The shattered dome of a shield generator marked the doom of many a Star Destroyer during the Battle of Endor. Once the domes were destroyed, Rebel pilots could make a more general attack on the vulnerable ship.

(sidebar 2)
    Only as strong as its shield: despite the size and armament of the Empire's various classes of Destroyers, if their shield generators were hit, they were vulnerable.
    Collisions between Star Destroyers could be catastrophic. The ships' energy shields cancelled each other out, allowing the structures to rip into each other. One such collision was narrowly averted at the Battle of Hoth.

Service
    Despite the impressive power output of the ISD-72X, their service record on Star Destroyers was less than impressive. On a number of occasions, enemies of the Empire were successful in disabling the shields and either destroying or forcing the Imperial ship to retreat. Although a lone fighter could not hope to dent the shield, a combined attack focusing on a concentrated area of the ship could cause the shield to fail temporarily. This then left the ship vulnerable to attack. Perhaps the greatest weak spot in the shield system was the positioning of the shield generators. Perched on either side of the bridge, the giant globes were the highest feature of the entire ship - and an easy target. Rebel tactics would become focussed on targeting the generators, disabling the shield defences entirely.

Vader's Shield
    The shield system used aboard Darth Vader's Super Star Destroyer Executor was among the most powerful ever conceived for a warship. Prior to the Battle of Hoth, the Executor's shields protected the vessel from a collision with three Star Destroyers that had made an inaccurate hyperspace jump.
    The three ships were destroyed against the vessel's shields, while the Executor itself suffered no damage. During the Battle of Endor, repeated attempts to damage the Executor proved futile, until Admiral Ackbar ordered a strike against the vessel's shield generators. Without its shields, the mighty Super Star Destroyer was vulnerable to a single out-of-control fighter that ultimately brought about the vessel's destruction.

(sidebar 3)
    With the ship's power to protect itself being as much down to the function of its shield generators as its weapons, the domes were an obvious target for Rebel pilots in battle.

(sidebar 4)
    Some unlucky Rebel pilots got too clse to the powerful shields of the Star Destroyers at the Battle of Endor. On impact with the high-energy barrier, the smaller starfighters were completely obliterated.

(sidebar 5)
    With its shield generators hit, the Super Star Destroyer Executor could no longer protect itself against Rebel attacks - though ironically it was an Alliance craft that had lost control that ultimately brought about the demise of the iconic ship.

What catches my attention most, is the notion that shields cancel out - making a shielded ship more in danger from another shielded ship than from an unshielded one, in collisions. I would guess that when those three ships collided with the Executor immediately after an inaccurate jump, their shields were down - allowing the Executor to safely ward them off.

King of Alsakan likes this.
  5. seeker_two

Jan 3, 2003
    At the risk of heresy, I can see the "shields cancelling each other" thing working. In STAR TREK: GENERATIONS, the Klingons set their weapons to the same frequency as the ENT-D's shields. Shots went through like knives through butter. That's why you alter your frequency often.

Not surprised the Imps haven't figured it out already.....

6. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014

Single frequency shields have always seemed silly to me, not to mention they simply wouldn't work in the manner shown most of the time. It's a lazy way for writers to increase or decrease tension as needed (a prime example of my problems with ST worldbuilding), and IMO SW is better off without it.
    I really can't say I like the "shields cancel each other out" thing. I can't think of any instances that support it, but I can think of many that seem to contradict it, including the Executor incident - it's been said several times that being in hyperspace without shields would be disastrous or impossible, so why would three Star Destroyers exiting hyperspace all happen to have their shields down?

7. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Actually, the "Shields cancelling out" thing seems to be a reference to Black Fleet crisis, where two sets of shields created an interference zone where they overlapped.

Iron_lord likes this.
  8. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    There is likely a separate shielding system that protects you in hyperspace generated by the drive, then the actual combat shields which would only be up in battle because of the energy drain.

Iron_lord and Gamiel like this.
  9. seeker_two

Jan 3, 2003
    It would explain how shieldless TIE's can be modified for hyperspace travel....

Iron_lord likes this.
  10. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007

What If? was quite good. It definitely got me thinking with all of the off the wall stuff that's in there. The sci-fi/fantasy references were certainly a plus, never thought a mention of Kyp Durron and an explanation on the density of neutron star would intersect one day. ​

blackmyron likes this.
  11. A8T

A8T Jedi Master star 2

Jun 9, 2014
  12. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    If it does not appear on Wookieepedia, it does not exist.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  13. seeker_two

Jan 3, 2003
    Speaking of the Wook.....

Does anyone have stats on the Arquitens-class cruiser? Wook doesn't have anything to indicate its size or crew complement.

14. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    We never got any, though I guess that is now the norm with the canon wipe and no guide books for the foreseeable future.

15. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Speaking of ships not on the wook, anyone have any pictures of those two freighters that were always showing up in the background of TCW? They had some concept art on the site before, but not since the format changed.

16. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    These?
    [​IMG]

MercenaryAce likes this.
  17. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    April isn't forseeable?

18. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

:confused:

19. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    This. It says vehicles on the cover, seems like we might be getting some canon information.

20. seeker_two

Jan 3, 2003
    Interesting. I did not forsee that....

21. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It might just be a reprint of existing information, combined into one book.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  22. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Plus Rebels, which I imagine will get the lion's share of new material - much like the Databank.

23. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Yes, those are the ones. Thanks.

The second one is really interesting to me because it looks a lot like a bigger version of Grievous' fighter.

24. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    If you ask me, the first one looks like something, that could be out of StarTrek (hello Mr. Abrams), while the second resembles the Bat-Mobile from the Tim Burton-movies.

Do we have any idea, what kind of vessels the Judicials and PSF used during the time between the Ruusan-Reformations and the PT? Aside from Dreadnoughts, Arquitens and Consular-class cruisers?

King of Alsakan likes this.
  25. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007

I think we just have a lot of generalities. We have all of the experimental ship classes from EGTW, the dreadnoughts & battlecrusiers of the more powerful Core worlds per ICS & EGTW, maybe a Star Destroyer design from Grizmallt and whatever Kuat was making. Other than that, off the top of my head I guess we have ships made before Ruusan and Dreadnaught-class cruisers.