main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    The new HTTJ excerpt on the official site not only mentions Immobilizers, but also that gravity projectors are being installed on Star Destroyers, as well. Another re-canonization. :cool:

King of Alsakan and Mmmmm Napalm like this.
  2. seeker_two

seeker_two Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    I never liked the bulge at the bottom of a Star Destroyer being a reactor....way too vulnerable. Having it be a gravity-well projector makes more sense....esp. when you take into account the opening scene of ANH.....

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

3. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    Very interesting preview. Nice to see the Interdictor-class Star Destroyer back in the fold. I like how they go into a description of having to knock out the the ray and particle shields as well.

4. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    In case anyone is curious some random Fleet Junky stuff from Lords of Nal Hutta. Nal Hutta itself houses the major military shipyard for the Hutts building knock-off starfighters as well as Hutt military ships like the Dor’bulla class ship, though not given stats the implication is it is light cruiser ish.

Every Hutt clan is expected to contribute ships and crews for common defence and patrol duty (who formally stay under clan control, though who gets to run stuff if they are joined task forces is often a political battle). Currently Qunaalc controls a good third of the Hutt military, though they are not supposed to actually use it against other Hutts and even if they would other clans could easily match them by just supplementing their forces with mercs.

Heavy ships are usually kept in the Boonta Hutta and used to keep those areas save, mainly to avoid drawing the ire of the Empire, whilst patrols in the rest of Hutt spaces are local affairs with frigates and upgraded civilian designs purchased from across the galaxy (including Ubrikkian frigates, among them the new Kossak class).

Hutts will typically not be assigned to command warships (since they are mass produced and below Hutt standard, who of course want custom build ships for themselves), though might get to do it as punishment, if it is a political thing or if he or she is something of a “Warrior Hutt”. An example for a Hutt guard fleet is given for the Hutt Troonol who guards the trade route from Elgit to Varkl with a Dread called the Agrelcu Haalta supplemented by 9 corellian gun sips or similar vessels.

There might be more, but that is basicly what I spotted during a quick skim through.

5. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I believe there's also mention of the TIE manufacturing center orbiting Nar Shaddaa, from TFU.

6. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007

Any mention by chance of the Hutts using the Planechanga from EGTW? Any new historical tidbits about wars the Hutts were involved in?

7. seeker_two

Jan 3, 2003
    Is it an official Sienar factory or a knockoff site?

8. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    "Fledgling Imperial shipyard facility... focusing on TIE fighter construction."

9. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Sadly they are not mentioned as far as I could spot and no nothing really new on the Hutt wars of the past.

King of Alsakan likes this.
  10. Tied

Tied Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 18, 2013
    Rebels sure has a hard on for the Gozanti-class

11. Tied

Tied Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 18, 2013

Even assuming all the above is correct (sepies never built world devastators, agruably the most useful superweapon and the Tarkin Station could probably stand up to a few Y-wings based on its size alone compared to Malovence [face_skull]) the fact of the matter is, a Military with 30 or so years of technological development will have a MASSIVE advantage over the Separatists, espically due to the rate at which technology jumps in this universe its a arms gap that cant be ignored.

and if numbers arent everything then why would the 100 TIEs versus 500 vultures situation matter?

A: The Empire is without a doubt, a bigger state then the CIS

B: The Rebulic seemed to stand up to vultures, and they didnt even have the capale TIE platform of one of the Empire's many STRONK anti-fighter corvette designs for the job (tarten, lancer etc.)

Also, the Imperial navy was at a standstill against the Rebel Fleet due to the Unconvential style of warfare the Rebels used

In this Empire V Separatists Scenario the CIS would be smashed the moment it trys any sort of conventional warfare with the Empire

If anything a fleet as massive as the Separatists would be a disadvantage, making it even eaiser to track down (probably after they start to lose battle after battle with a technologically superior enemy)

If Ozzle, Piett, and Needa were the average Imperial commander i dont see how the Empire would be at a disadvantage. Other than Grevious once the driods stated doing the heavy-lifting for the CIS's military most of its commanders were driods

So to wrap this sleep deprivation induced lecture up

1: Numbers do matter if you are going to wage a conventional war with your enemy
    2: Having inferior numbers is bad, having inferior technology is awful, having inferior numbers and technology is a disaster. The CIS has no way to constipate
    3: If the Rare elite commander isnt to be taken into account, there is still no visible edge tatically for the CIS
    4: muh Tarkin Station
    5: EMPIRE STRONK
    [​IMG]

12. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

It is a really nice and simple looking design I have to give them that. ;)

13. seeker_two

Jan 3, 2003
    Reminds one of a smaller Consular-class cruiser in some respects.....

14. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    So did TCW. We got a Separatist version with blue markings and a modified one used as a Black Sun Frigate. I can see why they like it, it looks very OT-ish. In total, we have four versions, with the Imperial one and the C-ROC.

15. seeker_two

Jan 3, 2003
    1. The Empire was a larger state....but so was the Republic. And the Seppies remained a significant threat to them until Vader pulled the plug on the droids. The only advantage of significance that the Republic had was the Jedi....and the Empire only has one of those.

2. "The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force." See #1. Only took one Jedi fighter to take out the Death Star, but it took a fleet and a moon to kill Malevolence. Tarkin took less effort than that. And the Empire has less front-line Force users than that.

3. Numerical superiority is useless without good leadership. CIS was building better commanders than the Imperial Academy trained. (And if you think Ozzle & Needa are good commanders, remind me not to serve on your ship.)

4. If the Empire couldn't use its "advantages" to beat the Rebellion, how could it possibly beat the Seppie Fleet in a straight-up fight?

16. anotherdemon

anotherdemon Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 29, 2013
    Well, fleets of star destroyers do need command ships to lead them. :p Plus, it doesn't look like the Empire is actually running low on star destroyers around that time, whereas bigger stuff appears to be pretty rare in comparison (not that there'd be much to actually threaten the star destroyers in a straight up fight).

Elsewhere,

The ship Tagge is on appears to have a typical Imperial-style bridge.

RE: canon stuff,

I'm betting they'll re-canonize most of the ships from the old EU, as they're reusing them in droves when the stories call for ships. It's really only main story stuff that would be a problem in regards to conflicting with the new shows, movies and books. I think most of the important names have been re-canonized already.

King of Alsakan likes this.
  17. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Pretty much, although any post-ROTJ material is (naturally) up in the air. We'll see when the NEU books of that era come out.

18. seeker_two

Jan 3, 2003
    Well....what did you think of the first Rebel-Imperial fleet engagement?

19. Mmmmm Napalm

Mmmmm Napalm Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 6, 2014
    Brief? Nothing really happened, but I'm not too disappointed, knew they'd cheat us out of any significant engagement or lengthy Vader appearance.

20. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Pirates must love those ion bombs the Ghost crew uses. ;)

seeker_two likes this.
  21. Tervlon

Tervlon Jedi Knight

May 14, 2010
    It looks like the A-Wing's history is being changed from the Legends chronology and will be making an appearance in Rebels Season 2. The ship carrying them looks like a modified Clone Wars asset of which I can't remember its name.

[​IMG][​IMG]

22. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Iron_lord, Tervlon and darklordoftech like this.
  23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Wouldn't be the first time they were shown before Yavin. The EU resolved thisby making them a "precursor" - the R-22 Spearhead:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/R-22_Spearhead

They look like the McQuarrie A-Wing concept art:

only with an inverted color scheme in places.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  24. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Those A-Wings are missing the notch out in the nose.

25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I think this is on purpose, to make them look more McQuarrie-ish.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.