main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    True, but that doesn't really explain why they are so inconsistent on starship class names, but eerily consistent on many other things.

2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Guess your only option is to ask them.

3. JABoomer

JABoomer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2009
    The Anaxes War College System was originally out of WEG?

4. JABoomer

Oct 23, 2009
    Agree with you in principle. But didn't Lucasfilm essentially combined the WEG stats into the expanded universe when the ship stats ect. was used in literature such as the Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels? Thereby making at least some WEG stats canon (old canon)?

5. JABoomer

Oct 23, 2009
    I like the idea of the first batch of Mon Cals being retrofitted cruise/space liners (be it the MC80 or some previous ships). But I think they would have quickly started turning purpose built warships out of their shipyards.

It's the "every Mon Cal cruiser was unique" aspect that always drove me nuts, even after they were apparently producing purpose built warships. That's just a nightmare for training and maintenance.

seeker_two likes this.
  6. JABoomer

Oct 23, 2009
    Are you referring to the Anaxes system or was their some other "official terminology" classification system recently introduced?

7. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005

On the other hand it would also be a nightmare for enemy boarding teams or people escaping.

"We bust through this door and we should be in the armory."

"You sure?"

"Yeah."

"'Cuz last time you said that we ended up in the kitchen. And before that it was some guy's office."

TheRedBlade, JABoomer and Gamiel like this.
  8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I figured that, prior to the Anaxes system being introduced in TEGTW, Praetors were "officially" Star Battlecruisers since ICS said so.

9. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Pretty much, as it is a modification of the system introduced in the Rebel Alliance Sourcebook.

Iron_lord and JABoomer like this.
  10. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    The Anaxes System is wholly original, but uses both WEG, WOTC and other systems in a synthesis. That's why there's "frigate" and "Star Destroyer" from the movies, "light and heavy cruiser" from the WEG and "battlecruiser and dreadnought" back from pre-WEG days. With "battlecruiser" being the heaviest design in the WOTC system.

Yes, they were a designation by Kuat's own navy. Kuat then built the smaller Star Destroyers for the Republic in the CW.

The Calamari had pretty much their own thing going on: corvette - frigate - light cruiser - Star Cruiser.

King of Alsakan, Gamiel and JABoomer like this.
  11. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    They are unique in that each one has a different sounding alarm-klaxxon. ;)

JABoomer likes this.
  12. Armchair_Admiral

Armchair_Admiral Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    Amusingly enough, The Empire Strikes Back Sketchbook suggests that the film crew envisioned the GR-75 medium transport as having started out as a passenger liner. As far as I know, the later EU never ran with that idea, among others mentioned in the Sketchbooks.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  13. Darth Zack

Darth Zack Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    I've been giving some thought recently to the retcons pertaining to the chronology of the Clone Wars. Relating to this thread there are ships with mentions of the Clone Wars in relation to when they were developed. Like the Victory class Star Destroyer- mentioned as being developed towards the end of the Clone Wars except now the Clone Wars are more than a decade later. Seems kind of backwards to me. I think the Victory should have remained an older than 35 BBY design with the Acclamator and Venator being possibly newer designs. Then there's the whole Y-wing thing...

14. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Well there have been several GR-75es converted for passenger transport, as well as that either the Rebel Alliance Sourcebook or the Tramp Freighter Galaxy Guide (or maybe both, would need to check) that many Rebel Alliance freighters are indeed just repurposed passenger ships.

15. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

FFG have a good sense for what was decent in Legends, and what was crap. Hence why they use so much WEG...

16. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    We know the Victory Star Destroyer (predating FFG, introduced in Brian Daley's Han Solo Adventures series) - made it into the newcanon (Tarkin Novel).

Maybe, the Story Group will import some non-FFG stuff at their discretion?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  17. seeker_two

seeker_two Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    Not sure what you mean. The Y-Wing has had twenty years to evolve from the TCW design (heavy bomber) to the ANH version (multi-role assault fighter)....doesn't seem unreasonable. I see the ANH Y-Wing as a replacement for the ARC-170.

Iron_lord likes this.
  18. JABoomer

Oct 23, 2009
    Is that the new story? I haven't seen the Clone Wars television series. It's usually a lot easier to turn a dogfighter into a bomber than vice versa. I always liked the Y-Wing design...glad it kept popping up in the EU long after Endor.

That's also interesting because I always envisioned the aging Y-Wing transforming into a light bomber that could support the K-Wing in the later years of the NR and in the GA. With something new designed as a heavy starfighter / light assault fighter that would fill the void between the X-Wing and B-Wing, something like the ARC-170. Y-Wing comes full circle haha.

Iron_lord likes this.
  19. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Well all FFG's done is really kept the things which aren't controversial per se - planets, organisations, and ships. Not people (not officially, despite art of Niles Ferrier or Dash Rendar). Stuff that doesn't open itself to contradiction, such as Droids vs ROTJ A-Wings. So it's possible that SG will be influenced by their work, yes.

The latest Order 66 podcast, btw, has the hosts build a Commodore character each, put them in command of Nebulon B, and simulate Neb B on Neb B combat.

20. anotherdemon

anotherdemon Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 29, 2013
    Sorta related:

I like how the guns on the ISD in the fan TIE Fighter anime short were depicted.

The main turrets, plus internal Death Star 1-type crewed guns for the multitude that we can't see (which fits with TCW and RotS and the Republic attack cruisers).

Disney should hire them to make a full anime film IMO. Pure action space pew pew.

seeker_two and King of Alsakan like this.
  21. JABoomer

Oct 23, 2009
    I also liked the ion cannons mounted on the hull. Excellent!

Question about those internally mounted turbolasers seen in the animation that are similar to those seen aboard the first death star. Does the barrel protrude outside of the hull through some sort of force field, or is the barrel completely inside the hull and the bolt passes through a force field?

King of Alsakan likes this.
  22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Star Wars Armada has finally come out in some shops (possibly slightly early.)

First impressions on seeing the ships in person - they're surprisingly big. The Nebulon-B is 9 cm long, comparable to a cruiser in the Battlefleet Gothic game - and the Victory is larger - more like a battleship.

23. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    Sounds great, can only imagine what the ISD will look like in person then. I was hoping for amazon would post up the individual ships soon. Guess I will have to hunt them down in person.

Iron_lord likes this.
  24. JABoomer

Oct 23, 2009
    Would you mind giving me a brief rundown on how this game is played?

Nm, found a youtube demo. Interesting.

25. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014
    If they introduce a Vigil-class Corvette I will give them all my money.
    [​IMG]
    My longest-running SW RPG campaign worked their way up to owning one of these and stocking it with A-Wings as operatives for NR Intelligence. It made an awesome home base.

The other must-have, which I could easily see coming with the next wave, is the Customs Corvette.
    [​IMG]
    Just a beautiful design, a really useful size Imp ship, and something that has a clear useful role in-universe.

There's a really good primer here under 'support' and 'rules', as well as some great preview articles on movement, attacks, fleets, objectives, and fighters.
    I don't think I'll be able to easily and quickly explain it until I've played it quite a bit. FFG games can be subtle like that, but their documentation is very helpful!