main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    The Gozanti is just as old as the Consular and the Empire has corvettes, which also look like the Consular. Your argument isn't really valid.

2. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    Something I never understood is why in some examples they banned things like the old Republic anthem. Wouldn't they have kept them as to keep up the patriotic spirit? The Empire is a '2.0' of the Republic according to it's propaganda, but in some cases it makes it seem like it beat the Republic in a war and conquered it, which isn't the case. It's like Hitler banning Deutschland Uber Alles from being played.

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe it's like in Animal Farm where Napoleon bans "Beasts of England" after a while in power - when it was the anthem of the revolution that got him into power in the first place.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    You know, that post battle boasting really doesn't make any sense except for setting up dramatic irony when the Espirion Multi runs into a SSD. I mean, otherwise the empire just needs more ships not bigger ones per say, not to mention they should know about the Death Star and thus the empire's capability for building really big things.

Abadacus likes this.
  5. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    It does if the Empire is far stretched with its forces. It's what the Empire struggled with in Legends. And in the new canon we still have Mon Calamari being a safe haven with no imminent assault waiting.

6. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Which new canon source lists Mon Cal as a safe haven?

--Adm. Nick

7. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Simple answer is that its government, its often contradictory, especially when the Empire is a giant scam pulled by Palpatine on the galaxy. The Empire is also supposed to be a "better" version of the Republic, so anything they don't feel like keeping (laws, old anthem, justice) is thrown out as old. One reason Venators were phased out was their reputation as "Jedi cruisers" from the Clone Wars. Though I could also see Palpatine hiding some away as backup fleets (though only Crimson Empire III used that idea, and that series wasn't that great, unfortunately).

In old Legends EU, a lot of the tech in X-wings and such was probably available (shields, hyperdrive, life-support), especially since it was on Clone Wars-era fighters (Y-wings for instance). But those kinds of things weren't necessary for a carrier-based fighter like the TIE, so the Empire didn't bother with them. Partially a matter of quantity over quality, and because after the Separatist powers fell apart, there wasn't that much to seriously challenge the Empire, and that would require starfighters rather than Star Destroyers.

But then the Rebellion starts fielding X-wings, develops A-wings and B-wings and then the Empire starts coming up with more advanced TIE designs, whereas before only someone like Vader (or the Inquisitor in Rebel, I guess) got special TIEs. The Interceptor, experimental designs like the Phantom and then the Defender.

I always thought the Rebellion could only field a few starfighters here and there (with Endor being the exception of course, as that was everything the Rebellion had), and most of the time they were up against Star Destroyers, so that's still a huge disadvantage. I liked the idea that the Rebellion's newer fighters were intended to be partially higher quality and meant to be more independent, which suited the Rebellion's hit and run tactics. We've had years of retcons on exactly where and when the Rebellion should start getting more established (TFU unfortunately being one of the more prominent and stupid versions of events), but that's all up in the air with Rebels currently active.

seeker_two likes this.
  8. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    The Gozanti was being used by someone on a miserable backwater and in all likelyhood not new in TPM. The Consular was being used by important republic Ambassadors. And I don't think its good PR to use ships that half the smugglers in the galaxy seem to use. Didn't the seperatist's use them? And the Shadow collective/Black sun....

9. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    The Rebel Alliance page on the Official Databank, which was not only revamped post-EU purge, but also continues to be updated. Mon Cala's and the Mon Calamari's affiliations also include the Rebel Alliance on their respective pages. It doesn't say "safe haven", but it's a location of the Rebel Alliance, a more cosmopolitan world than Hoth and Yavin. I assume Ultimate SW says something similar, but I haven't read it.

Also, a funny thing about the updates is that they aren't visible unless you type in a specific word in the address. There's dozens of EU worlds added like that, but with no canon image, only a brief text explaining their relation to something.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  10. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Quote, please? I'm not seeing anything like this on the Rebel Alliance entry.

11. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    blackmyron

In the "Locations" section of the Rebel Alliance entry, it lists Mon Cala alongside Yavin Four, Hoth, and Echo Base. Basically, the implication is that Mon Cala is a Rebel world, which is accurate in both the old & new canon. The Mon Cala entry lists the Rebel Alliance under the "Affiliations" section, tying the world to the Alliance in a formal manner. Ditto the Mon Calamari entry as well, which refers to the species as "one of the key species of the Rebellion".

Considering that they were able to donate their entire Starfleet to the Alliance, it does imply a solid & safe industrial base on Mon Cala. My gut says that the idea of the Mon Cals overthrowing their Imperial oppressors sometime prior to the Battle of Endor (which is implied in the Databank) is still canon, though I imagine the placement will definitely be pre-Yavin, as Ackbar being an admiral in the Princess Leia comic implies that the Mon Cals have already signed up for the Rebellion and donated their fleet.

--Adm. Nick

Iron_lord likes this.
  12. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Another cool aspect is in Tarkin, we have a Mon Cal "cruise liner" already in service. I'm just hoping for a clarification about their capital city being a collection of ships. ;)

13. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    No, I saw all that. And I don't disagree with the entry implying it (although 'safe haven with no imminent assault waiting' was not how it was in Legends). I was hoping that the Databank might actually risk providing information beyond the movies and shows and just come out and say it - like the old Databank.
    Also: still no entries on the capital ships from ROTS? Even the Invisible Hand? :rolleyes:

14. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    The Databank lacks so much stuff it is sad. The Nebulon-B frigate doesn't have an entry and the "Alderaan Cruiser" doesn't even mention that they appeared in Return of the Jedi as part of the Rebel Fleet.

--Adm. Nick

15. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Well, it's been clear for a while that it's really been geared towards Rebels and Clone Wars - and even then, they don't provide much other than to sum up what appeared in the shows.

16. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    No wonder the databank is keeping quiet. I doubt they want to publish something that could get contradicted by Rebels.

17. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    At least they are drawing info from the canon books as well, just look at Tarkin's bio, it's like a mini-synopsis of the novel.

18. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Yeah, but they are missing stuff from the Original Trilogy. Ships, characters, weapons, species, etc. It is a damned shame. I miss the old Databank a lot, even if large parts aren't canon anymore.

--Adm. Nick

King of Alsakan and blackmyron like this.
  19. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Clearly to ugly for the Databank, the Jedi Cruiser is already optical blight enough ;) Though they did include this one at least
    http://www.starwars.com/databank/separatist-dreadnought

20. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    ?!?

From now on, I'm just going to start ignoring you whenever you talk about ship aesthetics.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  21. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

What just because all the new Ep3 are really just that ugly? :p

22. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    The Providence-class looks like a nice dirigible and sounds that way, too.

Vthuil likes this.
  23. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I quite like most the Ep III designs. Except the Naboo royal skiffs.

24. anotherdemon

anotherdemon Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 29, 2013
    Think a new ICS is coming out for TFA.

25. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    By Jason Fry, even. :)