main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Hope we get a cross section of that crashed SSD! And a fixed (larger) size for the Home One (if it is still around)

Mange and King of Alsakan like this.
  2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I'd say some of the ships in the old ICS, having already been contradicted by newer material, are due an update. The Falcon springs to mind (it's not 27-odd m long), and the A-wing and TIE are drawn smaller than would fit with Rebels.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  3. anotherdemon

anotherdemon Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 29, 2013
    +1 for a mention of the Executor-class in the least. A name would be good, along with possible numbers built.

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  4. anotherdemon

Apr 29, 2013
    The A-Wing and TIE Fighter in Rebels appear to be different models, though.

5. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The wings of the TIE are. But (based on the Databank and its resizing of the "standard" TIE from 6.4m to 8.99m) I would guess that the ball cockpit on the standard TIE is the same as that on the Lothal TIE - it's just that the Incredible Cross Sections version is undersized.

[​IMG]

In the same way - the cross-section for the A-Wing is based on the assumption that it's more like 4.8m than 9.6m - despite the Databank using 9.6m as the length.

[​IMG]

I figure that the difference between the Rebels A-wing and the ROTJ A Wing has to do with engines and guns - not length - and a new cross-section would work better.

6. anotherdemon

Apr 29, 2013
    The A-Wing is closer to 4-5 meters, though. Even the Rebels version.

And the cockpit ball from the OT TIE might be markedly different than the one in Rebels. I haven't seen any comparisons done.

All four should be given proper scaling based on what's shown in the films/shows for their respective ICS book, and they should be treated as separate but similar designs. Just like the Y-Wing in TCW compared to the OT.

7. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    What's shown in the films varies. The Falcon is an obvious example - some models suggest an 80ft Falcon, some suggest a Falcon of 120ft or so.

The 8.99m TIE length was the one used in the X-wing Miniatures game (I measured the model and that's about right given the 1:270 scale) - and in the back of the rulebook - it says they went right back to the original studio models to check the scale. I think it was at some point shortly after the game came out that the Databank revised the TIE Fighter.

It'd be interesting if the 9.6m A-Wing length had been worked out from going back to the studio models in ROTJ (ones used for the flight into the Death Star, where X-wings, A-Wings, and the Falcon all are seen together, from the outside) and worked it out from that. I know it was the figure West End Games came up with, at least - but I'd like to know if it's at all consistent with any of the models.

8. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Honestly, sci-fi series of all kinds have always tended towards inconsistency in scaling ships. Star Wars probably isn't as bad about it as some others, but the idea that it can just be easily determined by looking at the films is a myth.

blackmyron, Gamiel and Gorefiend like this.
  9. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Yup. Even using models, one ends up having to pick and choose, to choose the "best" of several different sizes.

That's probably how we got the 34.75m Falcon in the first place. I'm wondering if the "full scale Falcon" for Episode VII will be about that size.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  10. anotherdemon

Apr 29, 2013
    Depends.

If they use the same scales for say, fighters, then you can reasonably assume the size is based on an easily identifiable part, say the pilot's head.

Now, if they use various scales for the same, to mimic distance, then it's harder to get an accurate figure.

Star Wars has been pretty consistent with ships in comparison to other ships (Death Star II being where it's not consistent, as a good example), and errors from external sources have been the biggest nuisance overall.

11. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
  12. StrikerKOJ

StrikerKOJ Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2014
    I know this thread is aimed at Capital Ship discussion, but I figured you brains would be best able to answer this question.

In ESB, when Captain Needa looses the Falcon, and goes to apologize to Vader, what kind of shuttle was it that flew between the two Destroyers? It wasn't a Lambda. I was thinking a DX-9, but it looks like it has some TIE style side panels. Was it ever (un)officialy designated or was it just a throwaway prop?

The more I look at it the more it looks like the panels from a Bomber or Advanced.

13. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Literally, a TIE Shuttle. It's not named yet in the new canon, but that's the name it had in Legends. It was just a reuse of the bomber model. They made a profile on it where the bomb bay was turned into a passenger bay.

14. StrikerKOJ

StrikerKOJ Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2014
    Yeah I pieced that together in my head and then felt stupid when that is exactly what it was. Thanks for the hasty response.

15. anotherdemon

Apr 29, 2013
    Yeah, a cool looking ship. Kinda suits its owner, really (perhaps a black hull).

Looks like a Minbari design.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  16. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Despite the name, this thread is about really everything in the GFFA that is self propelled. A focus on capital ships, fleets, and starfighters, but I recall discussions of ground vehicles, doctrine, and economics of production/shipbuilding methods as well. So welcome, and feel free to ask away/contribute.

On the Lando ship: looks less mimbari and more like a Silviut Corporation design- black, curved insectile-organic shape.

Also that is a relatively low-tech or old station, if it is built to rely on rotational gravity.

17. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    Nothing ground breaking, but here is Phoenix Home:

[​IMG]

18. chris1982

chris1982 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 17, 2015
    Crew of 200? The databank states a crew of 900. What's the correct number?

19. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    200 actually sounds more likely, with the 900 people capacity, but I guess we are back to the good old days of no one fact checking ship stuff ;)

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    These are the old days man, the bad days, the all-or-nothing days. They're back!

21. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    what source is that any way? I thought these were the databank?

22. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    https://www.facebook.com/starwarsrebels

23. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

J-type star skiff?
    That one is just...weird to me. It's like a giant manta ray with engines :p

24. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Though still better than the half-finished kit bash things and multi tower monstrosities otherwise in Ep3.

25. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Gorefiend I'll take the Separatist Dreadnought and Venator-class (both of which you mentioned earlier).
    For the Venator, I sincerely do not mind the general shape. However, it seriously boggles my mind that they need a command bridge sticking up that high. Of course the raised area protects the main reactor, but the bridge rises far above that.
    As for the Dreadnought, I agree. It's like someone just sat there and said "stick this here...and this here...ooh! And this will look cool!" It needs the bow rounded, the observation platform lowered, the shield generator moved, and someone to get rid of the clutter. IMO, so much that could be changed to make it look better.

If we're talking about looking good, I'd much rather be caught flying in the J-type skiff than a Separatist Dreadnought. But I'd take the Jedi cruiser over the J-type any day :p