main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Yeah, the New Order Star Destroyer looks like a cross between the Imperial Star Destroyer and the Republic Star Destroyer, with a side-hangar, a ventral bulge and then some new bits on the upper dorsal portion. It's got a platform like the Malevolence gun platforms and the tower doesn't look the same T-shape as the original. Then there's the bow fin that makes it look more like a sea-going ship.

2. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I'm very interested to learn more, personally, about the Galaxy-wide offensive that the Alliance launches post-Yavin. Mentioned by Admiral Ackbar in the Marvel series, directly shown in the upcoming Battlefront novel. The question in my mind is whether in New Canon the Rebels actually had more success than the movies directly showed. Or, on the other hand, they overstepped during the offensive and had to, by the time of TESB, fall back.

--Adm. Nick

darklordoftech and TheRedBlade like this.
  3. anotherdemon

anotherdemon Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 29, 2013
    IIRC, it talks about an attack on the Kuat shipyards, right? That'd probably be a decent undertaking no matter how they went about it.

I'm guessing, from an in-universe perspective, they have quite a bit of help from ex-CIS forces.

4. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Here's some info from the novel excerpt: They did take worlds in the Mid Rim, but when the Empire counterattacked, they were pushed back towards the Outer Rim again. As of 18 months after Yavin, Twilight Company are reluctant to leave, but being ordered to pack up and leave Haidoral Prime.

5. CaptainPeabody

CaptainPeabody Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 15, 2008
    I like that idea quite a bit. It gives more meaning and impact to the victory at Yavin, as well as to The Empire Strikes Back. It also makes the Galactic Civil War a little more of, well, a war. Good show.

darklordoftech and Vthuil like this.
  6. Tied

Tied Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 18, 2013
    Whats the point of calling it a Battlefront novel other than name recognition?

7. Tied

Tied Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 18, 2013

Rats!

now i have to buy the thing

Tzizvvt78 likes this.
  8. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    They'll probably use the same gear we see in the games. The rebel troops have some extra stuff like rocket packs and other equipment beyond what we see in the movies. Plus, there's some new Stormtroopers.

darklordoftech likes this.
  9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do anybody know what happened to Luke's ship Jedi Explorer, Jedi Explorer II and Shadow Chaser?

10. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    My guess is bad continuity.

On that note, Nien Numb's Mellcrawler is in the new Leia novel (the cover at least). *transmedia strategy intensifies*

11. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
  12. seeker_two

seeker_two Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    Maybe this isn't the place, but.....

Has anyone here tried the STAR WARS Battlepod game at Dave and Buster's?

As game mechanics go, it's no X-WING ALLIANCE; but it's a fun game. And I was impressed at how useful snowspeeders were against TIE fighters. And that Vader's TIE could make short work of a Nebulon-B and the Millennium Falcon. Maybe this is what Filloni had in mind in the recent REBELS episode. It's also a great ship-watching opportunity.

Note to the big guys: The Empire didn't have Wookies in mind when they built her....

13. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Actually, looking at it... the dorsal superstructure is practically identical to that on an Imperial Star Destroyer. It's just that instead of trenches the lower hull juts out a bit for more area to mount bigger weapons, there's a ram like protrusion from the front (reminds me a bit of the Sovereign and Eclipse), and the bridge tower has been lowered to reduce the overall silhouette. In short... it looks like someone decided to take the ISD and make it more survivable and suitable for all out naval brawls.

Hmm... you know destroyer is a shortening of 'Torpedo Boat Destroyer'... I wonder how Kuat came up with Star Destroyer... makes me think the original concept was 'Starship Destroyer' and they called it a 'Star Destroyer' for marketing reasons... then the bigger ships started coming out and we get the whole Star Battlecruiser and Star Dreadnought from the Anaxes War College.

14. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    I must say I really liked the Millennium Falcon: Owner's Workshop Manual which pegged the Falcon at 34.37 meters. It's really a gorgeous book though some parts are Legacy now. The Death Star: Owner's Workshop Manual was good but not as good in my opinion as they shrunk the DSI back to 120 km (despite a late McQuarrie sketch, that was available at Hyperspace when that was around, which pegged the DS at 92 miles (~148 km) in diameter with the equatorial trench being one mile tall). Still, I would very much like the authors to do an ISD one...

Looking forward to learn more about the TFA ISD! :)

15. Tied

Tied Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 18, 2013
    Speaking of star fighters

the Tie Hunter has to be one of the most impressive ships physically of the TIE series
    [​IMG]

Ion canons, Shields and a hyper drive in that size is definitely a feat of enginering

16. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    It also literally breaks apart after 3 hits.

17. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Tavira's "clutch ugly" TIE fighter design managed to fit an ion cannon and a shield onto a TIE, but not a hyperdrive.

However, ordinary TIEs have been upgraded to have hyperdrives before - Jaina does so in the first Young Jedi Knights book.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  18. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Some Clutch Fighters could also be fitted with Hyperdirves afaik Corran had one for a while that had one salvaged from a refitted Headhunter, until one of his fellow Invids stole the fighter.

Tim Battershell and Iron_lord like this.
  19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    do we know what ship this is?
    [​IMG]

20. A8T

A8T Jedi Master star 2

Jun 9, 2014
    Gamiel likes this.
  21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do there exist any deckplans for 'Red Dwarf' or Starbug?

22. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    We're only a few months away from books & comics like Aftermath & Shattered Empire. I know the old thread's been a bit quiet of late, I have a hunch things will get very active soon. :D

I'm really hoping we get some good shots of the Rebel Fleet in Shattered Empire. I'm also very curious to see how the NEU handles the expansion & growth of the fleet post-Endor. It would also be great to see Mon Cala expanded on, since our new canon knowledge of it is actually pretty limited for this period.

--Adm. Nick

seeker_two and Darth Zack like this.
  23. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Hello All.

Hope everyone is well.

AdmiralNick22 and Gorefiend like this.
  24. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    THE EMPIRE IS VICTORIOUS ON ALL FFG FRONTS!

GOZANTI CRUISER
    TIE ADVANCED V1
    RETURN TO HOTH IMPERIAL ASSAULT

25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012