main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    So is he the son of the weapons dealer from crystal crisis?

2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    King of Alsakan and Tzizvvt78 like this.
  3. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Very nice! But I seem to recall these were fanmade. Cool, but fan-made. They've been around for some years, now.

Btw, anyone playing Commander, can you confirm the CR20 and CR25 troop carriers are in the game? The Strix is listed on Wookieepedia as a modified CR20, which I suspected. :)

4. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    very cool, I hope FFG makes a version of the Praetor-class for Armada.

5. King of Alsakan

Nov 25, 2007
    Official Rebels pic of the repurposed AT-TE:

[​IMG]

6. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    I like how complex they made it. All those moving parts and pieces.

King of Alsakan likes this.
  7. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I love how one of the legs seems to have just gotten primer and never got a finished coat of paint.

How big a table do you have at home? I doubt it'd fit considering the size of the ISD.

8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I figured that, just as with the CR-90 compared to the ISD, the models would not be to scale with one another.

9. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012

Well they don't scale... but considering how big the ISD is, the Praetor-class would be 20-50% bigger then that (instead of more than twice), but that's still huge.

10. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Which only makes me want an Executor-class.

Incidentally I'm still rather pleased the ImpStar Deuce made it into new canon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm wondering what the differences between the two (in weaponry, etc) will be defined as being.

The ships in Rebels are Imperial I's, and look like they have the same gun batteries as the Avenger model (which the ImpStar Deuce in Shattered Empire is modelled on) - what makes them look different - is the bridge tower (long neck, taller array between domes).

So maybe, in the newcanon, the Imperial I and the ImpStar Deuce will have the same number and type of weapons - but the ImpStar Deuce's weapons are more advanced, or something like that.

12. King of Alsakan

Nov 25, 2007
    A very scaled down version of a Praetor or Executor would be just fine in my book. FGG is the best hope for pretty nice quality Star Wars ships, especially ones they would never consider making in the Hasbro produced lines.

13. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012
    I think that you'll find that ascribing appearance traits as coming from Rebels to be a mistake. Those ISDs don't even have notches in the trenches along their sides.

The thing with armament is that I think that the ISDs, like all major ships in modern navies, have their armament continually tweaked and changed. The octuple batteries that the ISD mark II has could be modular, so an ISD could have the same armament fitted in that hardpoint. Maybe the ISD with the octuple batteries was a common 'field' modification for Imperial ships that commonly faced smaller faster foes, while the heavily armored turrets that the ANH Star Destroyer has were meant more for ships that fought in capital ship slugging matches. Then Kuat Drive Yards starts to produce that design (with some further upgrades and tweaks) as the Imperial II-class, while keeping the Imperial I-class in production as a ship for engaging other Star Destroyer (or larger) class ships.

14. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Or the Octal batteries were an upgrade, but caused more drain on the ships systems than intended, so the newer ISD II had a more powerful reactor as the main difference, rather than external fittings which were more modular and linked to "flights" of ISD production rather than the ISD I vs II subclass.

15. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It's certainly possible that some differences are stylistic - question is whether all of them are.

Or the double-barrelled guns are the upgrade, and the octet the standard model.

16. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    The problem with using the tower to make out a difference, is that the new canon already forgot this lesson from Rebels/ANH and have ISDs all look the same in the comics, with SE having the ISD-II identified by... something. But the comic just shows the underside of the ship and it looks just like any other Imperial-class Star Destroyer. :p

17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Actually, you can just about make out the bridge tower in at least one shot - and it's Avenger-ish rather than Rebels-ish - in part III, at least:

18. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I'm going to just come out and say that my hopes for the new canon finally creating an easy-to-follow distinction between the Imperial-I and Imperial-II ISDs are... not very high.

Abadacus and Admiral Volshe like this.
  19. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    I love that this thread is nearly 17k posts long. It brings a tear....

Also, trusting separate comic artists to render a defined object in the same way is a fool's game.

20. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Don't forget this is our second thread. The first has an additional 10k posts.

But hey, we're Fleet Junkies. A lot of posts comes with the territory. So does rehashing 100x over the same topics. :p

FLEET JUNKIES, HO!! [face_flag]

--Adm. Nick

21. King of Alsakan

Nov 25, 2007
    Rebels AT-AT, rear dorsal twin laser turret, is that new? Would make sense. I hope we get some more new walkers and repulsor tanks in the new canon. I know fractal has made a few cool ones as of late.

[​IMG]

darklordoftech likes this.
  22. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Yep since it is a different version then the ones at Hoth and more closely based on old concept art.

23. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Filoni and co confirm it is a new version in the latest Rebels Recon, made before the one in the movies. And it's bigger, like 25 or 26 m tall.

24. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Not like the Empire to downsize. Maybe they were too unstable at that height, or the weight put too much stress on the legs.

Come to think of it, I wonder what kind of dropships they used for walkers this big.

25. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    The Theta is back in Commander, with added thrusters. I assume that's what they use. I'd like to see a landing barge in Rebels, though.