main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Just a nitpick, it doesn't have "-class" in the name. The name has class, just not -class. :p

2. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    It's corvette sized, so I guess that designation makes more sense. Plus "cruiser" is a generic that everything is called it at least once. :p

--Adm. Nick

3. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Cruiser as the civilian term for a very large personal transport?
    Transport as the general usage term for what the ship is usually used for.
    Corvette as the actual military designation in the Anaxes War College system.

4. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    I think cruiser as "generic warship".
    Also, anything transporting cargo, like what they did in the episode, gets called a "transport".
    Btw, I'm surprised the AT-ATs got a good showing despite getting pummeled every other second.

King of Alsakan likes this.
  5. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Not just military ships - the Queen's ship is referred to as a cruiser, as is the family ship in the Ewok movies.

Given the meaning of "cruise" I wouldn't be surprised if cruiser referred to any hyperdrive capable ship that carried enough supplies for an extended mission.

Iron_lord likes this.
  6. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    The more interesting question is, is Admiral Giel's battleship now a Corellian design or still a Praetor-II-class battlecruiser made by KDY? And does the class even exist in the NuCanon?

7. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    To be honest, I was really hoping that they'd borrow the Thranta-class designation from TOR, and it to be established that the same basic design was constantly modernised and updated over the centuries to become Alderaan's Thranta-class war cruiser established by WEG. I mean, I wasn't expecting them to implicitly spell out such a long, canon-heavy legacy. Just imply it with a Thranta-class name and an Alderaanian princess delivering the ships.

8. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I love the Imperial Lieutenant's comment about Alderaan losing so many ships to the Rebels. It points to a few facts:

1. Alderaan, despite the comment from ANH, isn't entirely defenseless.
    2. That the early Rebel fleet's main acquisitions probably came through "theft" arranged by sympathetic members in the Senate.
    3. That PSF's do exist, as those Alderaanian ships are distinct from the Imperial Navy.

I'm curious to see how they factor in the Quasar Fire-class carrier. Another "theft"? A purchase made with Rebel funds? A vessel captured in battle?

--Adm. Nick

Gorefiend and King of Alsakan like this.
  9. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    I so hope we get the Hammerhead as minis for Armada. That would make my day.

10. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    As micro machines, please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheRedBlade and King of Alsakan like this.
  11. A8T

A8T Jedi Master star 2

Jun 9, 2014
    Everything seems to be decribed as cruiser in Star Wars. Could it be a corvette that has been converted into a transport after being retired from service?

King of Alsakan likes this.
  12. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    I meant "cruiser" when talking about a warship with guns, which these had.

13. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Yeah, I've always assumed that "cruiser" is a generic shorthand for any armed warship. I'm still hoping that the Hammerhead corvette is in fact a Hammerhead-class corvette, but mostly because it just sounds so cool. Heck, if our creative friends behind Rebels are mining old sources for starships, I'm all for reintroducing the Inexpungable-class command ship into canon. Heck, in my own head canon, Alderaan has several Inexies as part of it's PSF, commanding task forces of Hammerhead-class corvettes. ;)

--Adm. Nick

Tzizvvt78 and King of Alsakan like this.
  14. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    A most excellent idea.:) It would be great to see PSF's like that in action. At least there was the Espirion Multi in the comics, and its about time it had some Alderaanian sister ships out there as well.

15. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
  16. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Without even using the words "Planetary Security Forces" in the episode, it clearly makes the case for them and shows they exist. It's great how the Imperial Lieutenant notes that Alderaan's ships are "stolen" so frequently at this point. Alderaan, which opposes the Empire at this point in it's own, subtle way, gets the best of both worlds. It can provide warships to the Rebels while a the same time arguing in the Senate that the Empire is too weak to protect it's ships, which only further adds to the Rebellion's strength. I just loved this episode and have watched it two more times and like it even more.

--Adm. Nick

17. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007

I love Fractal's work, and he's done a lot to sell me on a more maximalist position than I had a few years ago. However, this one doesn't feel like Star Wars. We've never seen ships with external magcon bubbles like this, or anything really comparable.

18. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    Actually, that's Fractal's rendering of the Field Secured Container Vessel from WEG, which appeared a couple of times, including in the woefully underrated Black Ice. He's reproduced it as is, albeit with substantially greater detail.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Field_Secured_Container_Vessel

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Black_Ice

On a side note, the Wookieepedia article on the FSCV uses Fractal's image. Has that been reprinted in a canon source somewhere, or has someone accidentally mistaken it as an official image due to Fractal's previous work in EGTW?

Gorefiend likes this.
  19. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    I have failed.
    [​IMG]

MercenaryAce likes this.
  20. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Funny how there's been a slip in Wookieepedia's quality control recently. Is it the TFA fatigue?

ShanOffirin and TheRedBlade like this.
  21. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    I guess that is how Leia can claim with a straight face Alderaan was a peaceful planet with no weapons, despite all their ships having gun turrets on them. They let the Rebel Alliance steal them all. :p

Vthuil and darklordoftech like this.
  22. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012

I always love seeing his models. I'm also glad I finally have an image to attach to the KDY-Evakamar Corps Transport ships, fanon though it may be.

23. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012
    Anyone else starting to get the feeling that the Pride of Tarlandia may have been something like a variant or predecessor to the Allegiance-class? The description they give make it sound a bit like a Tector-class, since it apparently doesn't have a reactor bulge. Which got me thinking that the ship could be something like a 'Tector-class' for the Allegiance-class design.

24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Having a cargo bay big enough to fly into, for reactor-hitting (at least with the assumption that the ROTJ novelization's description of the "communications ship destruction" is being kept), does suggest that it's got some differences from the Tector and the Allegiance.

If it is synonymous with the "multi-bridged star destroyer" - can anyone estimate how big that tower is, given the known length of the Falcon?

25. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    It had hangars in the novel.