main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    King of Alsakan likes this.
  2. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Oh wow it looks great! Is this canon?

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    We don't know yet. Somebody's paying for it, and I have my hopes that it's Lucasfilm or Fantasy Flight Games - but it's possible that it's just an "ordinary" fan that commissioned the piece rather than a company.

4. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Check out the Rogue One trailer... there is some Fleet Junkie goodness at the end! :D

--Adm. Nick

King of Alsakan and Gorefiend like this.
  5. boomx2sjk

boomx2sjk Jedi Master star 2

Nov 9, 2012
    So we have Mon Cal cruisers and a sizable Rebel fleet prior to Episode IV in nucanon. Is this a departure from old canon? Or was it merely "offscreen" in old canon?

6. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Never made much sense how the rebels were "too well-equipped" in the old canon. At least now, they're paying attention to the first film.

Also, Luke: "Where you on a star cruiser or a..." when he questions C-3PO.

7. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    To be fair, even the old EU had Mon Cal cruisers in the Rebel Fleet pre-Yavin. See old X-wing game, EGTW, various early stories, etc.

I for one LOVE that we are seeing the Rebel Fleet in RO. This would be an instance where the Rebels would risk their fleet, plus it shows that it takes a Death Star to bring the fleet out of hiding.

--Adm. Nick

CaptainPeabody and boomx2sjk like this.
  8. chris1982

chris1982 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 17, 2015
    I think I spotted the Hammerhead cruiser from "Rebels" in the fleet shot

9. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    There are two Hammerhead-class corvettes in the trailer. Nice tie-in to Rebels, plus it further confirms that Alderaan had a lot of these surplus warships (probably in their PSF) that they either donated to the Rebels outright or allowed to be "captured". ;)

I didn't see a MC80 Star Cruiser in the trailer, but we know one appears thanks to the Rogue One Micro Machines sets. :D

--Adm. Nick

King of Alsakan likes this.
  10. JABoomer

JABoomer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2009
    I'm wondering what everyone else is looking at. The only ships I can POSITIVELY identify in the trailer are two Nebulon-B-class frigates. There's shapes that could be GR-75-class medium transports, one shape that could be a Liberty-class Mon Cal cruiser, other than that nothing is clear enough for identification to me.

11. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    You obviously aren't a seasoned Fleet Junkie. We are used to looking at small images and identifying them. :p

[​IMG]

Check out the ship in the upper right, above the X-wing. Compare it to this:

[​IMG]

You'll notice the engine pods and bow are identical. Also, in this shot, you can tell the ovoid ships are GR75's, note the open down and the cargo pods. The CR90 corvettes look kinda blocky at this angle, due to the engines.

--Adm. Nick

12. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    What happened to:

"It is civil war. The Rebellion which attacks from a secret base has won its FIRST victory against the evil Galactic Empire. ... ."

13. Cracian_Thumper

Cracian_Thumper Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2015

I didn't see anything in there that contradicted the opening crawl. And it did say "Rebel spaceships, striking from a hidden base, have won their first victory against the evil Galactic Empire." If anything, that trailer makes it seem more like the opening crawl.

Gorefiend and AdmiralNick22 like this.
  14. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Umm... you do realize that this IS there first victory against the Empire, right? That is the whole premise of Rogue One, it's built on the opening crawl of ANH.

--Adm. Nick

15. JABoomer

Oct 23, 2009
    I've done my fair share. I think you are seeing what you want to see to some extant. I'll concede the Hammerhead, why is it maneuvering on a 90 degree heading from the rest of the fleet?

What do you think the large ship on the far top-right is?

Where are the boxy shapes you think may be Corellian corvettes?

16. Cracian_Thumper

Cracian_Thumper Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2015

I'd say there's one at the back of the Rebel convoy, and another over the central X-Wing's upper port laser cannon. And possibly two more between those two, mixed in with the GR-75s.

17. JABoomer

Oct 23, 2009
    Ya okay, I can see that.

18. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    You need more practice. ;) The Hammerhead is moving with the fleet. The part you think is the bow is actually the rear engines. That's why I added the pic from Rebels as a comparison. The stern is larger than the bow.

The corvettes are headed the same way, angled as such:

[​IMG]

This might help:

[​IMG]

Yellow = Neb-B
    Orange = Hammerhead
    Red = CR90 corvette
    Green = GR75 transport
    Purple = ???

As for the ship in the very top right, it has me scratching my head. I keep going back & forth on what it could be! It's fun trying to figure it out!

--Adm. Nick

19. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    Damn, I still have the Battle of Turkana in mind for that.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  20. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Well, this isn't Turkana (no longer canon), but it will feature the Rebel Fleet, plus at least one MC80 Home One-type, thanks to what we see in the new Rogue One Micro Machine sets. ;)

--Adm. Nick

darklordoftech likes this.
  21. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Wow, I can't believe the Hammerhead design is making it to the big screen, even as just a background element.

22. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    The Story Group is doing it's job in a very good way. Bravo! =D=

--Adm. Nick

23. boomx2sjk

boomx2sjk Jedi Master star 2

Nov 9, 2012

At first I thought the ship on the top right was a Liberty-type star cruiser, but a) it looks like it's facing the opposite way and b) on close examination doesn't fit the exact profile.

24. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    It does kinda look like an upside down Liberty-type, I almost for a second thought it was the Quasar Fire-class carrier from Rebels too.

I'm guessing whatever MC80's appear will be under the command of the new Mon Calamari admiral revealed in the Topp's Rogue One Card series, Admiral Raddus. As much as I am an Ackbar fan, it's cool to see another Mon Calamari admiral helping the Rebel Fleet kick butt. :D

--Adm. Nick

25. Sarchet

Sarchet Jedi Master star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    I think that top right ship is just another GR75 that's banking. The line is the top/side panel split and you can kind of make out the cargo up front.

26. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    That may be... but then what is that shape behind it?

--Adm. Nick