main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    One of my problem with TFA is that we don't really get to enjoy any new ship designs. All new ships are only glimpsed, if that, before being ignored or exploded. Meanwhile the camera lovingly show of all the ships that are based on the old OT designs

2. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Grr... it's been almost a year and no new info on the NRDF ships in TFA... [face_frustrated]

[​IMG]

Help us jasonfry, you're our only hope! Do you know how much your beer & mortgage fund will increase if you expand on these ships? I'm personally see to it that you get a summer home in the Hamptons. :p

--Adm. Nick

Darth Basin and King of Alsakan like this.
  3. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003

Ha. You assume the relevant levers are within my reach. This may not be so. :p

I'll keep it in mind, though. Curious myself!

4. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Thank you good sir! I personally keep hoping that we'll see the 3D models used for those ships at one point. I asked Pablo about this several months ago and he admitted he hadn't even seen them yet. In the best tradition of old school Star Wars writing, I'd say this is fertile ground for exploring! :D

--Adm. Nick

5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Of course not, TFA only love ships based on OT designs, and we really have most info about them already and any new ships are only there to be ignored.

SpecForce Trooper and Nobody145 like this.
  6. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    King of Alsakan likes this.
  7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    [Sees Quadrijet exploding before getting a good look at it] Goodbye Quadjumper. I hardly know ye.

8. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Uhmmmmmm Luke was like....."VADER'S ON THAT SHIP!"

9. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    And Han right after said "Now, don't get jittery, Luke, there are a lot of command ships." Since he's piloting this mission and has to make a decision to continue or abort, he'd be able to decide if it's expected or unexpected to see an Executor there.

10. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    I don't know, fly casual! :D

11. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Does this ship model ring from the last Poe Dameron issue a bell for anyone? I could swear I've seen that before.
    [​IMG]
    Looks a bit like an Omega-class freighter?

MercenaryAce likes this.
  12. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    The shape, and especially the little feet, make it look like a relative of the Delta DX-9

13. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Yep, though the "flying AT-AT" feel makes it look like an Omega-class freighter. Mh... I suppose it must be a new design after all.

14. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
  15. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    The Poe Dameron series needs to do more to show us capital ships from this era, like they did in the first arc where we see a Maxima-class heavy cruiser. I want to see the Nebulon-K frigates, plus see some of those Mon Cala warships over Hosnian Prime. My gut still says that the NRDF is probably composed of upgraded Alliance designs (I assume the Nebulon-K is the frigate we see over Hosnian too), but I want to know for sure.

We know that the Resistance has Home One and another Mon Cala cruiser named Echo of Hope in their control, so I hope to see those vessels soon too. Given how resource strapped the Resistance is, I imagine these ships are more akin to deep space bases than being the basis of any Resistance Navy, which I can't see existing.

--Adm. Nick

King of Alsakan likes this.
  16. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    MercenaryAce likes this.
  17. Ton_G

Ton_G Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2002

We do know that they have naval officers (blue insignias), and that Statura manages ship procurement, while the starfighter officers wear red insignias. So there must be some kind of navy that merits a distinction. If they can hold on to at least one battlecruiser (dear Rogue One, please properly scale any Home One types you may have) and another Mon Cala cruiser, then they likely have some access to smaller vessels.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  18. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I agree, it's possible. The size & scope of the Resistance isn't fully clear yet. The only canon instances of them having capital ships are the aforementioned Mon Cala cruisers Home One and Echo of Hope, plus in the LEGO TFA game the Resistance uses a Hammerhead-class corvette in one canon mission.

Ackbar is described in the new character guide as "Resistance Space Force Commander", which implies some sort of navy. However, given how the Resistance is repeatedly described as being smaller and less equipped than the Rebellion, I don't see the Resistance having a fleet of capital ships hiding in deep space. I imagine that the few warships they do have are used more as deep space bases for troops and fighters, not for actual combat missions.

Given how much the New Republic pushed demilitarization, I don't see a lot of capital ships floating around independent of the NRDF. Anyways, we'll learn more for sure next year!

--Adm. Nick

Ord Sorrell likes this.
  19. Ton_G

Ton_G Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2002

IIRC, the impression given of the Rebel military in the recent Battlefront novel was on which could, for a time, actually hold some space. That couldn't occur without thousands of capital ships, or so I presume. That would leave quite a bit of leeway. I suspect in addition to a few ships big enough to be real mobile bases, the use for smaller capital ships would be to track the first order fleet, a long-term task not suited to starfighters. Maybe a few dozen corvettes, gunships or frigates to patrol. After all, space is big and if they really are tracking FO fleet movement they need some viable means to do so.

Ord Sorrell likes this.
  20. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    I would love if that TFA concept art for the Resistance Warhammer capital ship would eventually get used in the Resistance Navy. If they only used that in the attack on Starkiller Base instead of going the typical route.

21. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Anyone help me out? I asked this in the Wookiepedia thread but got no real response.

Okay so I want to read about Sienar Fleet Systems and the products they manufacture.

The Wook gives a category page this http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Sienar_Fleet_Systems_products but I was wondering if this is all Canon. From what I can tell it's a mix of Legends and Canon.

Is their a way to separate them out without going through every single article?
    If Not has Wookiepedia got any plans to change up Category pages to have a divide between Legends and Canon?

If I have to go through every page individually and check, would I be alright to change the category page to reflect this?

*Like I said if no one here knows without effort- I'll just sort out the page after going through each.

22. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    We really need something like New Republic, Resistance, First Order role-playing game reference books for more detailed info on their respective military forces. :(

SpecForce Trooper and JABoomer like this.
  23. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I responded in the Wookieepedia thread. The short answer is they removed product lists from manufacturer articles around the same time as the addition of the tabs, it might have even been before, so there isn't any easy way to know if something was produced in Legends or Canon.

24. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    I know you did Zeta1127 but that doesn't help me out. It's alright telling me they removed it but I'd like to that information.

25. P4KISTAN

P4KISTAN Jedi Master star 1

Jun 3, 2013
    *cough* Outrider *cough*