main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    I wouldn't be surprised if they traced one. They already traced a MAC Gun from Halo.

So awesome, a Marvel artist used it in a Rebel fleet shot!

SpecForce Trooper and spicer like this.
  2. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    The Ark Angel doesn't really look anything like a Reaper.

I do recall, though, that Nick raised a fuss earlier in this thread when one Rebel Fleet shot somewhere (maybe the Han Solo comic?) had what appeared to be a completely unaltered Battlestar Galactica. (Though that kind of actually completes a circle).

Daneira and AdmiralNick22 like this.
  3. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    The front portion does and now I can't un-see it. Knowing some Marvel artists's use of tracing, I'm not at all surprised if they did that.

4. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Valenthyne Farfalla's ship looks like it's from Ducktales!

Tzizvvt78 likes this.
  5. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Tracing is popping up a lot of lately, including that new Galactic Atlas book. Which is a bummer.

EDIT:

Fleeing from the Cylon tyranny...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To be fair, this isn't a bad pic. No tracing, two familiar ships, and an attempt to design two new ships that look somewhat in place with the fleet.

--Adm. Nick

Gorefiend and King of Alsakan like this.
  6. Ewoklord

Ewoklord Jedi Master star 2

Feb 15, 2014
    Also, I feel like that might be more of a cheeky reference than anything else.

Vthuil and masterskywalker like this.
  7. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Like the Firefly class that showed up in one of the legend comics

8. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006

Well those three new ships could be easily:

Corellian battle ships, carriers, destroyers and/or bombers
    Sullustan cargo freighters
    Bestinian skyhoppers
    Kesselian blockade runners
    Alderaanian gunships
    Calamarian tankers
    Manowars

ROTJ novelisation still rings through in some areas.

9. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Returning the favour for the Mobquet medium transport that kept popping up on Firefly, no doubt.

Vthuil and MercenaryAce like this.
  10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Move along, move along.

Darth Basin likes this.
  11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I actually never said that any of that ships I posted was bad, I just posted DH ship designs that was quickly available to me that did not look like movie knockoffs.

Personally I think that many of the current Marvel comics are using artist that are just not that good at drawing space ships and that makes many of them appear less good then they are.

12. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Yeah, Marvel's artists haven't even come close to stuff like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

--Adm. Nick

13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Those are the best pics you can find Nick?

14. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    There are dozens and dozens more out there. That was just from a quick Google search, plus those are pretty iconic shots that got a lot of discussion here on the boards back in the day. Especially the shot of the Old Republic KOTOR navy and the Galactic Alliance Core Fleet. Those were a big deal to Fleet Junkies ten years ago.

--Adm. Nick

spicer likes this.
  15. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    If Krennic is a director of R&D, he may have snagged a prototype or limited production run for himself.
    It may also be his main craft. Vader has the Executor, and just uses the Lambda to get from it to the ground or Death Star. He also tends more to fighters. Same probably goes for the Emperor- he had his own shuttle in RotS, but mainly uses larger ships for long distance transportation.

Daneira and MercenaryAce like this.
  16. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    The sad thing is that if I remember right the artist who drew that KotOR Old Republic Navy shot was Weaver, and he's working for Marvel right now, right? I think long ago there was a bit of discussion about him moving from Dark Horse to exclusive for Marvel (which was bad news for us back then since no more fleet shots like that), but even now that Marvel has Star Wars, doesn't seem like he'll be working on Star Wars again.

Though its probably better for his career to work on higher profile stuff, I think he drew at least some pages of the Infinity event comic. Which was kind of a waste of his talent, as it was a stupid event (though saying stupid Marvel comic event is kind of redundant, and the standard keeps dropping every year).

This is why I'm so bored of OT era stuff. There's barely any room for innovation in fleet matters. Here's a Star Destroyer! Here's trace of RotJ Rebel fleet! Look, TIE Fighters! Well, there is room, but the writers usually don't care about that aspect. Even Dark Horse took years to reach the level we loved, and Marvel will take a lot longer to reach that level, partially because they're starting from scratch.

17. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Vader also got a super rare TIE Advanced X-1. Take that Krennic!

Daneira and MercenaryAce like this.
  18. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    To be fair, the Battlestars would work really well as Rendili vessels...

19. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    Delete this post please. F5'd the page and it said this didn't exist-- then when I reposted it apparently showed.

20. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    I'm just waiting for canon to come out with a guide to starships. What's a crusier, corvette, frigate, destroyers. DEFINITIONS MATTER.

Darth Basin likes this.
  21. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I don't think they care that much about definitions right now. They use battleship, warship and capital ship interchangeably, and the CR90 corvette is often called a cruiser...

22. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    It is really annoying when they don't care about the stability of continuity. Calling a ship some definition regardless of what it is- is just nonsense.

23. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    It's like when people call a yacht a boat! BOOOOOOOOO!

masterskywalker likes this.
  24. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Alderaan cruiser is mostly related to where it came from. It was called that in the oldest reference works and the original film's script iirc. There's also the liberal use of "rebel cruiser" for the Nebulon-B in the ESB script and early EU.

Plus, Jason Fry uses battlecruiser and dreadnought based on his definitions in EGTW. :)

25. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    That's a tad bit harsh. I've been a Fleet Junkie on these boards for 13+ years, plus had a general interest in SW ships for going on 25 years. It's not that they don't care about continuity, I'd argue that overall they do very solid job, especially compared to other franchises.

Honestly, if someone calling a corvette a "cruiser" upsets you that much, you might want to pick a different franchise to follow. :p[face_peace]

Personally, I chalk it up (IU & OOU) to people not always knowing what term is proper but using common descriptors (like cruiser or battleship) because they are part of the general lexicon. Hell, I giggle when I see real world, reputable new organizations refer to modern navy destroyers as "battleships", but I don't hold it against them.

--Adm. Nick

Iron_lord likes this.
  26. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015

Ahahah "might wanna pick a different franchise" ahahahahahahhaha. No.

When I say that they call a corvette a cruiser, I don't mean they ruin the stability of continuity, I was refering to these in general things-- as in, if they were going to get really sloppy and not caring about correct terms or canonical content existing in canon in general. That's called a messy universe, something some people think is important to not be.