main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    I'm pretty sure it'll just be an easter egg and Phoenix Squadron won't actually appear. That, or we'll get a simple hint that its Phoenix Squadron but we won't see or hear any of the characters.

Daneira likes this.
  2. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Well, when you consider we see a ship that could be the Ghost, 2-3 Hammerhead-class corvettes, and a potential CR90 corvette with blue markings (ala the Liberator), having Phoenix Squadron makes a lot of sense. Don't forget, the updated Complete Locations shows an A-wing in the Yavin Four hangar that is stated to be part of Phoenix Squadron too.

Hell, I'm surprised we haven't see the Quasar Fire-carrier or A-wings in the trailer yet. Of course, this is 2+ years after Rebels, so ships could have been lost/loaned to other cells. Hell, Phoenix probably upgraded to mostly X-wings at one point too.

Either way, the fact that in one week I'll be seeing a Rebel Fleet on scene that is a mix of classic designs (Neb-B, medium transport, CR90), Rebels designs (Hammerheads, Ghost), and new designs (Mon Cala warship) is just too freaking cool. :D

--Adm. Nick

3. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Funny how Nucanon made Nebulan B's no longer ex-Imperial ships yet made the Qusar Fire carriers which where originally modified random container ships Imperial Carriers to begin with.

vncredleader and MercenaryAce like this.
  4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It hasn't said one way or another where those Nebulon-Bs come from actually. They could be ex-imperial - we don't know yet.

We know that the First Order fields Nebulon-Ks from Before The Awakening - possibly a descendant?

Darth Basin likes this.
  5. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Well Wookieepedia says that they were made by Kuat Drive Yards, so them being ex-Imperial might still be canon. Buuuuuuut the reference for that factoid is "Ultimate Star Wars", so make of that what you will.

It is a bit silly that (according to the "Homcoming" trivia gallery) they made it an Imperial ship solely because it's a triangle. But I guess if they put the Quasar in that shot of the Rebel Fleet casual viewers would probably think it Imperial unless they painted a big starbird on it.

6. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I privately have always wanted the Nebulon-B's to be Chandrila's contribution to the Alliance Fleet. They supposedly had a navy that was pretty impressive in the old canon, giving them a bunch of versatile, multi-purpose frigates seems very Chandrilan anyways.

Besides, those things don't look like any other Kuati ships, no need to make that canon again, IMO.

--Adm. Nick

7. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    I thought the Chandrilans are "peaceful"?

8. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Why does everything made by a company need to look the same?

"Yes Bob, this is an amazing ship design whose sale would bring us a lot of money, but it isn't a triangle, so you are fired."

Heck, while I like the Arquitens fine, I would have loved to have seen Carracks instead, or customs corvettes, or even blockade runners in imperial colors.

9. NCISliar

NCISliar Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2013
    Btw did no one else notice what seems to be a stormtrooper transport from TFA used by the Galactic Empire in the new Star Wars Annual #2?

It's seen sitting on the pier in the lower right corner in the second panel.

[​IMG]

I wish there were more non triangle ships in the Imperial fleet. It's actually one of the reasons why the X-Wing series (the video games) is so great, diversity.

10. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    It fits the Imperial profile, though. Angular vs. organic. Half the EU fleet looked like it came from the Mon Calamari. :p

CaptainPeabody and Darth Basin like this.
  11. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Economizing: You made your points well. I do not agree with 1, because the scroll says "striking from a hidden base", One base. But, since the term 'civil war' is in the first sentence, ahead of one base, I can also see the tension between two scopes of conflict. One cannot conduct civil war from one base. So, Lucas said it, not you. The rest (2-4) are academic to me now because I found further metrics in the script itself (SW77) that I don't see anyone has looked at rigorously. Ok, cheers.

12. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015

Last time I looked on the Wook the Nebulans are still KDY made.

13. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Not entirely certain if this is the right thread to be asking, but the Essential Guide to Warfare mentions that during the Listehol campaign, TIE Fighters were launched from Venator-class Star Destroyers.

Wookiepedia lists the Venator's fighter complement as:
    192 V-wings
    192 Eta-2 Actis-class interceptors
    36 ARC-170s

Now, all three of these fighters were eventually replaced by TIEs in the Imperial fleet. So what would the fighter complement be of a TIE-carrying Venator circa 18 BBY be? This also seems like a lot of fighters for one ship, considering that even the much larger Executor only typically carried 144 TIEs.

14. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Jedi cruisers are properly pretty hard to refit for TIEs, given that they tend to hang them from the ceiling and in that ship that very ceiling is meant to flip up, plus given its sheer ugliness there unpopularity with the Empire they properly had them phased out rather quickly anyway so I doubt they ever got all that many TIEs assigned to them.

15. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    That's actually pretty informative, as the line in EGTW is "squadrons of TIE fighters launched from a small complement of Venator-class Star Destroyers." The use of "squadrons" and not "wings" implies that not even a full wing of 72 TIEs could fit on a single refitted Venator. So now my assumption is that a single attack wing was spread across either 3 or 6 Venators, probably 3, with each refitted Venator only being able to house two squadrons, or 24 TIEs.

Gorefiend likes this.
  16. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Oh you could properly fit more with enough refits, but I just can’t see the Empire even bothering all that much or getting around to it.

17. Sarchet

Sarchet Jedi Master star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    Well, first, is the 144 fighters on Executors still canon? I've always thought it a low number considering an ISD houses 72.

Secondly, addressing refits, we know some Venators were still in service by Endor. That implies they would have put some serious investment into making them compatible with TIE fighters. The big door is over the launch strip - the hangars are to the sides of it.

I think two wings would not be out of the question for a Venators TIE complement, maybe more if it was all TIE/ln.

18. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    The Venators were extremely good carriers, but only good in the little type of ships they could carry. They were specifically designed for 'landing gear' ships, so the Empire had little use for them outside of being used as mobile academies. Considering their lack of armaments, they didn't have much of a policing role so its not surprising that by the time of the Galactic Civil War the Venators were essentially classified as frigates. The Secutor did everything for the Empire the Venator did for the Republic but much better.

vncredleader likes this.
  19. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    The Listehol campaign was barely a year after the Declaration of a New Order, and the majority of fleet involved was "ancient" Invincible-class Dreadnaughts, so it seems to me like they were just working with what they had available. The Dreadnaughts themselves were supposed to be given to the Corporate Sector. So it's not a question of what the Empire could eventually do with the Venators 20 years later, but what they could do at the time.

Listehol campaign is Legends so I'm going by Legends numbers. Although, looking at the Wookieepedia article on the Executor-class it claims that the TIEs "can number in their thousands if fully loaded". Probably just that Vader's Executor had 144.

There potentially could've been TIE/gt bombers, but those are the same size as the LNs.

jasonfry and Sarchet like this.
  20. Commander_Andersen

Commander_Andersen Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 10, 2004

I never liked the "192 Eta-2 Actis" thing - we only ever really see them used by Jedi, in fairly small numbers, never really in squadrons.

Surely we can have a nice compromise in the new canon, post-The Clone Wars, so we factor in Y-Wings, Z-95s and V-19 Torrents.

Gorefiend likes this.
  21. Sarchet

Sarchet Jedi Master star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    My mistake then, I'm not sure about the Venators in Legends, as far as TIE capacity. I think it would still be pretty high but maybe there just weren't many TIEs available at that point, so they could have carried more but only had enough for a few squadrons each.

Daneira likes this.
  22. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    I remember hearing somewhere in Legends the Executor-class had 144 TIE fighters AND........

144 Bombers
    144 Interceptors
    144 Scouts
    144 shuttles, boarding craft & landers
    144 Defenders

Plus, AT-AT barges, blast boats, 2 prefabricated garrisons, and a few shuttles bigger than the TIE shuttles.

Source I forgot.

23. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    144 TIEs for a ship of that size is absurd, it should carry around a thousand.

24. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    SOTG 2nd Ed did say there were SSD starfighter carriers that could carry thousands of fighters.

25. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Course, judging by rebels Star Destroyers carry around five or so. :p