main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Also, just for the purpose of clarifying things: was Mothma's transmission broadcast galaxy-wide for general audiences with the expectation that the various major Rebel groups would also see it, or was it broadcast just on frequencies she knew the various major Rebel groups used, or was it broadcast directly to the various major Rebel groups SPECIFICALLY, or was it something else?

Because we have to account for the fact that a bunch of Rebel ships showed up over Dantooine in response to her transmission, but a bunch of Imperial ships DIDN'T.

Daneira likes this.
  2. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
  3. Star_Desperado

Star_Desperado Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 5, 2017
    trying to get the hang of this kind of forum

anyway pfluegermeister, maybe it's that all these rebels knew where to meet, but it was a matter of IF to meet, and Mon Mothma's message was to see if any of the Rebel cells would put up or shut up

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  4. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    1.9km works well, plus gives the ship a scale that fits with how it is portrayed in ROTJ. :D

--Adm. Nick

King of Alsakan and Tzizvvt78 like this.
  5. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Considering that the only people we see actually seeing the transmission are rebels, it seems like its being broadcast to the rebel cells specifically. I have to imagine that a lot of the larger cells, like the Bail Organa/Jan Dodonna group we see, probably knew she was going to make some sort of speech and they had set up some sort of Holonet splice ahead of time to show the broadcast, then tipped the smaller groups (like the Lothal cell) when to tune in. Remember that this was a scheduled meeting; Mon's involvement was a closely guarded secret, but someone still told Hera and the others where to be to pick her up.

Likewise, the ships that fly in don't arrive all at once like they all jumped in unison but they're obviously close enough to show up right as the speech ends; they were probably waiting at the edge of the Dantooine system for the meeting to formally start with Mon's speech before they jumped in to make sure the Empire didn't see them all sitting in orbit waiting for her to show up.

TheRedBlade likes this.
  6. Fractalsponge

Fractalsponge Jedi Master

Jan 27, 2003
    Why is Home One still less than 2km? Isn't the shuttle scaling fairly conclusive there for ~3km?

AdmiralWesJanson likes this.
  7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe the newcanon Lambda shuttle's slightly shorter than Saxton's original 22.25m landed height estimate?

http://www.theforce.net/swtc/mcc.html#hangarscale

He gave an "absolute minimum for shuttle fit" of 2.5 km Home One. If it turns out the shuttle is smaller, then Home One can be smaller.

8. Fractalsponge

Jan 27, 2003
    Obviously small errors can magnify as you multiply up, but the shuttle has some hard scaling cues - for one, we know how tall Vader is, and he can walk under the nose without hitting his head. So gear to bottom of nose is slightly more than 2m, and you can scale from there. I don't really see the shuttle being much beneath 25-26m given that.

9. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The canon page for Anakin's heights is outdated - links to the old Legends-era Encyclopaedia - gives 1.88m and 2.03m when the newcanon Character Encyclopaedia gives 1.85m and 2.02m respectively. Admittedly this isn't enough to make the nose of the shuttle any lower than 2m off the ground - unless Vader is hunching or leading forward noticeably as he passes under.

The shuttle's length (Legends and newcanon) is 20m - so it appears they don't subscribe to Saxton's suggestion that the exterior model could have been built "sub-scale" like the Falcon's was:

http://www.theforce.net/swtc/lambda.html

10. Fractalsponge

Jan 27, 2003
    When I scaled stuff for my model, I ended up with something that was 20m long nosetip to end of fuselage, but excluded the aft tip of the fin and the gun barrels (length overall 22.8m) - that gave a height landed with gear and ramp of 26.7m and an under-nose clearance of just over 2m. If I scaled to 20m length overall, under-nose clearance would drop to 1.8m (Vader has to stoop to get underneath) and height to 23.4m. Pretty close, but it all suggests that the H1 should be >2.5km at least based on the hangar aperture, and that's an absolute minimum. 3km is much safer scaling.

King of Alsakan likes this.
  11. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The shuttle appears to be coming out here:

[​IMG]

much lower down than is implied by the way the deck platform sits within the hangar here:

[​IMG]

Maybe the platform lowers before the shuttle launches, to give it plenty of headroom?

JABoomer likes this.
  12. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Ah, scaling discussions! This brings me back. :)

Joking aside, I think the one thing we can all agree on is that 1.9km is much more accurate and matches on screen depictions to a much greater degree than the old 1.2km figure. I've never had any issues with 1.2km for the Liberty & wingless type cruisers, but I'm glad that HO is finally getting the scale & bulk she deserves. It's such a beast in ROTJ!

--Adm. Nick

13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Hopefully this is the preliminary to the databank actually giving Home One a new length separate from standard MC80s.

One thing I noticed in the Secret Cargo trivia gallery - a confirmation that yes, these are the Reclam Station Y-wings, further modified. They now appear to be single-seat, when before they were two-seat, and their ion turret is much less bulky.

It appears that the single-seat Y-wing is a modification of the two-seat one, rather than being a separate model in its own right.

14. Fractalsponge

Jan 27, 2003
    It would be nice if we skipped the whole 8km -> 12.8km -> 19km (instead of 17.6km) Executor nonsense this time around with the new EU, but it seems we are doomed to repeat the same nonsense pattern again with H1.

15. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm more curious about the Executor's proportions - Wookieepedia's canon Executor page main pic:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Executor-class_Star_Dreadnought

[​IMG]

shows one that's somewhat broader than yours, with a proportionally longer tail.

Yours:

[​IMG]

Other short tailed Executors that may have used yours as a starting point:

16. chris1982

chris1982 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 17, 2015

I really hope 1.9km will be the new official canon size for Home One. It always bugged me that Home One was supposed to be the same size as the other MC crusiers in most sources, while it looked much bigger on screen.

17. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Isn't that Executor just shown from a different angle? Things can change rapidly based on where you photograph something, just watch the R1 documentary on the VR camera. There's the scene of the ISDs and the Death Star and the same ISD model looks very elongated and truncated based on where you see it from.

18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The Executor Crash image shows an Executor with a tail almost a third the length of its body - consistent with the above Wookieepedia image:

[​IMG]

But other images show a tail less than a quarter the length of its body:

Raising the possibility that there were multiple Executor models with slightly different proportions.

TheRedBlade likes this.
  19. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    I think it only looks like that in the crash scene because the front chunk of it flattened against/dug into the death star

20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    If you look at the still right before it hits

[​IMG]
    and combine it with the one of it hitting, you end up with proportions similar to the Wookieepedia image:

which is apparently of at least one Executor prop.

Hence my theory that they created a "mini-Executor" lust like they did a "mini ISD" (the Brass Star Destroyer mentioned in the Star Wars Mysteries: Executor article)

http://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-mysteries-exacting-executor-measurements

for the occasional shot - most notably this one.

It's possible that I'm wrong and that the fractalsponge Executor is just wrongly proportioned. But most of the Executor broadside images tend to suggest a very proportionally short tail section.

21. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    It looks like the same proportions as the second image you posted here, roughly quarters.
    [​IMG]

Personally I haven't seen any significant differences with the studio props for the movies (except for the close up prop of the executor trench, but that's different), only secondhand interpretations from various artists, whether hand-drawn or 3d. In the event of contradiction between canon and fanon, I err on the side of canon.

Speaking of which did LSG give an official length for the Executor in any of the new media yet? It's still 19km/12mi right? I can't really trust the databank because there are a lot of flubs in there, as AdmiralNick noticed when they put the Profundity's height as its length.

22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Ultimate Star Wars, I think - and possibly Star Wars Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, as well.

Crashing ship Looks between 1/4 and 1/3 to me, whereas the above image looks closer to 1/5. It might be due to the Executor being very slightly tilted toward the camera rather than exactly in profile - but that might not be enough.

Aside from being seen from a higher angle, Fractal's Executor:

looks pretty close to this ROTJ shot:

[​IMG]

both (thanks to the ship being angled toward the camera more than the broadside shot) show a tail around 1/6 of the total length.

23. VitorPraza

VitorPraza Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 29, 2017
    do you have detailed description of nadiri starhawk& could you show me please)

24. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    There haven't been any descriptions more detailed than "hatchet bow" from Aftermath: Life Debt.

25. VitorPraza

VitorPraza Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 29, 2017
    sad( but thank you