main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Image doesn't work for me. Presumably though, the image comes from the Weapon of a Jedi comic?

2. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    Here is the link if you can get to it

Dropbox links haven't been working for me since they changed some of their policies

3. Cracian_Thumper

Cracian_Thumper Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2015

This image isn't quite as clear, but you can see the other places where the gunship appears to have weapons emplacements firing.
    [​IMG]
    EDIT: Looking at the first Dornean gunship I posted above, it's pretty clear from this image that there is another weapons emplacement on top of the bow of the ship, and possibly one more just aft of amidships.
    [​IMG]

MercenaryAce and vncredleader like this.
  4. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Oh yeah the second one in the first image is shooting from what has to be one of the tubes sticking out of the top.

Cracian_Thumper likes this.
  5. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    The concept pic that someone posted only shows one large engine....if it is that size would that one main engine be enough for it to keep pace with a fleet??

and maybe something as small as what is on a commercial airplane....those things are cramped.

vncredleader likes this.
  6. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Worked for me. That image makes me think of the older books (Lando Calrissian trilogy especially) which described warships as "battlewagons".

King of Alsakan likes this.
  7. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Yuck. I was ninj'ad.

Yes, the image is from the German comic, I can confirm that.
    BTW, thanks for following Star Wars Sourcebooks! :D

By the way, here's a picture of the orbit of Giju. Are there any known models (beside the obvious ones)?
    [​IMG]

8. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    The Razor-class is quite ungainly in design, mashing a Star Destroyer with a more WEG-esque cargo/carrier design. I do like it for throwing some variety into the stories. The scan seems to show three double-barreled cannons on the bow and possibly closed hangar entries on the ventral side.

http://i.imgur.com/LZGEExN.jpg

King of Alsakan likes this.
  9. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I love/hate that ship design, it literally looks like a flying boat.

10. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    More view of the ship (outside and inside) for you guys:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bsmith7174 and Tzizvvt78 like this.
  11. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I wonder if the Dornean gunship is going to end replacing the Corellian gunship as the Alliance's gunship of choice in future works.

Tzizvvt78 likes this.
  12. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    The Razor-class is clunky beyond belief. I kinda love it.

MercenaryAce, Tzizvvt78 and Iron_lord like this.
  13. Star_Desperado

Star_Desperado Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 5, 2017
    The DP20 appears in canon as a poorly drawn background ship in one of the comics and in the Atlas, but I doubt it will get much attention beyond that. Personally I'm more interested in what that "Corellian Assault Frigate" and "Alderaanian Frigate" or whatever they were called in Empire's End look like, as well of course as the Starhawk battleship. We'll probably have to wait for TLJ for that though.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  14. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    I'm liking the clunky Razor the more I see of it. It actually reminds me of the clunky Sith designs from TOR.

Cracian_Thumper likes this.
  15. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    I would love to see the DP20 in rebels.

JediBatman and MercenaryAce like this.
  16. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Looks like they took the Ton Falk class carrier idea (basically a repurposed super transport) and expanded on it. Basic freighter/bulk cruiser hull, but then cargo space converted into hangars, weapons added, and this time, a semi-standard KDY warship superstructure slapped on top.

Maybe not even an official KDY design, but a subsidiary yard combining spare parts to fill a role.

17. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    I like to think many secondary and tertiary Imperial ship models reuse spare parts. Like the Omega-class freighter, which probably has something to do with AT-ATs.

Tzizvvt78 likes this.
  18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    How literally should we take that superstructure? Should we assume that it's much smaller than a standard ISD2 superstructure (since the bridge is proportionally much larger) or should we treat that as comic artistic licence, and assume it is basically ISD2 parts for the upper half of the ship - everything matching the corresponding parts for an ISD2?

Doing it that way, might make it a bit on the large side for a frigate.

JediBatman likes this.
  19. chris1982

chris1982 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 17, 2015
    I don't like the design at all. The whole tower section seems to be way too large and the ship is too boxy for my taste. Would have prefered something more streamlined. Something looking more like the Rand Ecliptic for example http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rand_Ecliptic/Legends

JABoomer, JediBatman and Tzizvvt78 like this.
  20. Star_Desperado

Star_Desperado Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 5, 2017
    I always thought the Rand Ecliptic had a flat ventral hull but then I realized the perspective was all out of whack and its even fatter than an Acclamator

really bummed me out

21. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    I understand the idea of "spare parts", but to me there's a difference between interchangeable TIE cockpits and building a whole bridge. I figure once you get to that point you might as well build the rest of the thing instead of turning it into a frigate. It looks like the Star Wars equivalent of someone starting to build a battleship but then halfway through deciding to make it a barge instead. Hell rough it up a little bit and it could be a particularly ambitious Ugly craft used by pirates.

It becomes a bit more palateable to me if we assume it's a scaled down bridge based on the Star Destroyer design and not literally a full sized Star Destroyer bridge Frankensteined onto another ship, but I still don't like the clunky design.

22. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    I actually like the Rand Ecliptic as an Acclamator variant. Like a Mk III or Mk IV. convert the entire troop complement area over to carry 6 squadrons of fighters and upgrade the weapons for better ship to ship combat.

Tzizvvt78 likes this.
  23. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Hey fellows! You might be interested in this Twitter convo I had with Ruairi Coleman regarding the design of the Razor-class frigate.

24. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Nice! Got a lot of info about it from that. :)

25. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Re-posting from Rebels thread & Twitter:

[​IMG]

My count from the episode was nearly 100%... I just missed one of the CR90's. Unless they ended up only animating the five I counted. There is an additional light cruiser than the episode showed as well, so maybe they removed one ship from each side for cost reasons?

--Adm. Nick

Ordo N-11, Snafu55, Counter and 2 others like this.