main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Star_Desperado

Star_Desperado Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 5, 2017
    As much as I'd like that, that would have been extremely taxing on animation assets. While it's possible to have a hangar there, you'd need the armor plating to slide off to the side or flip open somewhere along the hull, and they clearly put a lot of effort already just into modeling the very highly greebled asset of the Nebulon, which, if you notice, has ZERO moving parts in the episode.

2. seeker_two

seeker_two Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003

I would guess the hangar opening is at the rear of the deck just below the neck connection facing aft. It would be large enough to launch small fighters, but not shuttles or larger craft (hence the docking umbilicals). The hangar is probably sealed and armored on hospital ships, so no ESB confirmation. Based on the size, the hangar could probably hold two full 12-ship squadrons of TIE Fighters or one 12-ship squadron of X-Wings or Y-Wings.

3. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    There's a big flat space on the bottom of the rebels model, but that's not really an viable hangar entrance location considering all the space it'd have to cut through. Although you do get a better sense of scale for the ships in this image. The TIE fighters are appropriately small, but the fang fighter is enormous, an entire TIE isn't even as wide as the fuselage, it's almost the entire beam of a Nebulon.

[​IMG]

JABoomer likes this.
  4. Tervlon

Tervlon Jedi Knight

May 14, 2010
    I don't think that's the Fang, I think it's the Kom'rk Mando transport which is 68m long. It looks like the one Maul left behind on Tatooine.

5. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    Yeah that's the one I meant. I can never remember what the names are between the two mando ships we've seen. It's obviously not the smaller type Fenn Rau used on Concord Dawn.

6. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    The Fang is the smaller fighter class that seems to have been introduced in the Rebels era. The Kom'rk "Gauntlet" class is the bigger one used by Death Watch and Maul - the one in that picture is definitely Maul's former Gauntlet. Ezra uses it throughout Zero Hour.

Nickname320 likes this.
  7. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Is there only 1 model Victory-class now?? I know they were brought back into canon...but do not recall seeing anything about MkI and MkII.

8. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Fitting two dozen starfighters in the Nebulon-B has always been problematic. For starters, visually people are always going to draw the Nebbie similar to the Medical Frigate variant. To hit an internal hangar, you have to have a large, exposed hangar ala the X-wing computer game, but then you're basically using up a lot of space.

Given what we saw in Rebels with CR90's docking fighters, I'd almost prefer that the Nebbies have fighters attached via umbilical cords instead too. The only other option is for a rear facing hangar on the forward superstructure (below the strut connecting both ends of the ship), but even if they did that you'd be hard pressed to cram in two dozen snubfighters, repair bays, room for fuel/ordnance, etc.

--Adm. Nick

9. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    I think you could have multiple versions of it. Standard frigate/cruiser dedicated warship. Light Carrier variant with hollowed out hull for starfighter compartment and upkeep, minimal ship to ship weaponry. Medical Frigate variant with most of the modular hull internals converted to scientific/hospital space, and minimal ship to ship weaponry.

We know there must be some sort of different versions because the Rogue One cgi model is not the same as the ESB/ROTJ physical model (this version was stylized for Rebels).

10. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    Could only have it hold 12 fighters. Looking at the space in the cross sections book I think that would work out.

11. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    Eh, cross sections book is a bit iffy. Given what we've seen on screen, that painting looks to be twice the scale - a 600m ship! Not that I'm necessarily opposed to that idea, and Star Wars always plays fast and loose with internal size as necessity demands, but curse Complete Vehicles for coming out right before the canon purge!

12. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    The implication from the cross section book was that the patient wards in the front section are converted hangars. Not necessarily hangars in the sense of Home One, but more like single or double fighter launch bays. So instead of a single hangar, the ship would have a large number of smaller ones.

So the room where Luke gets treated and looks out of could be a bay for an X-wing to launch from as well. Why else would they have such a wide window (other than movie cool)? It looks just wide enough for an X-wing.
    [​IMG]

I saw some site explained these as "shielded view ports that can double as emergency boarding points", which sounds made up.

vncredleader likes this.
  13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It turns out they are using the older Incredible Cross Sections as references - even if they themselves haven't (yet) been rereleased under the newcanon banner the way Complete Locations was:

https://www.wired.com/2016/11/john-knoll-rogue-one-star-wars/

Knoll’s job also requires painful, almost microscopic scrutiny. At one point he reviews a Star Destroyer torn in half in battle—the reflections, the textures, the realism of the bent metal. The model maker is working from the book Incredible Cross-Sections of Star Wars: The Ultimate Guide to Star Wars Vehicles and Spacecraft to make sure that what an audience sees inside the ship matches what’s known about Star Destroyers. No one wants to be the subject of a subreddit dedicated to power converters and the jerks who put them in the wrong place.

(it's close to the end of the article)

Maybe Complete Vehicles with its Nebulon-B pic, is being drawn on by the Rogue One writers as well?

vncredleader and Star_Desperado like this.
  14. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    Nah, he's using the ICS to the OT only, the one from 1998 not the 2013 CV update. Or at least, that's all the article made explicit mention of, though it's possible they might have access to it. Even so, the design in CV is long and lean, even more so than the actual original ILM kitbash, similar to the old Anigrand model kit. The one in RO is a bit stubby and far thicker in proportion. And as I noted a while ago they added all those new guns to it. It's quite an interesting and original model that keeps all the necessary visual cues while innovating. That's necessary, as the original prop has deteriorated, so I'm pretty sure they started more or less from scratch. You can see lower res versions in the big reference books, most recently that Ultimate Encyclopedia. I'll post a phone pic if I get it.

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

That was what I was guessing at - at least for Rogue One and/or Rebels, it makes sense that Leland or Pablo would give them that picture, at least as a starting point.

16. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    Maybe. What puzzles me though is why/how Filoni and co. made an extremely stylized Nebulon B in Rebels that hews almost identically to the original physical prop in terms of parts and greebles (but not so much on proportion), while the far more realistic and impressive R1 model took so many liberties with the minor details.

vncredleader likes this.
  17. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    By the way, if anybody's interested, here's the closest clean comparison I could cobble up.

[​IMG]

18. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Very nice!

I have a very soft spot for this ship, always loved it. To answer your question, I think perhaps the RO people just thought that as they were destroying them, and knew that they weren't making the Redemption from ESB, they deliberately took liberty with the original model.

19. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    I would think the opening would be maybe twice as large...both in height and in width. put one on each side and that would be ae deck level and have the mag con field. Then TIE fighter racks above.

vncredleader likes this.
  20. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I think that is a good example of style over practicality. rebels loves making its ships look cool and match the concept art and films while RO did a great job of making its ships more functional in the universe. Like actually putting cannons on ships.

Star_Desperado likes this.
  21. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    It also makes sense that a majority of the guns were removed from the medical frigate, likely to add to ships meant to see combat regularly.

22. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    After the Imperial Surrender do you think companies would dust off old designs and update them for military/PSFs sales?

Take the Z-95 for example. Would Subpro dust off the old designs, look at what people were doing in the aftermarket with old fighters, and start up new production with standardized upgraded systems? In effect making a Z-95 MkVII (or whatever) that would perform at the same standard current generation space superiority starfighters. Modern engines, laser cannons, missile/torpedo launchers, shields, etc...

23. seeker_two

seeker_two Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    I'd like to see that.....maybe even an updated version of the Jedi starfighters. Think of all the customers that would buy a Anakin Skywalker Commemorative Eta-2 Interceptor.....

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using Tapatalk

24. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007

I mean, have you SEEN the new A-Wing?

25. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Considering all the star fighters we've seen in the TLJ trailer, I'd say it's a good bet that the Alliance-style ships probably filled out most planetary defense fleets, and I could see that leading to a mix of updated pre-GCW designs and updated Allaince fighters. Though, since the Allaince fighters were on the victorious side of the war, they might have simply outlasted the older designs.

Speaking of star fighters and the way they interact with military situations and command styles, a thought occurred to me on how they can repackage the Victory Star Destroyer to explain why it might never replace totally the Venators before the Imperials. The Clone Wars featured numerous star fighter designs for the Republic, with all sorts of different tactics and ideas behind them, but when the Republic became the Empire, Imperial combat doctrine was *extremely* dogmatic in regards to star fighters; they were to be support craft dependent on carrier-battleship hybrids, with no hyperdrive and a weapons load out dedicated to dogfighting instead of being a threat to capital ships, in the vein of the V-wings or Ecta Jedi Starfighters.

Maybe the Vicotry was designed on a Clone Wars Combat philosophy meant to compliment the development of ships like the ARCs, Z-95s, and Y-wings, ships that were designed to pack more punch than dedicated dog fighters, and most importantly, had integrated hyper drives. If the Victory was designed with the idea of it working alongside hyperdrive capable Starfighters, similar to the way the Rebel Alliance combat doctrine goes, they may have had smaller fighter bays, thus leading to a smaller size as well. Of course, if your doctrine is designed around having all ships operate autonomously with hyperdrive capabilities, that might lessen the comparative authority capital ship officers have over Starfighters officers.

Maybe the Victory was never as successful under the Empire because it was designed for someone more like the Rebels?