main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. seeker_two

seeker_two Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003

Or Vulture Droids. Maybe the Neb-B is going to be a surplus Separatist design. It does share some aesthetics with the other Seppie capships......

The2ndQuest likes this.
  2. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Speaking of the Neb-Bs as older ships - I am reminded of how I liked that in the X-Wing/Tie Fighter series, the standard Neb-Bs and corvettes were used by the rebels more and their upgraded, more menacing looking counterparts were used by the empire more. In particular, I vaguely remember a mission that was basically a duel between a rebel Neb-B and an imperial modified Neb (with the player making the difference for the rebel ship of course.)

TheRedBlade likes this.
  3. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I remember fondly the Malevolent vs Endeavour Neb-B duel from X-Wint vs TIE.

4. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Honestly, the best reason to have the Nebulon-B still be an Imperial design in canon is because it can be cool to see both sides using the same ships occasionally.

5. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Yeah has that happened in the new eu? I mean did the Quasar-Fire ever have to fight another one in Rebels?

MercenaryAce likes this.
  6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think they've only shown the one ship so far.

7. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    One of my all time favorite missions. I used to love choosing a bomber, throwing my laser power into my engines, and then race ahead (while juking incoming TIE's) to unleash my payload into the Malevolent. :D

The X-wing series of games stands out as one of the few games that picked up on the concept that both factions could use the same classes of ships. Rebellion did with Dreadnaughts, but nothing else.

Of course, visually I totally get why movies & TV series want distinctive classes for each side. It's part of developing the overall look and feel of each side. Even George Lucas went out of his way to pick the design that was ultimately chosen for the Mon Cal cruisers in ROTJ to be as opposite from the Empire as possible. Smooth, organic curves vs. the hard, sharp angles of the Empire.

--Adm. Nick

8. Star_Desperado

Star_Desperado Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 5, 2017
    Sorry for the crappy quality but my phone died. Here's the Nebulon B in the new Visual Encyclopedia:
    [​IMG]
    Compare to the Ultimate Star Wars guide from 2015 - same model different angle. Compare also to my post a couple pages ago comparing the Rogue One model to the physical prop from ESB/ROTJ:
    [​IMG]

Tzizvvt78, Karl0413 and vncredleader like this.
  9. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    I don't suppose any of you know the identity of the exploding ISD in this still?
    [​IMG]

10. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    I don't know if that particular one was ever given a name, but I'm guessing not. I can tell it was probably destroyed by Mon Cal cruisers. You know there were those Blade Squadron short stories that appeared in the Star Wars Insider magazines, one of those involved the B-wing squadrons taking down Vader's old flagship the Devastator. It could be that unless that was already identified with another destroyed destroyer.

11. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    It's definitely blown up by fire from a Mon Cal cruiser. One of the odder background details of ROTJ.

12. comradepitrovsky

Jan 5, 2017
    Do we know which ship it is in Legends? I'd imagine it names everything.

13. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    The Wook shows 3 confirmed kills for Devastator, Vehemence (both ISDs), and the Harbinger (a Tector).

However it does list 27 ISDs at Endor so it may very well be a different ship altogether.

14. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Yeah, I also understand the importance of visual distinctiveness, particularly in Star Wars, but I do also like the idea that in a civil war, there should be some overlap.

Particularly since I like seeing vehicles in the paint schemes of their enemies - or just various colors and patterns altogether.

AdmiralWesJanson likes this.
  15. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    It's blown up by a huge turbolaser bolt, so it can't be the Devastator, at least.

16. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I don't really trust the numbers in the article, TBH. For starters, the numbers of ships in the Rebel Fleet aren't accurate. For examples, there is one scene where there are at least seven Nebulon-B frigates visible:

[​IMG]

Plus they are way off on their MC80 counts. Hell, there are nearly 14 of them in the final fleet shot of the movie! [face_laugh]

--Adm. Nick

17. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    I think there's actually even more behind the falcon if you rewind or fast forward a few frames.

18. chris1982

chris1982 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 17, 2015
    I think you can count at least 33 star destroyers plus the Executor in the shot where the Imperial fleet first shows up to attack the Rebel armada.

vncredleader and Star_Desperado like this.
  19. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    I don't want to be a party crasher on those vertical yellow ovals.............
    Does anyone want to see an enlargement of one of those? It's not pretty. Not pretty like a certain pretty ship that strangely resembles an outboard motor and uses the curvy leftovers of the plastic kit models used for the construction of the very linear Avenger.

20. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    The verticals are rather obviously Nebulon B's from an overhead frontal pan. You can see the bulge of the forward hull, the squared off engine block at the top and behind, and the dangling "tooth" below. Blue screen compositing loses a lot of extraneous detail at that size and range. You can see 4 in this image (two little ones on the right, one on the left, and the top of one at the bottom of the image), and you can also notice the deflector tower on the "wrong" side (the side that has the model's tracking mount and which is conveniently never filmed).[​IMG]

Cracian_Thumper and vncredleader like this.
  21. Hernalt

Jun 29, 2000
    I have used this image you posted and I see how a community can be pleased to form a consensus that that is the medical frigate. That's good enough for me.

22. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    I wish all composited background ships were so easy to discern. There's at least 5 UFOs in ROTJ alone, and probably as much as 9, and that's to say nothing of the dozen (or more!) at the end of ESB. And NONE of these props to my knowledge have production photographs, let alone names. The Dornean gunship was a lucky gal to get so much attention lately.

23. comradepitrovsky

Jan 5, 2017
    I've actually been trying to form a master list of the Imperial ships lost at Endor, in Legends.. We know there were eighteen ships lost according to warfare. The Executor, a Tector (the Harbinger), a "battlecruiser" (the Pride of Tarlandia?), and fifteen ISDs. Those include Accuser, Adjudicator, Eleemosynary, Pulsar, Devastator, and Vehement, which still leave nineunnamed vessels.

For those, I think the Grey Wolf makes sense, as would the ship that would later be the Skyhook -- I'm not sure otherwise.

vncredleader likes this.
  24. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006

Pride of Tarlandia was the battlecruiser destroyed. The Ilthmar's Fist survived.

According to Legends, the names of Star Destroyers were:

Accuser (captured), Adjudicator (captured), Avenger, Chimaera, Denunciator, Devastator (confirmed destroyed), Eleemosynary (disabled), Indictor, Judicator, Pulsar (captured), Redoubtable, Relentless, Retaliator, Stalker, Thunderflare, Tyrant, Vehement (confirmed destroyed), Virulence and Visage.

Other possibles included: Bellicose, Collosus, Peremptory, Inexorable, Magic Dragon, Nemesis, Resolute, Steadfast, Stormhawk and Whirlwind (Harrsk's ship).

Canon added the Annihilator, Subjugator (engines disabled) and Vigilance.

25. Hernalt

Jun 29, 2000
    Would you share what you know about the following?
    Unambiguously intentional vessels.

Another Mon Cal looking cruiser that I am not aware has an assignment:
    [​IMG]

A Star Trek looking vessel:
    [​IMG]

A corvette sized ship:
    [​IMG]

Two of this same shape, one up side down:
    [​IMG]

Hexogonal / pod cluster bow peeking out from behind transport:
    [​IMG]

Things that LFL may have thrown in to make it “so dense”.

Thin horizontal lines that move in tandem with the flock of unambiguous Nebulon B's:
    [​IMG]

A shape, here in its fullest, about which I have never had the faintest clue. It makes me think of Stormtrooper goggles.
    [​IMG]

Same shape or sort of shape, again. Almost like headphones with full ear, chrome, speakers.
    [​IMG]

vncredleader and MercenaryAce like this.